We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#21 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:12 AM

2 more things about Robert. #A   I wish they-(TCM itself) had done a collectors item book on him, like they do on virtually every famous individual thesedays

But, it rightly should be this network that does such a book

& #B  Too bad Robert didn't have Don Rickles on as a "Guest Programmer'-("GP") or simply as one of his "Private Screenings Guests"

too late for both now though

(P.S. Does anyone know if they are contuing with "Pvt. Screenings' or not?)

#22 FletcherChristian

FletcherChristian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City, NC

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

I fit in part of the way. I love music with a beat too. My favorites are Rock and Roll from the 50's and 60's, as well Pop Rock. Another favorite kind of music for me is Latin music. I love some of the Mariachi Music. My all time favorite group is The Beatles, who came to the States when I was 12. I remember the thrill of seeing them on The Ed Sullivan Show..

I don't listen to the Beatles very often, but i did see Paul McCartney in concert once.  I do like Ringo Starr's drumming, he's left - handed but plays a right - handed drum kit.  Unusual back beat rhythm.

• MCannady1 likes this

Hard House techno, chill hip-hop, a touch of cool jazz.

#23 freerein

freerein

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:31 PM

Looked it up other night & it appears his burial is being kept secret

From what I've read (extensively on the 'net), they are keeping it secret for now to keep the general public away so the stars can pay their respects, either in person or flowers sent.

I also read he was cremated. So who knows. I think folks are just guessing at this point.

Very private, as he was. Suits him, doesn't it? :)

• MCannady1 likes this

#24 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

Looked it up other night & it appears his burial is being kept secret

#25 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

The lack of coverage is understandable.  His name is unrecognizable to at least 95% of adults.

I have always had an interest in older or "classic" films since I was a child growing up in the 50's and 60's. IT has been a pleasure to see Robert Osborne introducing so many wonderful films. I will continue to watch TCM, but will miss Robert. His insight and love of films has made our lives more enriched as we saw and heard him. Many of Robert's favorites are mine too. I too love Sunset Boulevard and Waterloo Bridge. I really enjoyed the article about his life works as well. It is interesting that he was a friend of Jane Darwell, who inspired him to move to California. Also, Lucille Ball was a good friend in Robert's life who inspired him to write about the films he loved best.
  • JoeMastro likes this

#26 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:50 PM

Yep.  I like most types of Electronic music.  Techno, house, rave, trance, hard house.  I like most types of R&B and Hip-hop, disco, and Latin music.  I like most anything really that has rhythm, a cool beat.   Most kinds of Jazz, swing, and cool jazz.

I fit in part of the way. I love music with a beat too. My favorites are Rock and Roll from the 50's and 60's, as well Pop Rock. Another favorite kind of music for me is Latin music. I love some of the Mariachi Music. My all time favorite group is The Beatles, who came to the States when I was 12. I remember the thrill of seeing them on The Ed Sullivan Show..

#27 FletcherChristian

FletcherChristian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

Music is music? Do you like disco, new wave, post-punk, house, classic rock, classic soul, rockabilly, and doo-w o p, as I do?

Yep.  I like most types of Electronic music.  Techno, house, rave, trance, hard house.  I like most types of R&B and Hip-hop, disco, and Latin music.  I like most anything really that has rhythm, a cool beat.   Most kinds of Jazz, swing, and cool jazz.

• MCannady1 likes this

#28 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:29 PM

Are you a BOXING FAN SUCH AS MYSELF? I was administrator  on FB's  (oldschoolboxing)   However, there are a ton more

of above things I mostly enjoy classic rock.  Sinatra's (6 decades of music), soundtracks,

I'm a fan of pre-1980's boxing. After Frazier went down, I basically lost interest.

#29 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,407 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

Maybe if you told them that he's the guy who played "man" in PSYCHO, that would ring a bell.

LOL. You sure they even know what Psycho is?

#30 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 27 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

Many places are inquiring where he chose to be laid to rest, but still can't find anything I doubt it would be next to the network in Atlanta though. Some imbecile thought this?
  • Hibi likes this

#31 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

Music is music? Do you like disco, new wave, post-punk, house, classic rock, classic soul, rockabilly, and doo-w o p, as I do?

Are you a BOXING FAN SUCH AS MYSELF? I was administrator  on FB's  (oldschoolboxing)   However, there are a ton more

of above things I mostly enjoy classic rock.  Sinatra's (6 decades of music), soundtracks,

#32 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:29 AM

Any other fans like Robert o. that pick Oscar winner William Holden-(l9l8-l98l) are all-time A #1 ever?

I've written about this for yrs now & Kevin Costner, Bill Murray & Alec Baldwin without pause vote for the underrated William "Sefton" Holden as either their idol, or favorite film actor

Not only that but Murray loves "Stala7 17" as h

is fav. picture & said he can watch it 100 times

WHO ALSO IS THE SAME BOAT???

