We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#21 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

Robert was loved by so many, yet in all the tributes and the Private Screening with Alec Baldwin there hasn't been any mention of one significant other in Robert's life.  I assume Robert never married and correct me if I'm wrong.  Respecting his privacy in that regard I can accept but I just can't imagine how a lovely man not to have had someone like this in his life.  Even if he were gay it wouldn't have mattered no one would have cared and who could the lucky person be? They're not telling us.  There are many people who choose to be celibate and they aren't necessarily clergy. If that's the path Robert chose so be it.  His "significant" other is the movies and us his fans who loved him very much as if he had.

• rayban likes this

#22 Golightly11

Golightly11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Many of these I am seeing for the first time in their entirety. I've seen parts of all of them through the years, but not one single episode from start to finish. I think it would be a great idea to continue to show these. Maybe they can couple them with a film with one of their stars, such as airing The Unsinkable Molly Brown, and immediately afterward showing the Debbie Reynolds Private Screening.

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I know I'd watch! These are really great and insightful interviews, and they should really be shown more often.

#23 keech2006

keech2006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Robert Osborne's passing is like losing an old friend.  We here in Detroit had Bill Kennedy and Rita Bell to host movies so I was into old movies when I was very young and when I found TCM and RO I was thrilled.  I am handicapped, walking can be quite difficult at times, and watching TCM and R.O.it really helped brightened my day.  It would be nice if TCM took some of the films he introduced and re-run them when that film is scheduled to be shown.  In a small way, it would be as if he was still there.

• rover27 and MCannady1 like this

#24 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

I've loved spending the day with Robert, one last time. All of the Private Screening's have been fascinating and really show what an amazing interviewer Robert was-- you can see just how much these stars trusted him and adored him. 

Many of these I am seeing for the first time in their entirety. I've seen parts of all of them through the years, but not one single episode from start to finish. I think it would be a great idea to continue to show these. Maybe they can couple them with a film with one of their stars, such as airing The Unsinkable Molly Brown, and immediately afterward showing the Debbie Reynolds Private Screening.

• rover27, catladywdc and film lover 293 like this

#25 chameleon

chameleon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:24 AM

I've really been enjoying (again) watching these interviews. The "Private Screening" with RO + Alec Baldwin has some hilarious moments, including their disagreements over "Mutiny on the Bounty [1962]" + Liz Taylor. Also loved seeing all those old clips of RO's acting career. Those old clips, the late 40s + 50s of Eva Marie Saint are also gems (especially the one with Jack Lemmon). Plus loving re-watching such interesting interviews with Jewison, Borgnine (must have previously missed that he'd married Katy Jurado), Hutton et al. The love of their craft certainly comes through.

My answers that match RO's of dramatic film, "A Place in the Sun," + leading man, William Holden, just strike that film lover's chord in my soul. Seeing the interviews again brings back buried memories of watching these films during my formative years. And they remind me of the breadth of talent these artists demonstrated.

There were some nice original short subjects sprinkled in.…William Windom revealing that Margaret Hamilton was his primary grade school teacher at Rye Country Day. 

In retrospect, perhaps the TCM network anticipated an unexpected end to RO's run. And that in part is why they might've pulled out all the stops for a 20th anniversary celebration, flying in RO's family and bringing together old friends (Alex, Alec LOL [Trebek, Baldwin respectively]) and guest programmers. Yes, Mr. Robert Osborne will be greatly missed. But as a number of folks on these boards have posted, he'll be back in the company of many adored + respected friends who shared his love of the industry. May he Rest In Peace.

• calvinnme, lydecker and MCannady1 like this

#26 Golightly11

Golightly11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

I've loved spending the day with Robert, one last time. All of the Private Screening's have been fascinating and really show what an amazing interviewer Robert was-- you can see just how much these stars trusted him and adored him. It's still hard to believe he's gone. As much as I've loved this tribute to him, it's so very sad to know that this is, essentially, goodbye. But he'll always live on in what he taught us, and I know I'll never forget this great man.

I especially loved seeing his 20th Anniversary Tribute, the part with Alec Baldwin was great! The blooper reel was a big treat-- it was hilarious! I loved seeing Robert let his hair down and seeing his marvelous sense of humor. He must've been a blast to be around!
  • chameleon, calvinnme, rover27 and 2 others like this

#27 rover27

rover27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:18 AM

I'm really loving the Private Screenings with Ernie Borgnine. I think I saw it when it was on a few years back, but Ernie is a great interview. What a character. And Ernie was 92 when he did this interview in 2009. Still sharp as a tack and full of energy. He died 3 years later at age 95.

• chameleon and MCannady1 like this

#28 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

There IS something admirable about the love and affection one bestows upon a movie. However,if his favorite movie happened to be CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC, I might have to reassess that credo.

I can agree up to a point. I am glad that Robert Osborne loved The Razor's Edge like me. It is in my top ten films. However, I respect your favorites too.. Over the years I came to love and respect many of Robert's favorites like Sunset Boulevard. ... Regarding The Razor's Edge; though I like Elsa Lanchester's performances as a rule, it was not for her singing that I love the film. She did display an act of kindness in letting Larry and his friend take the coveted invitation to Elliott, who was dying. The profound acting of Tyrone Power's great sincerity in his role of Larry Darrell, Gene Tierney, Clifton Webb, and Anne Baxter. All delivered a superb performance to me, as well as the fabulous musical track. I do like Flamingo Road too and countless other great 40's films that Robert Osborne introduced us to.
  • lydecker likes this

#29 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

Sigh.

Watching the PRIVATE SCREENINGS WITH ROBERT OSBORNE right now.

I know it should make me happy, but it just makes me very sad.

