We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TCM spotlight on 'gay hollywood'-- June 2017

• Please log in to reply
242 replies to this topic

#41 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:06 PM

Tonight, in their post "Virginia Woof" discussion, Dave Karger and William J. Mann seemed to have "outed' James Dean.

And, in the opening comments for "The Loved One", they seemed to have "outed" Evelyn Waugh.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#42 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

I'll reserve final judgment until after tonight's shows (although I don't think I will sit through VIRGINIA WOOLF for the umpteenth time but I'll listen to the hosts' open).  I do hope TCM will do the series again and not wait years.  I do so wish they had run THE CELLULOID  CLOSET doc again.  I know it's a few years old but it's a great history lesson and shows gays have always been a part of moviemaking which was one of the points of the whole series in the first place.  Educate and entertain.  And hosts, please pay attention and no more screwups like the Liz Taylor white swimsuit snafu again.

" The Celluloid Closet " is a great documentary

• TopBilled, ChristineHoard and rayban like this

#43 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

I'll reserve final judgment until after tonight's shows (although I don't think I will sit through VIRGINIA WOOLF for the umpteenth time but I'll listen to the hosts' open).  I do hope TCM will do the series again and not wait years.  I do so wish they had run THE CELLULOID  CLOSET doc again.  I know it's a few years old but it's a great history lesson and shows gays have always been a part of moviemaking which was one of the points of the whole series in the first place.  Educate and entertain.  And hosts, please pay attention and no more screwups like the Liz Taylor white swimsuit snafu again.

• TopBilled, film lover 293, jaragon and 1 other like this

#44 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

The final evening of the spotlight occurs tomorrow. Has this month-long retrospective been measuring up to everyone's expectations?

thursday june 29, 2017

who's afraid of virginia woolf? (1966) 

the loved one (1965) 

the year of living dangerously (1982) 

torch song trilogy (1988) 

valentino (1977) 

I hope TCM continues to this series every June- some people need constant reminders that gay people were always part of film history- that said I would like to see more modern films next time and how about a gay foreign film night- Almodovar, Visconti and Demy ;)

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#45 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:27 PM

So far, the overall coverage has been very interesting, but sometimes the commentary has been less than satisfying - like Dave Karger and William J. Mann suggesting that Farley Granger didn't have much of a film career.

Seems as if some of the commentary is a bit ignorant or uninformed. Granger definitely had a substantial film and television career. It's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

• jaragon and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#46 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:40 PM

The final evening of the spotlight occurs tomorrow. Has this month-long retrospective been measuring up to everyone's expectations?

thursday june 29, 2017

the loved one (1965) 

valentino (1977) 

So far, the overall coverage has been very interesting, but sometimes the commentary has been less than satisfying - like Dave Karger and William J. Mann suggesting that Farley Granger didn't have much of a film career.

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#47 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

In "Suddenly Last Summer", Violet Venable says that her son, Sebastian, is chaste.

But, suddenly, last summer, something happened - Sebastian takes his cousin, Catherine, on his holiday jaunt instead of his mother, who wasn't feeling well.

Have his gay impulses taken over?

Has he suddenly decided to go after - boys?

And use his cousin as - bait?

I wish that Tennessee Williams had explored this sudden, unexpected development in Sebastian's character.

Because, his "punishment" - the horrific death at the hands of the boys - seems to be homophobic.

You deny yourself a sexual life.

Then, you desperately want a sexual life.

Then, you die because of it.

suddenlydeath.png?token=reoD7KwjYzU6%2BB

Perhaps it's reall Liz's fault well at least her bathing suit- I imagine that Sebastian's mother attracted a more refined type of playmate for her son.  Liz on the other hand obviously attracted a rougher type of trade- poor Sebastian he should have lived in the age of grinder ;)

• rayban likes this

#48 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

thursday june 29, 2017

the loved one (1965) 

valentino (1977) 

• jaragon and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#49 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

In "Suddenly Last Summer", Violet Venable says that her son, Sebastian, is chaste.

But, suddenly, last summer, something happened - Sebastian takes his cousin, Catherine, on his holiday jaunt instead of his mother, who wasn't feeling well.

I wish that Tennessee Williams had explored this sudden, unexpected development in Sebastian's character.

Because, his "punishment" - the horrific death at the hands of the boys - seems to be homophobic.

Mrs Venable is protecting he son's reputation-of course she is going to say he is chaster- perhaps he kept his sex life hidden from her- or she simply refused to admit the thruth about Sebastian. His death seems to be some kind of retribution for his sins- Sebastian exploited poor children- the niece says they were like starving birds- can the death be interpreted as a homophobic act- perhaps- Williams had a taste for the grotesque - I wish someone had hired to adapt Edgar Allan Poe- it really is a scene from a horror film- they devoured him!

