We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Our Members Tributes to Robert Osborne (1932-2017)

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#41 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,791 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

It's true. I work in an office with people from late 20s to early 60s, virtually all with access to TCM and absolutely no one knew who he was....you are all truly a rare breed who watch....

Sad but true;  few people,  even older folks,  spend much time watching movies made before they were born.    Note that the number of people that listen to jazz music is at an all time low.   

#42 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

It's true. I work in an office with people from late 20s to early 60s, virtually all with access to TCM and absolutely no one knew who he was....you are all truly a rare breed who watch....

Maybe if you told them that he's the guy who played "man" in PSYCHO, that would ring a bell.

• sewhite2000 likes this

#43 RoyCronin

RoyCronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 March 2017 - 01:53 PM

• RoyCronin likes this

#44 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

I have avoided so far writing about the tremendous loss of Robert Osborne. Mostly due my present duties at work and at home.

Over the years my wife and I have had TCM as part of our cable package, but recently we decided to cancel the subscription that is part of our cable package that includes TCM.

After his death, I thought about the press coverage of his death and the meaning of his life as it related to all of us who watched him over the years. I found the press coverage lacking for someone of his stature. The major networks said practically nothing and it was left to print journalism to cover his death. Which is appropriate considering he WAS a writer and historian. I only hope that the Academy Awards next year give him his due.

I just found this wonderful article written by Matthew Continetti of the Washington Free Beacon:

http://freebeacon.co.../the-movie-man/

The article is well written and explains to those not familiar with Robert Osborne something to think about.

Those of us here on the message boards enjoyed writing about him and at times some here had very strong opinions about his goof-ups on air and his continued mix-ups of certain facts. I always felt that his slight goof-ups were endearing and that anyone could have made the same mistakes. Considering he did quite a few of those wrap arounds each month.

I have always felt that his wrap arounds that he did for the films TCM showed were mostly for the uninitiated or the folks new to the channel and classic films. Those of us who have written here for years are IMHO very well informed (for the most part) and knowledgeable about the films shown on TCM and have formed various opinions about certain film genres and films themselves.

Many have written here that over time they stopped paying attention to these wrap arounds instead choosing to concentrate on his excellent relationships he had built over the years with many of the classic actors he interviewed.

Without TCM there is a void, but with the films TCM shows now, I feel that subscribing to the channel is a bit too much. That is the nice thing about having my own film library. I can watch whatever film I want whenever I want to.

I am hopeful that the future is mostly secure with Ben Mankiewicz taking over as the main host for the channel and will get better with each introduction and or interview he makes. I am also hopeful that whomever else TCM decides to bring on will continue the great tradition that Osborne has left behind.

As I often say about the recently deceased, they are in a better place now. Hopefully in heaven he is screening movies for those who never saw these movies before and has rekindled the relationships with those Hollywood folks he knew for so many years.

Hopefully when he sits down to talk with Robert Mitchum again, Mitchum will be a little nicer and actually talk about his films.

Having TCM was a treat for many years and I for one will miss seeing him.

RIP Mr. Osborne.

The lack of coverage is understandable.  His name is unrecognizable to at least 95% of adults.

• MCannady1 likes this

#45 fxreyman

fxreyman

I never shot nobody I didn't have to.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • LocationLibertyville, Illinois

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:36 AM

I have avoided so far writing about the tremendous loss of Robert Osborne. Mostly due my present duties at work and at home.

Over the years my wife and I have had TCM as part of our cable package, but recently we decided to cancel the subscription that is part of our cable package that includes TCM.

After his death, I thought about the press coverage of his death and the meaning of his life as it related to all of us who watched him over the years. I found the press coverage lacking for someone of his stature. The major networks said practically nothing and it was left to print journalism to cover his death. Which is appropriate considering he WAS a writer and historian. I only hope that the Academy Awards next year give him his due.

I just found this wonderful article written by Matthew Continetti of the Washington Free Beacon:

http://freebeacon.co.../the-movie-man/

The article is well written and explains to those not familiar with Robert Osborne something to think about.

Those of us here on the message boards enjoyed writing about him and at times some here had very strong opinions about his goof-ups on air and his continued mix-ups of certain facts. I always felt that his slight goof-ups were endearing and that anyone could have made the same mistakes. Considering he did quite a few of those wrap arounds each month.

I have always felt that his wrap arounds that he did for the films TCM showed were mostly for the uninitiated or the folks new to the channel and classic films. Those of us who have written here for years are IMHO very well informed (for the most part) and knowledgeable about the films shown on TCM and have formed various opinions about certain film genres and films themselves.

Many have written here that over time they stopped paying attention to these wrap arounds instead choosing to concentrate on his excellent relationships he had built over the years with many of the classic actors he interviewed.

Without TCM there is a void, but with the films TCM shows now, I feel that subscribing to the channel is a bit too much. That is the nice thing about having my own film library. I can watch whatever film I want whenever I want to.