Me too. I did think it would cheer me up to watch it, but I was very sad to know that he will never return. However, we can all feel comforted in having had this wonderful man's influence on us over the course of several years. Robert Osborne was a class act we were privileged to see and hear as he hosted our favorite films.

#30 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:06 PM

My heart is broken. There are no words to express how much Robert will be missed. So very very sad.

Yes, it is very sad to have lost Robert Osborne. In watching his Private Screenings, I realize that he was not only a connisseur of great films but genuinely cared about celebrities and us, his admiring fans.

#31 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

Private Screenings with Robert Osborne just finished playing on TCM and I am again in awe of a man who grabbed my attention with his intelligence and abundance of fascinating stories told in a way that talks directly to everyone who listens.  Mr. Osborne had quite a talent and I hope he knows how much he will be missed and how much we loved to see his gentle manner and love of show business bring us so much just by introducing movies.  I could listen to him for hours.  The movie era that I grew up with is long gone.  The movie era before I was born was even more fascinating, and Robert brought that to us in his interviews with the stars and telling us the background of some of the best movies I've ever seen.  I do think "Now Voyager" will always be my favorite movie and Robert had wonderful things to say about it. It's painful to know he has left us. No one can take his place.  He was a one-of-a-kind treasure.

I agree heartily about Robert Osborne. He was a great treasure who invited all of us into his world of great films. He will be sorely missed.

Now, Voyager is one of my favorite films - right near the top. My very favorite is All This and Heaven Too which was my mother's favorite. Bette gave us superb performances! I do think that the time before I was born (early 50's) had the best films. Most of the films I love best are from the 30's and 40's. I remember as a child watching TV that my dad said nothing would ever top the 30's. Mom said her favorites were the 40's. Now that I have come full circle, I feel they were both right. I grew up in total awe and admiration of the films of both decades. Though I enjoy some later films of the 50's and 60's, I tend to gravitate back to my essential favorites. In his interviews and Private Screenings our friend Robert Osborne said it all. I even watched films I hadn't planned to see, because of his wonderful enthusiasm.
  • cmovieviewer likes this

#32 Starcat53

Starcat53

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Private Screenings with Robert Osborne just finished playing on TCM and I am again in awe of a man who grabbed my attention with his intelligence and abundance of fascinating stories told in a way that talks directly to everyone who listens.  Mr. Osborne had quite a talent and I hope he knows how much he will be missed and how much we loved to see his gentle manner and love of show business bring us so much just by introducing movies.  I could listen to him for hours.  The movie era that I grew up with is long gone.  The movie era before I was born was even more fascinating, and Robert brought that to us in his interviews with the stars and telling us the background of some of the best movies I've ever seen.  I do think "Now Voyager" will always be my favorite movie and Robert had wonderful things to say about it. It's painful to know he has left us. No one can take his place.  He was a one-of-a-kind treasure.

• rover27, MCannady1 and ThePaintedLady like this

#33 JeanneCrain

JeanneCrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

The more I attempt to find closure with losing Mr. Osborne...in watching his Private Screenings interview the more I want to see and hear him talk about film, the actors and their private lives, the industry, his unique experiences, etc.

Sadly, I've come to realize that although the show must go on there will never be another Robert Osborne... :(

Robert was special far beyond description...we all will miss him and yet be reminded of him when watching a great classic film from the golden era...Robert was truly golden and will always be with us in our hearts. :wub:

• rover27, catladywdc, MCannady1 and 1 other like this

#34 ThePaintedLady

ThePaintedLady

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, California

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

Watching Robert Osborne on Private Screenings (w/Alec Baldwin), I must admit that I've been shedding quite a few tears. He was such a wonderful man. Top class.

• JeanneCrain, rover27 and MCannady1 like this

Let us read and let us dance; two amusements that will never do harm to the world.

-Voltaire

http://scarlettestreet.blogspot.com/ (Film Noir blog)

http://thepaintedlady922.blogspot.com/ (Vintage living)

#35 cmovieviewer

cmovieviewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

I was also entranced by the repeat of the 2014 Private Screenings interview with Robert this morning.  Must admit it brought a few tears while watching it from the perspective of knowing how the story ends so soon afterwards.  Another reminder to me that we must take advantage of and cherish the time we have with our loved ones - it does not last forever.

• MCannady1 likes this

#36 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:54 PM

+1 sigh
Sorry to hear about your waking up early, what is the world like at 6 AM?
(I've always been curious.)

Dark!

#37 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Yep. I hear ya. Inexplicably I woke up at 6 AM today (on a Saturday!!) and while I had no intention of getting up, I turned on the set and there was Alex Baldwin interviewing Robert Osborne. I got so caught up in the interview that I stayed with it and then started to watch the Norman Jewison interview after that. By the way, what a delightful guy. I loved his stories.

It's certainly the end of an era. We all knew Robert Osborne would not go on forever (especially with his many absences in the recent years) but, I think we all hoped, he would go on a few more years. Sigh.

Lydecker

+1 sigh
Sorry to hear about your waking up early, what is the world like at 6 AM?
(I've always been curious.)

#38 harlow10

harlow10

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

My heart is broken. There are no words to express how much Robert will be missed. So very very sad.

• MCannady1 likes this

#39 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yep.  I hear ya.  Inexplicably I woke up at 6 AM today (on a Saturday!!) and while I had no intention of getting up, I turned on the set and there was Alex Baldwin interviewing Robert Osborne.  I got so caught up in the interview that I stayed with it and then started to watch the Norman Jewison interview after that. By the way, what a delightful guy.  I loved his stories.  

It's certainly the end of an era.  We all knew Robert Osborne would not go on forever (especially with his many absences in the recent years) but, I think we all hoped, he would go on a few more years.  Sigh. 

Lydecker

• film lover 293 likes this

#40 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

(Very sad.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic