We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

• Please log in to reply
318 replies to this topic

#41 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Sigh.

Watching the PRIVATE SCREENINGS WITH ROBERT OSBORNE right now.

I know it should make me happy, but it just makes me very sad.
  • MCannady1 likes this

#42 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,266 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:25 AM

i've looked everywhere and

i've desperately hoped to find,

the scene from THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946) where ELSA LANCHESTER sings The Bonny Banks of Loch Loman to Tyrone Power after the death of Clifton Webb (am I remembering it right- that is the context, yah?)

annyhoo, while i am not a huge fan of the movie, I respect the Hell out of Osborne's avowed love of it; because there is something truly admirable in the love and affection one will bestow upon things (songs, movies, people) for reasons one cannot always explain. (for me, it's FLAMINGO ROAD and JAWS 3-D; I know others of you have your own issues to work out.)

anyhow...

it is a LOVELY SCENE- my favorite part of the film by a mile-and-a-half, just an exquisite moment and is the end of one of the film's strongest storylines, and on the chance any of you want to go looking for RAZOR'S EDGE, in full online, um it might just be there.

anyhoo, here's the lyrics to the song, BUT I WISH LIKE ANYTHING I COULD JUST POST THE SCENE.)

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Me and my true love were ever wont to gae
On the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond

Ye'll tak' the high road and I'll tak the low road
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye
But me and my true love will never meet again

'Twas there that we parted in yon shady glen
On the steep, steep side of Ben Lomond
Where in the purple hue the hieland hills we view
And the moon coming out in the gloaming

The wee birdies sing and the wild flowers spring
And in sunshine the waters are sleeping
But the broken heart it kens nae second spring again
And the waefu' may cease frae their greetin'

ps- yes I am anywhere that today is St. Patrick's day and this is a Scottish song.

There IS something admirable about the love and affection one bestows upon a movie. However,if his favorite movie happened to be CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC, I might have to reassess that credo.

• MCannady1 likes this

#43 freerein

freerein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

This morning I woke to TCM's Tribute to Roberts Osborne. During the night, I  had dreamed I was sobbing because he was gone, and I missed him terribly. I was walking down a cobblestone sidewalk, and I saw his 3 apartments (all on ground level and in an L-shape), and I thought I  saw him in a window. I ran in looking for him, only to realize it was just a painting of him hanging on the opposite wall of the window. I felt so let down, until these two gentleman, whom I did not recognize, walked in. One asked me why I was so dispirited, and I told him, "He was my idol. I never got to meet him and get to know him, and now I'll never have the chance".

He reached for a book from the shelves holding all of Robert Osborne's vast collection, opened it, and pulled out four seed packets, and handed them to me, saying, "Sow these seeds and you will know everything you  ever needed to know about him".

The first seed packet was "Kindness", the second packet was "Integrity",  the third was "Grace Through Humility", and the fourth was "Humor". 

I asked this gentleman, "Where do I plant the seeds?"

His reply was, "Everywhere".

Yeah, Robert Osborne in seed form to be planted "everywhere".

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Osborne. Thanks for letting us in. Even if it was only virtually, we did know the person you truly were from the seeds you planted in everyone's life....even ours.

• harlow10 and MCannady1 like this

#44 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

Robert Osborne discussed his career in a wide-ranging 2009 interview with Kathy Connell for the Screen Actors Guild-AFTRA Foundation.

• MCannady1 likes this

#45 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

i've looked everywhere and

i've desperately hoped to find,

the scene from THE RAZOR'S EDGE (1946) where ELSA LANCHESTER sings The Bonny Banks of Loch Loman to Tyrone Power after the death of Clifton Webb (am I remembering it right- that is the context, yah?)

annyhoo, while i am not a huge fan of the movie, I respect the Hell out of Osborne's avowed love of it; because there is something truly admirable in the love and affection one will bestow upon things (songs, movies, people) for reasons one cannot always explain. (for me, it's FLAMINGO ROAD and JAWS 3-D; I know others of you have your own issues to work out.)

anyhow...

it is a LOVELY SCENE- my favorite part of the film by a mile-and-a-half, just an exquisite moment and is the end of one of the film's strongest storylines, and on the chance any of you want to go looking for RAZOR'S EDGE, in full online, um it might just be there.

anyhoo, here's the lyrics to the song, BUT I WISH LIKE ANYTHING I COULD JUST POST THE SCENE.)

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Me and my true love were ever wont to gae

Ye'll tak' the high road and I'll tak the low road
And I'll be in Scotland afore ye
But me and my true love will never meet again

'Twas there that we parted in yon shady glen
On the steep, steep side of Ben Lomond
Where in the purple hue the hieland hills we view
And the moon coming out in the gloaming

The wee birdies sing and the wild flowers spring
And in sunshine the waters are sleeping
But the broken heart it kens nae second spring again
And the waefu' may cease frae their greetin'

ps- yes I am anywhere that today is St. Patrick's day and this is a Scottish song.

• BelleLeGrand1 likes this

#46 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,266 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:09 PM

oh, and here's a link to a very good NY Times article/interview with Robert about his apartment(s)- he apparently owned three in a building called "The Osborne"

delish.

http://www.nytimes.c...ate/21habi.html

the first paragraph:

A Home Destined by the Stars

JOANNE KAUFMAN

MAY 21, 2006

ROBERT OSBORNE, the genial host of Turner Classic Movies, lives at the Osborne;

in fact, he has three apartments there. It is a situation that appears to have been fated by the stars — and not the celestial sort.