I am hopeful that the future is mostly secure with Ben Mankiewicz taking over as the main host for the channel and will get better with each introduction and or interview he makes. I am also hopeful that whomever else TCM decides to bring on will continue the great tradition that Osborne has left behind.

As I often say about the recently deceased, they are in a better place now. Hopefully in heaven he is screening movies for those who never saw these movies before and has rekindled the relationships with those Hollywood folks he knew for so many years.

Hopefully when he sits down to talk with Robert Mitchum again, Mitchum will be a little nicer and actually talk about his films.

Mr. Osborne had a great on-air presence and he was well-respected in the industry and loved by his fans even with any of his on-air goofs.

Having TCM was a treat for many years and I for one will miss seeing him.

RIP Mr. Osborne.

• mr6666 likes this

#46 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,791 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:56 PM

Susan King,  who is the classic movie writer for the L.A. Times interviewed Shirley MacLaine related to her recent Oscar showing with Charlize Theron.    Shirley was asked about Robert Osborne:

Susan:  You were friends with the late Robert Osborne,  the beloved TCM host and film historian.  What will you miss about him?

SM: Oh, my god.   So many memories flow through my mind.  I knew him for years.  He was one of the first people who interviewed me.   He loved all of us guys,  you know.  He just loved all the actors.  What went with him was a golden history we are all a part of.

• calvinnme, catladywdc, HelenBaby2 and 1 other like this

#47 cody1949

cody1949

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Robert was like an old friend. I am handicapped too with spinal stenosis. I had Scoliosis as a child and it seemed like it would not escalate after I was out of my teens. Just a few years ago my spine was collapsing and I had the first surgery in 2011, Since that time I have had 2 more surgeries, but have not regained my posture. I am awkward, even with the walker! But I am lucky to have a hubby who brings me to appointments and does a lot. I always looked forward to seeing Robert on TCM. He brightened my day considerably. I think he will long be revered and remembered as a great host who really loved hosting TCM's great films. THough he can never be replaced, he has inspired countless people to continue on the path of great viewing, and even some younger movie fans.

Well said my friend MCannady1.  Take care of yourself and regards to your dedicated husband.  We will all miss Robert and what he has contributed to our enjoyment of the cinema over the years.

#48 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:29 AM

I was wondering why they didn't have more of the Private Screenings this past weekend instead of repeating the same 5 or so all weekend. There must have been a reason.

Beats me. I thought the same. Also wonder why TCM doesnt sell copies of Private Screenings? Maybe they'd have to pay the performers?

#49 rover27

rover27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

I loved the Alec Baldwin interview with R.O. I recorded and watched part of it the first time, but missed some stuff (the DVR went bad and I lost everything stored on it) He really had movie star looks when he was younger. I loved watching the Betty Hutton interview again. I know that was his favorite and it really rescued her from obscurity. I wish they'd show the Private Screenings more and dont really understand why they dont.

I was wondering why they didn't have more of the Private Screenings this past weekend instead of repeating the same 5 or so all weekend. There must have been a reason.

• mr6666, lydecker, sagebrush and 2 others like this

#50 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Robert Osborne's passing is like losing an old friend.  We here in Detroit had Bill Kennedy and Rita Bell to host movies so I was into old movies when I was very young and when I found TCM and RO I was thrilled.  I am handicapped, walking can be quite difficult at times, and watching TCM and R.O.it really helped brightened my day.  It would be nice if TCM took some of the films he introduced and re-run them when that film is scheduled to be shown.  In a small way, it would be as if he was still there.

Robert was like an old friend. I am handicapped too with spinal stenosis. I had Scoliosis as a child and it seemed like it would not escalate after I was out of my teens. Just a few years ago my spine was collapsing and I had the first surgery in 2011, Since that time I have had 2 more surgeries, but have not regained my posture. I am awkward, even with the walker! But I am lucky to have a hubby who brings me to appointments and does a lot. I always looked forward to seeing Robert on TCM. He brightened my day considerably. I think he will long be revered and remembered as a great host who really loved hosting TCM's great films. THough he can never be replaced, he has inspired countless people to continue on the path of great viewing, and even some younger movie fans.

#51 MCannady1

MCannady1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:48 PM

This morning I woke to TCM's Tribute to Roberts Osborne. During the night, I  had dreamed I was sobbing because he was gone, and I missed him terribly. I was walking down a cobblestone sidewalk, and I saw his 3 apartments (all on ground level and in an L-shape), and I thought I  saw him in a window. I ran in looking for him, only to realize it was just a painting of him hanging on the opposite wall of the window. I felt so let down, until these two gentleman, whom I did not recognize, walked in. One asked me why I was so dispirited, and I told him, "He was my idol. I never got to meet him and get to know him, and now I'll never have the chance".

He reached for a book from the shelves holding all of Robert Osborne's vast collection, opened it, and pulled out four seed packets, and handed them to me, saying, "Sow these seeds and you will know everything you  ever needed to know about him".

The first seed packet was "Kindness", the second packet was "Integrity",  the third was "Grace Through Humility", and the fourth was "Humor". 

