We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

TrumpCare

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#241 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,493 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

As I said, the very wealthy and the corporations can pay more in taxes, a lot more.  However, I do not see them providing near enough to fund the Sanders Plans.  One example of where corporations can do more is to collect sales taxes on online and mailorder purchases.  Currently these are pretty much exempt by US law.

While the purchaser would ultimately pay the taxes, it would level the playing field for the many retail businesses that are facing bankruptcy or closure.

I buy from Amazon all the time, and over the past 6 months they've been implementing sales tax charges, which fluctuate depending on the state where the item is sold or shipped from. I now pay sales taxes on approx. 75% of all purchases on Amazon.

#242 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:17 AM

No.  But I have lived in my country for a couple of generations, maybe more depending on how you determine a generation.

The other countries do not provide the same services that the US does nor are they "organized" the way the US is.  I doubt any other country has a governmental system that reflects the US system of federal, state, county, city, school, special service, etc. taxing authorities.

In addition, those other countries have very high tax rates compared to the US in order to provide those services.

One example for Sanders is "free" college for everyone.

As I said, the very wealthy and the corporations can pay more in taxes, a lot more.  However, I do not see them providing near enough to fund the Sanders Plans.  One example of where corporations can do more is to collect sales taxes on online and mailorder purchases.  Currently these are pretty much exempt by US law.

While the purchaser would ultimately pay the taxes, it would level the playing field for the many retail businesses that are facing bankruptcy or closure.

This is the same argument for the National Sales Tax, everyone will pay the same regardless of what state one live in and covers all purchases.  It shouldn't be  be a replacement for the income tax but a sales tax that is fair.

• TheCid likes this

#243 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:05 AM

Other countries do just what Sanders was proposing and still have very conservative governments that do not "soak" the rich.  Are you falling victim to the brainwashing that has been going on in your country for several generations?

No.  But I have lived in my country for a couple of generations, maybe more depending on how you determine a generation.

The other countries do not provide the same services that the US does nor are they "organized" the way the US is.  I doubt any other country has a governmental system that reflects the US system of federal, state, county, city, school, special service, etc. taxing authorities.

In addition, those other countries have very high tax rates compared to the US in order to provide those services.

One example for Sanders is "free" college for everyone.

#244 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Absolutely not equitable.  However, when you look at everything Sanders promised to have the government provide during his campaign, you have to "soak the rich" as the saying used to go.

Saw a political cartoon:  Typical Trump voter standing in front of his dilapidated house with old pick-up on blocks.  Wearing tee shirt: "I voted for Trump and All I Got was this Lousy Hat."

Other countries do just what Sanders was proposing and still have very conservative governments that do not "soak" the rich.  Are you falling victim to the brainwashing that has been going on in your country for several generations?

#245 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

Republican Michigan governor RICK SNYDER is appealing to house republicans to forego passing the bill because it would greatly and detrimentally affect some health initiatives he initiated here. 

http://www.crainsdet...th-bills-impact

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#246 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

He's doing his best to try to convince people that Obamacare is collapsing anyway and would not even be there next year.  Perhaps that may figure into his excuses?  People may start to wake up when they are on their death beds.  In the meantime don't bother the billionaires.

BTW I don't think Sanders wants to "soak" anyone.  He just doesn't think the tax system is equitable at the moment.  And is it?

Absolutely not equitable.  However, when you look at everything Sanders promised to have the government provide during his campaign, you have to "soak the rich" as the saying used to go.

Saw a political cartoon:  Typical Trump voter standing in front of his dilapidated house with old pick-up on blocks.  Wearing tee shirt: "I voted for Trump and All I Got was this Lousy Hat."

#247 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:18 AM

If I remember correctly, during the campaign Trump often said repealing and replacing ACA was going to happen on Day One.

We are into Days 60+ and the House has not even passed a bill yet, much less the Senate.

What will Trump do when it gets to his desk and he has to explain how he lied to the millions and millions of people who WILL lose their health coverage despite what he promised?  How will he explain that the costs of health care for millions and millions of others will go up?

Both the House and Senate passed ACA and then Pres. Obama signed it.  It was not an executive order.

Of course, the Republicans are being devious and using a reconciliation bill rather than a real bill to repeal the ACA.

He's doing his best to try to convince people that Obamacare is collapsing anyway and would not even be there next year.  Perhaps that may figure into his excuses?  People may start to wake up when they are on their death beds.  In the meantime don't bother the billionaires.

BTW I don't think Sanders wants to "soak" anyone.  He just doesn't think the tax system is equitable at the moment.  And is it?

#248 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 23 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

Thinking about the worst case scenario, will Trump lose patience and use an Executive order to repeal ACA to force the one's on Capital Hill to come up with a plan.  If one president can make ACA happen with the power of the pen.....

Hopefully he will keep his word not the pull the rug out from everyone's feet that needs it.  

If I remember correctly, during the campaign Trump often said repealing and replacing ACA was going to happen on Day One.

