We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

the disturbing IDEAL world of "Leave it to Beaver" (classic tv!)

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#21 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:49 AM

I can't say it's one of the funniest episodes of the show.

Eddie thought it was.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#22 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

If I remember this correctly, she used Beaver just to get close to Wally. If That wasn't the episode with Lori then it happened with another girl --but Beav did learn his lesson.

The other funny dating situation I remember is that Wally was supposed to take out an ordinary looking girl, but he later have an opportunity to take out the top girl in the class.

So he wanted to dump the ordinary girl, but after Ward talked with him, he had to do the right thing. LOL

The episode with Lori Martin, of Cape Fear fame, showed her trying to paly Beaver and one of his friends against each other.  Not against Wally.  The age difference between Wally and Beaver was too big for them to compete for same "women."

#23 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:03 PM

That would be Chewy.

I thought it was Chewy, but I didn't want to insult him any

further, as I assume that was not his actual name. I can't

say it's one of the funniest episodes of the show.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#24 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

The "Chewy" episode was a non-starter.

Non starter, huh? Is that why Eddie told Beav to tell Chewy he had an el porco face?

As I remember it, Wally had to wait till Monday to slug Eddie for that one.

#25 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

That would be Chewy.

The "Chewy" episode was a non-starter.

#26 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:50 PM

If I remember this correctly, she used Beaver just to get close to Wally. If That wasn't the episode with Lori then it happened with another girl --but Beav did learn his lesson.

The other funny dating situation I remember is that Wally was supposed to take out an ordinary looking girl, but he later have an opportunity to take out the top girl in the class.

So he wanted to dump the ordinary girl, but after Ward talked with him, he had to do the right thing. LOL

That was Mary Ellen Rogers, who may have been played by the same actress I saw today as Myra.

#27 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

So he wanted to dump the ordinary girl, but after Ward talked with him, he had to do the right thing.

Why, that pug-nosed bastard!

#28 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

I remember the episode where Beaver's Hispanic friend came over. 

That would be Chewy.

#29 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

No wonder there was a disappointing outcome. She probably chewed up the Beav and spit him out.

#30 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,267 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

I remember the episode where Beaver's Hispanic friend came

over. Mean old Eddie told Beav to say his friend looked like a

porco/pig, and of course the friend was insulted. Eventually

things were straightened out.

Maybe Beaver should have taken an egg and smashed it

into Lori's upper chest area and rubbed it on her skin.

I never had a goldfish, but I did have one of those small green

turtles with the plastic bowl complete with plastic palm tree. Looking

back, that was pretty much animal cruelty. 

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#31 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:41 PM

No wonder there was a disappointing outcome. She probably chewed up the Beav and spit him out.

Yeah, she broke his heart.

At the end of the episode he saw her sitting on her porch swing with Whitey (it had been Beav only the day before) - I guess getting ready to break Whitey's heart next.

#32 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:23 PM

The only one I distinctly remember noticing was Lori Martin in one episode where the Beav started seeing her, with a disappointing outcome.

She was hot - kind of a junior Liz Taylor.

#33 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,647 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

When I was a dumb little kid watching the originals, I probably wouldn't have noticed either.

The only one I distinctly remember noticing was Lori Martin in one episode where the Beav started seeing her, with a disappointing outcome.

She was hot - kind of a junior Liz Taylor.

#34 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:49 PM

It was a differnt era.  Doubt anyone paid that much attention back then as it would have been months, if not years, between the episodes.  Also, screen time would have actually been fairly brief.

Now we can see two episodes every day so much easier to pick up on these things.

Wish I could remember the blonde's name as she was in several of them with different names.

When I was a dumb little kid watching the originals, I probably wouldn't have noticed either.

#35 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks for the PET details!

I am so glad the Cleavers had pets :-)

BUT---many many recent "families" (with those creepy empty new spotless home-sets) have no pet of any kind.

some examples:

"The Sopranos"

"The Americans"

"Ray Donovan"

This MIGHT be simply to distance the audiences from these sick evil characters and their lives, but it's pretty strange.

"The Sopranos" so clean, there is no forensic evidence.  :ph34r:

#36 papyrusbeetle

papyrusbeetle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:59 AM

Thanks for the PET details!

I am so glad the Cleavers had pets :-)

BUT---many many recent "families" (with those creepy empty new spotless home-sets) have no pet of any kind.

some examples:

"The Sopranos"

"The Americans"

"Ray Donovan"

This MIGHT be simply to distance the audiences from these sick evil characters and their lives, but it's pretty strange.

"I don't want to die."

"Neither do I, baby, but if I have to, I'm going to die last." -OUT OF THE PAST

#37 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,738 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:44 AM

No and yes. Everybody had pet goldfish. We bought them for pennies at Woolworth's.

I say we never had one because by the end of the week you flushed at least one down the toilet and went back and got another two.

Everyone also had something called Guppies. They procreated so fast that one kid bought a few and had to give the rest away.

As I can recall we also had a history of some parakeets, some baby chicks at Easter and a short-lived bunny rabbit.

But for the most part, we and just about everybody else, had at least one or two dogs that were real family members for the long- term.

Use to have an aquarium back during the late 1960's - '70's.  

affordable-small-design-of-the-fresh-wat

#38 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,892 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Have you ever actually pet a goldfish?

No and yes. Everybody had pet goldfish. We bought them for pennies at Woolworth's.

I say we never had one because by the end of the week you flushed at least one down the toilet and went back and got another two.

Everyone also had something called Guppies. They procreated so fast that one kid bought a few and had to give the rest away.

As I can recall we also had a history of some parakeets, some baby chicks at Easter and a short-lived bunny rabbit.

But for the most part, we and just about everybody else, had at least one or two dogs that were real family members for the long- term.

#39 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Don't remember the name, but I looked up one of the actresses that was in several Perry Masons and other shows as well.  

She "retired" and got an office job at a major company because she could not support herself and children on what she made playing bit parts on TV or in movies.

#40 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,925 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:49 AM

Another thmg. I saw an episode this morning in which Wally took out a girl named Myra. I swear that she's the same actress who played Mary Ellen Rogers.

I didn't see it this morning, but each episode usually has it's own title, and if you google that title you can find out casting info.

I've also noticed some of the girls and guys who appear peripherally in LITB also show up hanging around the "malt shop" on DONNA REED  and other shows from that era.

Casting directors usually looked for a type, and often several individuals would resemble others on those shows.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users