We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Audrey Hepburn as SOTM June 2017

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

Sunday, July 30 at 4:00PM.

Thanks. Better timing there.

#2 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:13 PM

They are also repeating [TWO FOR THE ROAD] again later in the year, I forgot when.

Sunday, July 30 at 4:00PM.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

The final Audrey film airs on June 30th, at 2:00 a.m. E.S.T.  "Two For The Road" (1967) airs on TCM's last European Vacation night of the month.  

YES. It should have been included in the SOTM tribute, but at least they are showing it. And once again they are running one of her best films at 2AM, but at least it's on a Friday. They are also repeating it again later in the year, I forgot when.

• film lover 293 likes this

#4 film lover 293

film lover 293

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

The final Audrey film airs on June 30th, at 2:00 a.m. E.S.T.  "Two For The Road" (1967) airs on TCM's last European Vacation night of the month.  

• TopBilled likes this

#5 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

And no thanks to TCM for scheduling War and Peace for 2am in the morning. Would've been a better spot for Always, another film Audrey has a small part in and not really connected to the plot that much . I'll have to free up some space on the DVR to record it. And why schedule Lavender Hill Mob this week during primetime? Ridiculous. Audrey has one line and if you blink, you miss her. Secret People in which Audrey has a major role ran in the early morning hours....

#6 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

The last evening of Audrey's month-long tribute is coming up. Most of these seldom air on TCM, so consider them a real treat:

monday june 26, 2017

paris when it sizzles (1963) with william holden

funny face (1957) with fred astaire

always (1989) with richard dreyfuss

war and peace (1956) with mel ferrer

My research reveals that PARIS WHEN IT SIZZLES last aired on TCM in October 2008, FUNNY FACE hasn't aired since February 2009, ALWAYS hasn't aired since August 2006, and WAR AND PEACE last aired in February 2010. Get those DVRs ready, because if history is any indicator they won't show up on TCM again in this decade.

• TopBilled likes this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

The last evening of Audrey's month-long tribute is coming up. Most of these seldom air on TCM, so consider them a real treat:

monday june 26, 2017

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#8 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,583 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

Well, they cant very well expect R.O. to write a new column for Audrey..........

#9 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

They're going back into the archives for that one. Is it when she was last honored as SOTM?

Yes. In fact, June 2017 will only be the second time that Audrey Hepburn was SOTM, though I'm sure she's been honored during Summer Under the Stars several times.

• TopBilled likes this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:38 PM

Robert Osborne's column on Audrey Hepburn, which originally appeared in the July 2005 issue of Now Playing​, is featured here: http://www.tcm.com/t...ys-in-June.html

They're going back into the archives for that one. Is it when she was last honored as SOTM?

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#11 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:30 PM

Robert Osborne's column on Audrey Hepburn, which originally appeared in the July 2005 issue of Now Playing​, is featured here: http://www.tcm.com/t...ys-in-June.html

#12 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

TCM is also showing Hepburn in TWO FOR THE ROAD ('67), airing June 30 as part of a special theme called 'European Vacations'.

1967_film_two_for_the_road_cast_01.jpg

• mr6666 and TopBilled like this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

screen-shot-2017-03-10-at-9-50-01-am.png

monday june 5, 2017

roman holiday (1953) with gregory peck

love in the afternoon (1957) with gary cooper

green mansions (1959) with anthony perkins

we go to monte carlo (1953) with jules munshin

laughter in paradise (1951) with alastair sim

monday june 12, 2017

breakfast at tiffany's (1961) with george peppard

my fair lady (1964) with rex harrison

the nun's story (1959) with peter finch

the children's hour (1961) with shirley maclaine

tuesday june 13, 2017

the unforgiven (1960) with burt lancaster

monday june 19, 2017

how to steal a million (1966) with peter o'toole

wait until dark (1967) with alan arkin

the lavender hill mob (1952) with alec guinness

the secret people (1952) with valentina cortese

monday june 26, 2017

tuesday june 27, 2017

robin and marian (1976) with sean connery

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#14 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 11:32 AM

I've updated the title of the thread, since we just found out Audrey Hepburn is the Star of the Month in June. I will post which titles are being presented.

In the meantime TCM is doing a monthly spotlight on gay-themed classic cinema.

#15 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:26 PM

James, it's alright. Everyone has their own opinion.

Top Billed, thanks for answering my question. I like the idea of Alec Guinness as SOTM. Like I mentioned in my previous post, Guinness has done movies in every genre, so it would be fun to see his body of work (outside of Star Wars). Like you said at the end of your last post, movies are made for entertainment and for us to celebrate the accomplishments of the actors.

• TopBilled likes this

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,575 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Top Billed, I have a question for you about this topic. Would there be a possibility of a bisexual actor as SOTM if the theme keeps going?

I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong here) Errol Flynn, Greta Garbo, and Marlene Dietrich have all been SOTM multiple times. Alec Guinness would be an interesting candidate because he has appeared in movies of every genre (though I doubt TCM would show Star Wars). Tyrone Power and Yul Brynner have never been SOTM, but they would be good candidates as well. Plus, a lot of people don't even know they're bi.

I think Alec Guiness would make a great Star of the Month. And obviously, a person's orientation doesn't have to be considered when selecting a star to honor. But I think the past two years TCM did try to select people who were known to be gay (Rock Hudson, Marie Dressler) as a nod to gay pride month.

It's not about 'outing' people but about celebrating accomplishments in film by people from all walks of life.

#17 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

Read this about Yul Brynner. This is how I found out. http://gayinfluence....ul-brynner.html

I never claimed none of the people you mentioned were not 'bi'.    Anyhow I still stand by my point that it isn't right (fair),  to 'out' someone's sexual orientation unless that matches their wishes.    Instead we should respect their right to privacy.

#18 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

I question if you really 'know they're bi'.   First just having sex with someone from the same sex doesn't make one 'bi' (at least to me),  and while there were rumors about people like Grant and Randolph (because,  oh my they owned a place in Malibu together),  that doesn't prove they are bi.   

To me the right thing to do is to only honor someone as a gay,  lesbian or a bisexual actor that was open about it;  e.g. Hunter.

Read this about Yul Brynner. This is how I found out. http://gayinfluence....ul-brynner.html

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#19 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,505 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:57 PM

Top Billed, I have a question for you about this topic. Would there be a possibility of a bisexual actor as SOTM if the theme keeps going?

I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong here) Errol Flynn, Greta Garbo, and Marlene Dietrich have all been SOTM multiple times. Alec Guinness would be an interesting candidate because he has appeared in movies of every genre (though I doubt TCM would show Star Wars). I don't know if Tyrone Power or Yul Brynner have ever been SOTM, but they would be good candidates as well. Plus, a lot of people don't even know they're bi.

I question if you really 'know they're bi'.   First just having sex with someone from the same sex doesn't make one 'bi' (at least to me),  and while there were rumors about people like Grant and Randolph (because,  oh my they owned a place in Malibu together),  that doesn't prove they are bi.   

To me the right thing to do is to only honor someone as a gay,  lesbian or a bisexual actor that was open about it;  e.g. Hunter.

#20 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong here) Errol Flynn, Greta Garbo, and Marlene Dietrich have all been SOTM multiple times. Alec Guinness would be an interesting candidate because he has appeared in movies of every genre (though I doubt TCM would show Star Wars). Tyrone Power and Yul Brynner have never been SOTM, but they would be good candidates as well. Plus, a lot of people don't even know they're bi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users