I asked this gentleman, "Where do I plant the seeds?"

His reply was, "Everywhere".

Yeah, Robert Osborne in seed form to be planted "everywhere".

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Osborne. Thanks for letting us in. Even if it was only virtually, we did know the person you truly were from the seeds you planted in everyone's life....even ours.

What a lovely dream and so true! Robert Osborne was the embodiment of all those virtues and would have been as wonderful person to know.
  • Hibi and freerein like this

#52 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,981 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:22 PM

I loved the Alec Baldwin interview with R.O. I recorded and watched part of it the first time, but missed some stuff (the DVR went bad and I lost everything stored on it) He really had movie star looks when he was younger. I loved watching the Betty Hutton interview again. I know that was his favorite and it really rescued her from obscurity. I wish they'd show the Private Screenings more and dont really understand why they dont.

• freerein likes this

#53 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

In case any of you have the "on demand" option on your cable, many of the "Private Screenings" that they shared this weekend are available, including the one where Baldwin interviewed Osborne.

#54 FletcherChristian

FletcherChristian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationThe Queen City, NC

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:23 PM

I feel the same way as many of you about Robert Osborne:  shocked but not surprised at his passing away.  Considering his TCM schedule the last few years, obviously he wasn't in the best of health.  It's a bit funny, and odd, but you feel like you get to know a person to a small degree when you see them on T.V. for years.  Not a character on a show, but just a person who shares the same interests as TCM viewers.  

RO was the image of TCM.  Whether it was viewers who enjoy TCM films because it reminds them of movies when they were growing up, casual fans or serious film buffs, or like myself someone who grew up decades past old school Hollywood....it doesn't matter.  RO appealed to all types.

TCM won't be quite the same without Robert Osborne, and it shouldn't be.  But just like the "old" films that fans enjoy watching here go on year after year long after the people involved are gone...so will TCM.  Personally, I like Ben.  He's been, unofficially anyways, the lead host the last few years.  He is different than RO, and that's good, he has his own style.  I also like Tiffany.  Or they may keep to the host - by - committee approach going, guests hosting some days along with Ben and Tiffany.  Alec Baldwin, Rose McGowan, Drew Barrymore, and a few others i've liked in the past.  We'll see.

Cheers to RO.

Hard House techno, chill hip-hop, a touch of cool jazz.

#55 catladywdc

catladywdc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

Some folks make it clear they want their professional and personal lives kept separate. I applaud that. I actually wish I knew less about a lot of famous people! ;)

Amen!   Much less :wacko:

• MCannady1 and im4cinema2 like this

#56 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

I am so glad that since I got my first DVD recorder back in June 2007 I've been recording all of Robert's interviews and wrap arounds, particularly when he had guest programmers or special guests from various film archives. I've got some even older ones on VHS tape, but due to the bulky size of that format my recording was more sporadic back then.  This morning I pulled out the "March of Time" shorts TCM aired  in 2010, and there was Bob doing the intros. It's comforting.

• chameleon and MCannady1 like this

#57 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

Robert was loved by so many, yet in all the tributes and the Private Screening with Alec Baldwin there hasn't been any mention of one significant other in Robert's life.  I assume Robert never married and correct me if I'm wrong.  Respecting his privacy in that regard I can accept but I just can't imagine how a lovely man not to have had someone like this in his life.  Even if he were gay it wouldn't have mattered no one would have cared and who could the lucky person be? They're not telling us.  There are many people who choose to be celibate and they aren't necessarily clergy. If that's the path Robert chose so be it.  His "significant" other is the movies and us his fans who loved him very much as if he had.

He did eventually come out, but it's not TCM's role to hammer home that fact.

• catladywdc, MCannady1, im4cinema2 and 1 other like this

#58 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:05 AM

Robert was loved by so many, yet in all the tributes and the Private Screening with Alec Baldwin there hasn't been any mention of one significant other in Robert's life.  I assume Robert never married and correct me if I'm wrong.  Respecting his privacy in that regard I can accept but I just can't imagine how a lovely man not to have had someone like this in his life.  Even if he were gay it wouldn't have mattered no one would have cared and who could the lucky person be? They're not telling us.  There are many people who choose to be celibate and they aren't necessarily clergy. If that's the path Robert chose so be it.  His "significant" other is the movies and us his fans who loved him very much as if he had.

Some folks make it clear they want their professional and personal lives kept separate. I applaud that. I actually wish I knew less about a lot of famous people! ;)

• catladywdc, im4cinema2 and rayban like this

#59 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:14 PM

• rayban likes this

#60 Golightly11

Golightly11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Many of these I am seeing for the first time in their entirety. I've seen parts of all of them through the years, but not one single episode from start to finish. I think it would be a great idea to continue to show these. Maybe they can couple them with a film with one of their stars, such as airing The Unsinkable Molly Brown, and immediately afterward showing the Debbie Reynolds Private Screening.

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I know I'd watch! These are really great and insightful interviews, and they should really be shown more often.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users