"I was interested that there was a building called the Osborne spelled the same way I spell my name," said Mr. Osborne, who is in his mid-60's ("My age and my phone number are both unlisted," is his standard line) and who first became aware of the Osborne, a Renaissance Revival building on 57th Street just off Seventh Avenue while reading Rosalind's Russell's autobiography, "Life is a Banquet."

Russell, he recounts, went to Leonard Bernstein's office at the Osborne to sing for the composer before being cast in his 1953 musical "Wonderful Town."

It makes perfect sense that Mr. Osborne would make hay of real estate information from a movie star's memoir; his whole life has been shaped by people whose names tended to appear above the title.

(for the whole article w/ pics click the link)

Coincidentally, I used to live at DownGoesFrazier Gardens.

• lydecker, Barton_Keyes, LornaHansonForbes and 1 other like this

#47 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

LOL. How appropriate......

#48 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

oh, and here's a link to a very good NY Times article/interview with Robert about his apartment(s)- he apparently owned three in a building called "The Osborne"

delish.

http://www.nytimes.c...ate/21habi.html

the first paragraph:

A Home Destined by the Stars

JOANNE KAUFMAN

MAY 21, 2006

ROBERT OSBORNE, the genial host of Turner Classic Movies, lives at the Osborne;

in fact, he has three apartments there. It is a situation that appears to have been fated by the stars — and not the celestial sort.

"I was interested that there was a building called the Osborne spelled the same way I spell my name," said Mr. Osborne, who is in his mid-60's ("My age and my phone number are both unlisted," is his standard line) and who first became aware of the Osborne, a Renaissance Revival building on 57th Street just off Seventh Avenue while reading Rosalind's Russell's autobiography, "Life is a Banquet."

Russell, he recounts, went to Leonard Bernstein's office at the Osborne to sing for the composer before being cast in his 1953 musical "Wonderful Town."

It makes perfect sense that Mr. Osborne would make hay of real estate information from a movie star's memoir; his whole life has been shaped by people whose names tended to appear above the title.

(for the whole article w/ pics click the link)

• BelleLeGrand1 and catladywdc like this

#49 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,735 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

HONESTLY, I KINDA THINK TAKING A LONG AMBLE DOWN ESOTERIC CHARACTER ACTOR LANE IS A GREAT WAY TO PAY TRIBUTE to Osborne.

I think he'd like it.

**NOTE, I AM NOT MAD, I keep leaving my CAPS LOCK button on and I type fast, but often without looking at the screen, and Im getting lazy in my old age and i hate to go back and redo it.

#50 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,266 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

I can now stop reading this thread.

Every thread, no matter how tasteful, admirable, and on-point, gets derailed eventually.

• LornaHansonForbes likes this

#51 slaytonf

slaytonf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

Mrs. Columbo later emerged as the star of her own TV mystery series.

mrs-columbo-1.jpg

I can now stop reading this thread.

• catladywdc and LawrenceA like this

#52 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

She was also Billy Crystal's ex-wife in Throw Momma From the Train.

#53 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

She should have remained unseen.

Yes, but, after that, she ended up as a Star Trek Captain.  Way cooler than being Mrs. Columbo.

#54 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:39 PM

LOL. I dont even remember that show........

#55 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,266 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

mrs-columbo-1.jpg

• catladywdc likes this

#56 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

I'm glad I recorded one of his "Bob's Picks" in 2008 to DVD. He picked 1929's "The Squall" which is a simply dreadful early talking picture and one of the reasons Myrna Loy left Warner Brothers as soon as she could and never looked back. Bob's introduction was absolutely hilarious and he admitted it was a guilty pleasure. I could definitely see that "irreverent" side of him that his family spoke of in his obituary.

Yes. A truly awful early talkie. (LOL). Myrna plays a naughty gypsy!

#57 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:52 PM

Robert Osborne was a lover of cinema.  I loved his lucid and insightful introductions to TCM films.  And his "Bob's Picks" would showcase lesser known pictures.  He'll be missed.

I'm glad I recorded one of his "Bob's Picks" in 2008 to DVD. He picked 1929's "The Squall" which is a simply dreadful early talking picture and one of the reasons Myrna Loy left Warner Brothers as soon as she could and never looked back. Bob's introduction was absolutely hilarious and he admitted it was a guilty pleasure. I could definitely see that "irreverent" side of him that his family spoke of in his obituary.

• lydecker and catladywdc like this

#58 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Robert Osborne was a lover of cinema.  I loved his lucid and insightful introductions to TCM films.  And his "Bob's Picks" would showcase lesser known pictures.  He'll be missed.

#59 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,830 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:09 PM

She was unseen. Sort of like Edward my Son, Larry Mondello's father or Lt. Columbo's wife.

mrs-columbo-1.jpg

• calvinnme likes this

#60 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,266 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

I don't think she ever was his wife. To my knowledge, Robert Osborne was never married.

She was unseen. Sort of like Edward my Son, Larry Mondello's father or Lt. Columbo's wife.

• chameleon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users