We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

the disturbing IDEAL world of "Leave it to Beaver" (classic tv!)

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

It'll get better once the weather is good enough for me to sit on my porch and yell at kids to get off my lawn.  :P

Sepiatone

My mother made a career out of doing that, except she would peek through the blinds while lurking inside the house, and then came storming out to confront the unsuspecting kids.

#2 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

Yeah, I knew about Lewis Stone.  But I thought he was chasing teen VANDALS at the time.  But anyway....

I really don't CARE if kids get on my lawn.  And as for a big dog?

Well, not TOO big of a dog, or the heart attack might come from scooping up those huge DROPPINGS!  ;)

As for my complaining JAMES......notice down there that the Mod even censored the Spanish  words!  Guess HE must be "undocumented"?  Or maybe just DE-mented........

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#3 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:41 PM

It'll get better once the weather is good enough for me to sit on my porch and yell at kids to get off my lawn. :P

Sepiatone

Sep--

This may not be the time and place for it. But I have to remind you that Andy Hardy's Father, Judge Hardy AKA Lewis Stone had a heart attack and died right there near his lawn doing the very thing that you just spoke of.

Keeping that in mind, it might be just as well to buy a "keep off the grass sign" or a very big dog.

#4 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:33 PM

I'm long past tired of your complaints.    :lol:

It'll get better once the weather is good enough for me to sit on my porch and yell at kids to get off my lawn.  :P

Sepiatone

#5 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

I'm LONG past tired of the moderator's self-righteous presumptions and Napoleonic precepts.

I'm beginning to suspect the individual wears a BLINDFOLD when THEY take a shower!  :o

Sepiatone

I'm long past tired of your complaints.    :lol:

• Sepiatone likes this

#6 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:53 AM

When I initially watched Leave It to Beaver, I was close to the same age as the Beav. What I liked about the show then was how similar his teacher, school and classroom setting were to mine.

A few years later, when Beaver was going into adolescence, this again was similar to the kind of stuff that we had to go through--dressing up, learning all those manners, dance school and politeness with adults.

I never had to go to dance school, rarely dressed up, was allowed to eat like Henry VIII, and was taught not to trust anyone over 30.

#7 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

Having been born in the 1930's and lived in the 1940's and 1950's, the world of the Cleavers was not so strange to many since it represented a country returning from a war and trying to have a great and sound family life. I knew lots of families with parents and a house like theirs. I realize it seems an idealized world to some, but some ideals are based on fact. June Cleaver reminds me of a lot of women who lived in my neighborhood and were married and there were guys like Ward but also guys like Fred Rutherford to even the score.

When I initially watched Leave It to Beaver, I was close to the same age as the Beav. What I liked about the show then was how similar his teacher, school and classroom setting were to mine.

A few years later, when Beaver was going into adolescence, this again was similar to the kind of stuff that we had to go through--dressing up, learning all those manners, dance school and politeness with adults.

#8 RipMurdock

RipMurdock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

Having been born in the 1930's and lived in the 1940's and 1950's, the world of the Cleavers was not so strange to many since it represented a country returning from a war and trying to have a great and sound family life. I knew lots of families with parents and a house like theirs. I realize it seems an idealized world to some, but some ideals are based on fact. June Cleaver reminds me of a lot of women who lived in my neighborhood and were married and there were guys like Ward but also guys like Fred Rutherford to even the score. 

• Princess of Tap likes this

#9 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:37 AM

I'm LONG past tired of the moderator's self-righteous presumptions and Napoleonic precepts.

I'm beginning to suspect the individual wears a BLINDFOLD when THEY take a shower!  :o

Sepiatone

What prompted this outburst?

#10 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:01 AM

Sepiatone

#11 speedracer5

speedracer5

Errol Flynn's girlfriend in a parallel universe,back in time

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts
  • LocationForest Grove, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:23 PM

That would be Chewy.

Beaver also had a friend named Tooey.

"It's not an old movie if you haven't seen it." -Lauren Bacall

Proud member of:

dxmdyx.png

My classic movie and television blog:

Whimsically Classic

https://whimsicallyc....wordpress.com/

#12 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

The mouse was named Donen.

Are you sure it wasn't Livingston?

#13 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,299 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:20 PM

Eddie thought it was.

It was one of his better tricks, but that couldn't save the episode.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#14 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:48 PM

Both were named Stanley? How lazy.

The mouse was named Donen.

#15 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,793 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

Speak English for crysake.

The website builtin editor only knows English.

#16 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

OK...

HELLO, **** ****:)

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1, 16 March 2017 - 05:24 PM.
Edited For Language

#17 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

In this morning's episode, the Beav had both a mouse and a monkey named Stanley.

Both were named Stanley? How lazy.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#18 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:18 AM

"Hola**** ****." 

Edited by TCMModerator1, 16 March 2017 - 05:23 PM.
Edited Quote For Language

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#19 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:09 AM

No and yes. Everybody had pet goldfish. We bought them for pennies at Woolworth's.

I say we never had one because by the end of the week you flushed at least one down the toilet and went back and got another two.

Everyone also had something called Guppies. They procreated so fast that one kid bought a few and had to give the rest away.

As I can recall we also had a history of some parakeets, some baby chicks at Easter and a short-lived bunny rabbit.

But for the most part, we and just about everybody else, had at least one or two dogs that were real family members for the long- term.

In this morning's episode, the Beav had both a mouse and a monkey named Stanley.

#20 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:00 AM

That would be Chewy.

:lol:

"Chewy"? :rolleyes:

You Anglos crack me UP!

That would be CHUY, a diminutive of JESUS and a variant of CHUCHO .

Or...JOSHUA to all you WASPS. B)

I haven't been married 29 years to a Mexican gal without learning a LITTLE something!  ;)

At least enough to when an old friend of mine introduced me to some slugwitted friend of his, who when learning my wife was Mexican, and told me he wanted to "tap" some Tex-Mex girl he met and wanted to get in good with her Dad, he asked me what was a good greeting in "Mex lingo" to say to him, I thought I'd teach him a lesson and schooled him in saying, "Hola, **** ****."   :P

Sepiatone

Edited by TCMModerator1, 16 March 2017 - 05:21 PM.
Edited For Language

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users