We are into Days 60+ and the House has not even passed a bill yet, much less the Senate.

What will Trump do when it gets to his desk and he has to explain how he lied to the millions and millions of people who WILL lose their health coverage despite what he promised?  How will he explain that the costs of health care for millions and millions of others will go up?

Both the House and Senate passed ACA and then Pres. Obama signed it.  It was not an executive order.

Of course, the Republicans are being devious and using a reconciliation bill rather than a real bill to repeal the ACA.

#249 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,821 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:25 PM

The ACA didn't happen with just the stroke of a pen, it was a

bill passed by Congress.

• TheCid likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#250 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,568 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Thinking about the worst case scenario, will Trump lose patience and use an Executive order to repeal ACA to force the one's on Capital Hill to come up with a plan.  If one president can make ACA happen with the power of the pen.....

Hopefully he will keep his word not the pull the rug out from everyone's feet that needs it.  

#251 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

It's on life support.  25 of the 60 members of the Freedom Caucus will vote against it.

Not to mention the opposition in the Senate.

#252 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

The hard right Republicans are already beginning to fold and accept Trump/RyanCare.

The latest version has multiple amendments to favor specific states or groups contrary to what Trump/RyanCare was supposed to be.

#253 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:06 AM

This woman is a teacher!  No doubt teaching the next generation of Trump supporters...

#254 HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

#255 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,190 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

Is Ryan anticipating that Trump will try to lay the disaaaaaaaaster in his lap?

#256 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:20 AM

Paul Ryan caves to rank and file on Trump/RyanCare.

www.washingtonpost.com/powerpost/speaker-paul-ryan-doubles-down-on-gop-health-care-plan-amid-opposition/2017/03/15/872c4f3c-0974-11e7-93dc-00f9bdd74ed1_story.html?utm_term=.c0eb4d8f0574&wpisrc=al_alert-COMBO-politics%252Bnation&wpmk=1

#257 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

Prior to appointment to the OMB, Mulvaney was a Republican representative from S.C.  Super conservative and wants to drastically cut all federal expenditures.

As the Washington Post article shows, he completly fails to understand, Medicaid, ACA or Turmp/RyanCare.  And apparently he made no effort to discover that he was "misleading" people.

https://www.washingt...politics&wpmm=1

#258 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,347 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:38 PM

Working and Middle class people think that Medicaid is only for the poor until they need long-term care and they have not purchased long-term healthcare insurance.

The only way a person who is not rich can get long-term care is to go into a nursing facility as a Medicaid patient and forfeit all their personal property.

Long-term care costs thousands of dollars per week and when this person, who has worked all their lives to amass something to leave to their children, is forced into that situation, then their children inherit nothing.

This Koch-type strategy prevents middle class inheritance and growth.

There are lots of different Medicaid programs.  Some are based on meeting an economic criteria (the "poor").   Others are based on paying a minimal fee to receive Medicaid services, such as in-home nursing care.

If you go into a nursing home under Medicaid, you would not be able to own a home unless you stated you planned to return to it after you recover.  You also can have some savings.

If your spouse remains in the home, you don't have to sell it.  Although when the spouse dies, the state (not the federal government) may ask for payment for services rendered.

Every state establishes its own policies and procedures based on general federal guidelines.

Need to remember that the purpose of Medicaid is to provide medical care for those who cannot afford it.  Not to protect the assets of the middle class or working class so children may inherit it.  This concept of middle class and working class parents leaving something to their children is relatively recent.

If the person "has worked all their lives to amass something to leave to their children," they should have given it to them well before they asked the taxpayers to support them in a nursing home.

Don't want to sound like a Trumpist or Ryanist or Republican, but we have to be reasonable about what the government (taxpayers) can and cannot provide.

#259 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,798 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

There is a Medicaid based program called "Senior Alliance" that provides much needed comprehensive and attentive home care for invalid senior citizens. And Trump's intent on "scaling back" Medicaid funding now has those I know who use the program worried( I've been trying to get my wife on it) as it's vital to their overall conditions.

Otherwise, all that home care would have to be out-of-pocket, and that's too costly for seniors on a fixed income.

Sepiatone

Working and Middle class people think that Medicaid is only for the poor until they need long-term care and they have not purchased long-term healthcare insurance.

The only way a person who is not rich can get long-term care is to go into a nursing facility as a Medicaid patient and forfeit all their personal property.

Long-term care costs thousands of dollars per week and when this person, who has worked all their lives to amass something to leave to their children, is forced into that situation, then their children inherit nothing.

This Koch-type strategy prevents middle class inheritance and growth.

#260 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:59 AM

There is a Medicaid based program called "Senior Alliance" that provides much needed comprehensive and attentive home care for invalid senior citizens.  And Trump's  intent on "scaling back" Medicaid funding now has those I know who use the program worried( I've been trying to get my wife on it) as it's vital to their overall conditions.

Otherwise, all that home care would have to be out-of-pocket, and that's too costly for seniors on a fixed income.

Sepiatone

• Princess of Tap likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users