We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM Tribute to Robert Osborne DVD?

Robert Osborne Tribute DVD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1939

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:11 PM

I second that last sentiment. I get the film festivals. There's nothing like the communal experience and the big screen. I can't afford the  TCM festival since I live on the east coast, but I try to make Capitolfest every year, and it is a blast if you hanker the older films that are off the beaten path. There are six private screenings on DVD - Robert Osborne, Liza Minelli, Mickey Rooney, Mitchum & Russell, Jane Powell, and Esther Williams. Unfortunately Robert's and Liza's are on the out of print "Conversations" DVD. If you want to know which DVDs the others are on type "private screenings" into the TITLE SEARCH of filmaf.com and the titles of the private screenings and the DVDs that they are on as extra features should pop up.

Thanks for the link to filmaf.com.  I was unfamiliar with the site. 

I would love to attend the TCM Film Festival, but like you, I can't afford it.  Living in the backwoods as I do, there isn't anything of the kind available to me.

#2 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

I, too, hope TCM reissues "Conversations with Robert Osborne" as well as putting "Private Screenings" and other interviews he's done on DVD.  I'm kicking myself for not buying "Conversations" when it was first released.  So many DVDs, so little money. sigh

I would also love for "The Essentials", with or without the accompanying films, to be offered on DVD, too.  If this isn't possible, I hope TCM reairs "The Essentials" on Saturday nights.  I was late to the party and was only able to see the last few years.

Streaming would be better than nothing if DVD releases of all of the above are out of the question, although, not with their current app because my cable provider does not participate. 

I wish TCM would concentrate on films and Mr. Osborne's legacy rather than auctions and wine.

I second that last sentiment. I get the film festivals. There's nothing like the communal experience and the big screen. I can't afford the  TCM festival since I live on the east coast, but I try to make Capitolfest every year, and it is a blast if you hanker the older films that are off the beaten path. There are six private screenings on DVD - Robert Osborne, Liza Minelli, Mickey Rooney, Mitchum & Russell, Jane Powell, and Esther Williams. Unfortunately Robert's and Liza's are on the out of print "Conversations" DVD. If you want to know which DVDs the others are on type "private screenings" into the TITLE SEARCH of filmaf.com and the titles of the private screenings and the DVDs that they are on as extra features should pop up.

#3 1939

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

I, too, hope TCM reissues "Conversations with Robert Osborne" as well as putting "Private Screenings" and other interviews he's done on DVD.  I'm kicking myself for not buying "Conversations" when it was first released.  So many DVDs, so little money. sigh

I would also love for "The Essentials", with or without the accompanying films, to be offered on DVD, too.  If this isn't possible, I hope TCM reairs "The Essentials" on Saturday nights.  I was late to the party and was only able to see the last few years.

Streaming would be better than nothing if DVD releases of all of the above are out of the question, although, not with their current app because my cable provider does not participate. 

I wish TCM would concentrate on films and Mr. Osborne's legacy rather than auctions and wine.

#4 calvinnme

calvinnme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,487 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

TCM put out a "Conversations with Robert Osborne" DVD in 2015. It's price today, for a new copy from a scalper....ahem...third party seller? 164 dollars and change! The DVD originally sold for about 20 bucks Pretty soon these ghouls - that is what they are - will be asking thousands for a RO bobble head.

The original conversations disc only had the Robert Osborne tribute at the film festival, Robert's own private screening, Liza Minelli's private screening, and three of the film festival interviews that aired during the tribute.

TCM should put out a DVD set of just the private screenings and maybe the first intro he ever did on TCM for Gone With the Wind.

#5 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,277 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Will the 48-hour TCM Tribute to Robert Osborne being aired on TCM March 18-19 be released on DVD for purchase? Definitely would want to purchase as soon as it becomes available! Can someone from TCM respond? Thank you!

Making available the actual films shown during the Tribute would be illegal since TCM doesn't own the rights to sell such content.

I can see TCM selling just the RO interviews.   That would make for a nice DVD.

#6 EhlersJ

EhlersJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:06 PM

Will the 48-hour TCM Tribute to Robert Osborne being aired on TCM March 18-19 be released on DVD for purchase? Definitely would want to purchase as soon as it becomes available! Can someone from TCM respond? Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users