We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Audrey Hepburn as SOTM June 2017

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

I don't wish to appear I'm throwing Tab under the bus but the original question posed was "then which candidates seem deserving":

While other STOMs like Novak and Vivien Leigh appeared in a limited number of films they were major stars in their era.   I just don't see Hunter being in the same "category".

So yea,  Hunter has enough films to be STOM but I don't feel he is deserving.   Someone like  Edward Everett Horton is much more so and the overall film quality of a Horton tribute would be miles ahead of one for Hunter (IMO).

It's kind of like apples and oranges. Horton and Hunter were from different eras and the films they made reflect those different times. I'd like to see both get a month-long retrospective (separate months of course).

Since Tab is still living, and there is a recent book on him-- this kind of stuff ties in with TCM's on-air marketing. Also they could have Tab appear at one of their film festivals like they did with Novak. 

When you look at how they design the evenings, they usually lead off with one or two well-known titles then the rest of the evening is the lesser stuff the stars did (the B films, the flops, the obscure foreign films, etc.). One night they can lead off with BATTLE CRY and go into his other war films. One night they can lead off with the two films he did alongside Natalie Wood and go into his lighter rom-coms. One night they can lead with GUNMAN'S WALK and go into his westerns. And on the other night they can lead off with RIDE THE WILD SURF and go into his low-budget fare from the 60s and 70s. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

When Kim Novak was Star of the Month, the programmers used just 16 films (four nights with just four films each night). I think Tab certainly has 16 fairly decent studio era films. The programmers could feature a night focusing on the lower budget stuff he did later in his career if they wanted to include a fifth evening. It's do-able.

I don't wish to appear I'm throwing Tab under the bus but the original question posed was "then which candidates seem deserving":

While other STOMs like Novak and Vivien Leigh appeared in a limited number of films they were major stars in their era.   I just don't see Hunter being in the same "category".

So yea,  Hunter has enough films to be STOM but I don't feel he is deserving.   Someone like  Edward Everett Horton is much more so and the overall film quality of a Horton tribute would be miles ahead of one for Hunter (IMO).

#23 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

Typically SOTM needs at least 30 films and I reviewed Tab Hunter's films prior to making my reply and I just don't see where there are enough even 'OK' Hunter films for SOTM.    Yea, TCM could show the films he made latter in this career but most of those are silly stinkers.

When Kim Novak was Star of the Month, the programmers used just 16 films (four nights with just four films each night). I think Tab certainly has 16 fairly decent studio era films. The programmers could feature a night focusing on the lower budget stuff he did later in his career if they wanted to include a fifth evening. It's do-able.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#24 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Even though I'm not a big Tab Hunter fan (I always preferred Troy Donahue of the two), I can see why Hunter would be a good candidate.

Typically SOTM needs at least 30 films and I reviewed Tab Hunter's films prior to making my reply and I just don't see where there are enough even 'OK' Hunter films for SOTM.    Yea, TCM could show the films he made latter in this career but most of those are silly stinkers.

#25 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Even though I'm not a big Tab Hunter fan (I always preferred Troy Donahue of the two), I can see why Hunter would be a good candidate.

Yes, I think he'd be an interesting choice as well.

#26 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:20 AM

Within a week or so, we should be finding out who the Star of the Month will be in June.

There's been a trend the last two years, related to gay and lesbian pride (which is typically celebrated each June), that the Star of the Month for June is either gay or lesbian. Two summers ago we had Rock Hudson, and last year it was Marie Dressler's turn.

If the trend continues (not saying it will, but if it does)-- then which candidates seem deserving..?

Maybe Tab Hunter. Lizabeth Scott. Patsy Kelly (a real trailblazer, an out lesbian in production code Hollywood). Edward Everett Horton. Who would you select?

Or it could be a bisexual's turn.

So it's possible Greta Garbo, Marlene Dietrich, Marlon Brando, Cary Grant, Randolph Scott, Danny Kaye, Alec Guinness, Errol Flynn, Tyrone Power, or Yul Brynner could be SOTM.

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#27 jinsinna13

jinsinna13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:14 AM

Edward Everett Horton was a leading man when sound came in-- by today's standards he seems very miscast in romantic roles of the early 1930s. But he had a long and varied career with many 'essential' films to his credit. 

I agree that Lizabeth Scott was a lead in many quality films. She seems the most iconic. Tab Hunter, who is more "out" and still living, was under contract to Warners and TCM has access to a lot of his motion pictures.

"Believe in what your heart is saying. Hear the melody that's playing. There's no time to waste. There's so much to celebrate. Believe in what you feel inside. And give your dreams the wings to fly. You have everything you need. If you just believe."  Josh Groban- "Believe"

#28 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:29 PM

To me from that listing only Lizabeth Scott has enough leading parts in high quality films for SOTM.     Horton was a supporting player in many high qualify films but is that 'enough' for SOTM?

Edward Everett Horton was a leading man when sound came in-- by today's standards he seems very miscast in romantic roles of the early 1930s. But he had a long and varied career with many 'essential' films to his credit. 

I agree that Lizabeth Scott was a lead in many quality films. She seems the most iconic. Tab Hunter, who is more "out" and still living, was under contract to Warners and TCM has access to a lot of his motion pictures.

#29 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,529 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:21 PM

Within a week or so, we should be finding out who the Star of the Month will be in June.

There's been a trend the last two years, related to gay and lesbian pride (which is typically celebrated each June), that the Star of the Month for June is either gay or lesbian. Two summers ago we had Rock Hudson, and last year it was Marie Dressler's turn.

If the trend continues (not saying it will, but if it does)-- then which candidates seem deserving..?

Maybe Tab Hunter. Lizabeth Scott. Patsy Kelly (a real trailblazer, an out lesbian in production code Hollywood). Edward Everett Horton. Who would you select?

To me from that listing only Lizabeth Scott has enough leading parts in high quality films for SOTM.     Horton was a supporting player in many high qualify films but is that 'enough' for SOTM?

#30 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,651 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users