We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Robert Osborne's passing

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

The Washington Post, LA Times, and other papers mentioned RO's partner as well, in the obits, as they should. It's customary to mention the next of kin in obits and in tributes. And RO's partner is clearly specified in his Wikipedia entry.

What concerns me -- I didn't want to mention it in the other thread, because someone said "let's get back to the tributes" and someone else wrote "it's disrespectful to mention it" (I think RO would be horrified at that last remark)-- is that there seem to be those here who are uncomfortable with the fact that TCM's very own icon was gay.

Like it somehow sullies the discussion of his life and career. There are still plenty of people who are "OK" with others being gay as long as they themselves don't have to go on record and be part of the discussion.

• Swithin and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#22 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

The Washington Post, LA Times, and other papers mentioned RO's partner as well, in the obits, as they should. It's customary to mention the next of kin in obits and in tributes. And RO's partner is clearly specified in his Wikipedia entry.

What concerns me -- I didn't want to mention it in the other thread, because someone said "let's get back to the tributes" and someone else wrote "it's disrespectful to mention it" (I think RO would be horrified at that last remark)-- is that there seem to be those here who are uncomfortable with the fact that TCM's very own icon was gay.

Yes, I completely agree. And I think it's disrespectful to David (Robert's partner) to act like he doesn't exist and cannot be mentioned as we all mourn the loss of a great man who meant as much, if not more, to him.

• Swithin, DougieB, Jlewis and 1 other like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#23 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,279 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:19 AM

• DougieB, Jlewis, TopBilled and 2 others like this

#24 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

I was glad to see this thread here, since there is a bit of a stir at the moment on the General Discussions thread about Robert's partner having been introduced into the discussion, with some insinuations that it was inappropriate and classless to do so. I simply can't imagine that Robert Osborne would object to us sharing our sympathies with the person he himself loved most and to see others objecting on his "behalf" bothers me more than I can say.

• Jlewis, TopBilled and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#25 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:38 AM

Now he is officially OUT if The Advocate says so. :)

• rayban likes this

#26 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:31 AM

Robert Osborne will be greatly missed.

His knowledge was astonishing.

He was also extremely personable.

RIP, Mr. Osborne.

I agree, Ray. People will miss him on TCM for a long time to come.

I just found an article published by the Advocate magazine that discusses Robert's life and mentions David Staller:

http://www.advocate....ame-sex-partner

• Jlewis and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#27 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

Robert Osborne will be greatly missed.

His knowledge was astonishing.

He was also extremely personable.

RIP, Mr. Osborne.

• Jlewis and TopBilled like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#28 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

Wikipedia lists as "partner" David Staller. I didn't have the patience to check through all of the revision edits to see when that was added, but I have a very STRONG feeling it was not listed before yesterday. Robert is of the older more closeted generation who kept their private lives private. Most who are "out" these days either were part of the liberation if they are his age or much younger, benefiting from all of the social progress. (Not that the progress is complete since the GOP is in power and can easily remove many constitutional rights if they so desire.)

I didn't click on the edits section. I was also wondering when the LGBT writer tag was added, and figured it was yesterday after Robert's death was announced. For all we know, a relative or close friend may have added it.

I agree that for some there may be generational attitudes involved in staying closeted. But if a partner is significantly older or significantly younger, then a couple may not be defined by one specific generational viewpoint. 

As most know, Robert's health issues were kept very private. Though usually a cause of death becomes public knowledge. And now, it would seem, so does one's romantic life.

• Jlewis and rayban like this

#29 Jlewis

Jlewis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:15 AM

Wikipedia lists as "partner" David Staller. I didn't have the patience to check through all of the revision edits to see when that was added, but I have a very STRONG feeling it was not listed before yesterday. Robert was of the older more closeted generation who kept their private lives private. Most who are "out" these days either were part of the liberation if they are his age, married heterosexually and only lived their own lives after they became comfortable or are much younger, benefiting from all of the social progress. (Not that the progress is complete since the GOP is in power and can easily remove many constitutional rights if they so desire.)

• rayban likes this

#30 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:33 PM

I looked earlier on wiki to see if his cause of death was listed (currently it is not).

But I thought it was interesting to see him listed as an LGBT writer:

screen-shot-2017-03-06-at-9-26-20-pm-1.p

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users