(TRIVIA: For the record Bill was never awarded AFI's annual award, but was ranked #25th in it's 2nd & for me superior poll from 1999 AFI's 100 Years...100 Stars"-televised on CBS-TV) Both he & Baldwin insisted there wasn't a role he couldn't play

& due to his sublte roles on screen he only garner 3 Oscar noms 1950 "Sunset Blvd." *"Stalag 17"-(won) & then "Network

#33 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

Interesting point about older films and Jazz music.  I think it depends on environment, and maybe personality and what you like.  I listen to to a lot of Jazz, big music collection.  Dave Brubeck, Harry James, Vince Guaraldi, Sade, Miles Davis, Gene Krupa, ect  More or less all recorded before I was born.  Everything from old school swing Jazz to newer hip - hop styled Jazz I like.  I love everything from Frank Sinatra and Thad Jones to Britney Spears, M.I.A. and Lady Gaga.  Music is music.  The Jazz scene is small, but somewhat healthy.

It's no less with movies.  I like what I like.  Older films, newer films, it's all the same.

• MCannady1 likes this

#34 FletcherChristian

FletcherChristian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

Interesting point about older films and Jazz music.  I think it depends on environment, and maybe personality and what you like.  I listen to to a lot of Jazz, big music collection.  Dave Brubeck, Harry James, Vince Guaraldi, Sade, Miles Davis, Gene Krupa, ect  More or less all recorded before I was born.  Everything from old school swing Jazz to newer hip - hop styled Jazz I like.  I love everything from Frank Sinatra and Thad Jones to Britney Spears, M.I.A. and Lady Gaga.  Music is music.  The Jazz scene is small, but somewhat healthy.

It's no less with movies.  I like what I like.  Older films, newer films, it's all the same.

#35 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,059 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:26 PM

Your post implies that most jazz music was written and recorded many years ago.

I assume most jazz music that is listen to today was written many years ago (say 90% plus).   With regards to recorded;   based on the local jazz station I would say 50% of what they played was recorded 30 or more years ago.    

#36 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

Sad but true;  few people,  even older folks,  spend much time watching movies made before they were born.    Note that the number of people that listen to jazz music is at an all time low.   

Your post implies that most jazz music was written and recorded many years ago.

#37 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,059 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

It's true. I work in an office with people from late 20s to early 60s, virtually all with access to TCM and absolutely no one knew who he was....you are all truly a rare breed who watch....

Sad but true;  few people,  even older folks,  spend much time watching movies made before they were born.    Note that the number of people that listen to jazz music is at an all time low.   

#38 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

It's true. I work in an office with people from late 20s to early 60s, virtually all with access to TCM and absolutely no one knew who he was....you are all truly a rare breed who watch....

Maybe if you told them that he's the guy who played "man" in PSYCHO, that would ring a bell.

• sewhite2000 likes this

#39 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

• RoyCronin likes this

#40 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

I have avoided so far writing about the tremendous loss of Robert Osborne. Mostly due my present duties at work and at home.

Over the years my wife and I have had TCM as part of our cable package, but recently we decided to cancel the subscription that is part of our cable package that includes TCM.

After his death, I thought about the press coverage of his death and the meaning of his life as it related to all of us who watched him over the years. I found the press coverage lacking for someone of his stature. The major networks said practically nothing and it was left to print journalism to cover his death. Which is appropriate considering he WAS a writer and historian. I only hope that the Academy Awards next year give him his due.

I just found this wonderful article written by Matthew Continetti of the Washington Free Beacon:

http://freebeacon.co.../the-movie-man/

The article is well written and explains to those not familiar with Robert Osborne something to think about.

Those of us here on the message boards enjoyed writing about him and at times some here had very strong opinions about his goof-ups on air and his continued mix-ups of certain facts. I always felt that his slight goof-ups were endearing and that anyone could have made the same mistakes. Considering he did quite a few of those wrap arounds each month.

I have always felt that his wrap arounds that he did for the films TCM showed were mostly for the uninitiated or the folks new to the channel and classic films. Those of us who have written here for years are IMHO very well informed (for the most part) and knowledgeable about the films shown on TCM and have formed various opinions about certain film genres and films themselves.

Many have written here that over time they stopped paying attention to these wrap arounds instead choosing to concentrate on his excellent relationships he had built over the years with many of the classic actors he interviewed.

Without TCM there is a void, but with the films TCM shows now, I feel that subscribing to the channel is a bit too much. That is the nice thing about having my own film library. I can watch whatever film I want whenever I want to.

I am hopeful that the future is mostly secure with Ben Mankiewicz taking over as the main host for the channel and will get better with each introduction and or interview he makes. I am also hopeful that whomever else TCM decides to bring on will continue the great tradition that Osborne has left behind.

As I often say about the recently deceased, they are in a better place now. Hopefully in heaven he is screening movies for those who never saw these movies before and has rekindled the relationships with those Hollywood folks he knew for so many years.

Hopefully when he sits down to talk with Robert Mitchum again, Mitchum will be a little nicer and actually talk about his films.

Having TCM was a treat for many years and I for one will miss seeing him.

RIP Mr. Osborne.

The lack of coverage is understandable.  His name is unrecognizable to at least 95% of adults.

• MCannady1 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users