• rayban likes this

#50 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:28 AM

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#51 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

Yeah, we talked about this on another thread.  Our co-hosts were so adamant about no Liz in a swimsuit in the entire movie but only on the ads to sell tickets.  And Liz in the white swimsuit is an important part of the story!  I like these guys but they need to do their homework a little better.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#52 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:07 PM

In talking about "Suddenly Last Summer", William J. Mann said that the film was advertised with a picture of Elizabeth Taylor in a white bathing suit - 

and that, in the film, she does not appear in a white bathing suit -

and, yet, one of the film's most memorable sequences is Elizabeth Taylor in a white see-through bathing suit -

Cousin Sebastian forces her into the water in the suit in order to attract the young males on the public beach -

What's up, Mr. Mann?i

Sounds like he didn't watch the film all the way through.

• rayban likes this

#53 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

In talking about "Suddenly Last Summer", William J. Mann said that the film was advertised with a picture of Elizabeth Taylor in a white bathing suit - 

and that, in the film, she does not appear in a white bathing suit -

and, yet, one of the film's most memorable sequences is Elizabeth Taylor in a white see-through bathing suit -

Cousin Sebastian forces her into the water in the suit in order to attract the young males on the public beach -

What's up, Mr. Mann?i

• TopBilled likes this

#54 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Jarrod, it does sound like the most reasonable answer.

But, I think, the teenager's interest in his older brother puts some weight into the scale, too.

And that plot came from Inge, so it's all connected. LOL

• rayban likes this

#55 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

My guess is it was included because of Inge.

Jarrod, it does sound like the most reasonable answer.

But, I think, the teenager's interest in his older brother puts some weight into the scale, too.

• TopBilled likes this

#56 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

On "Gay Thursday", during the day, they showed John Frankenheimer's unjustly neglected film, "All Fall Down".

I'm intrigued - what are this film's gay credentials?

The book was written by James Leo Herlihy, who wrote "Midnight Cowboy" - was he gay?

The screenplay was written by playwright, William Inge - he was gay.

The finely-wrought material centered on a teenager's obsession with his older brother - is this interest supposed to be "gay-coded" or "gay-tinged".

Brandon de Wilde's performance, as the obsessed teen, was so "real" that it inhabits the film from start to finish.

The beautiful, sad, tormented heroine had many, many echoes of Tennessee Williams' heroines - would this fact be a gay credential?

In the role, Eva Marie Saint gave a striking portrayal.

She also had a tragic end.

My guess is it was included because of Inge.

• rayban likes this

#57 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:26 AM

On "Gay Thursday", during the day, they showed John Frankenheimer's unjustly neglected film, "All Fall Down".

I'm intrigued - what are this film's gay credentials?

The book was written by James Leo Herlihy, who wrote "Midnight Cowboy" - was he gay?

The screenplay was written by playwright, William Inge - he was gay.

The finely-wrought material centered on a teenager's obsession with his older brother - is this interest supposed to be "gay-coded" or "gay-tinged".

Brandon de Wilde's performance, as the obsessed teen, was so "real" that it inhabits the film from start to finish.

The beautiful, sad, tormented heroine had many, many echoes of Tennessee Williams' heroines - would this fact be a gay credential?

In the role, Eva Marie Saint gave a striking portrayal.

She also had a tragic end.

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

#58 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,947 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

I really and truly do not understand the inclusion of "Billy Liar" in the "Gay Hollywood" film series.

"Billy Liar" is a "working-class" comedy that is so sad and so pathetic that not even the youth, beauty and charm of Tom Courteney can save it.

Why not include a film of John Schlesinger's that had gay content, like "Darling" or "Midnight Cowboy" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday"?

Completely agree. I would've selected MIDNIGHT COWBOY.

• rayban likes this

#59 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Jeffrey Broadhurst played Tulsa in the 1993 tv version of "Gypsy" https://youtu.be/7TUPSNAe100

The costume designer could not give him tighter pants ;)

• rayban likes this

#60 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:02 PM

Tomorrow evening BILLY LIAR is airing as part of TCM's Spotlight on gay Hollywood. It's a British film by a British director with a British cast. So how does this qualify as a 'Hollywood' film or actually fit a spotlight that is advertised as being about Hollywood films?

I really and truly do not understand the inclusion of "Billy Liar" in the "Gay Hollywood" film series.

"Billy Liar" is a "working-class" comedy that is so sad and so pathetic that not even the youth, beauty and charm of Tom Courteney can save it.

Why not include a film of John Schlesinger's that had gay content, like "Darling" or "Midnight Cowboy" or "Sunday Bloody Sunday"?

• Jlewis, TopBilled and ChristineHoard like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users