We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

the disturbing IDEAL world of "Leave it to Beaver" (classic tv!)

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

What's disturbing??

That a stay-at-home mom in the 50's kept a tidy house?

Come to think of it, what would be more disturbing is a stay at home Mom who didn't  keep a tidy house.  Regardless of the decade.

Sepiatone

• TheCid likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#82 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,955 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

I had a friend who used to keep her apartment so spotless it almost looked un-lived in. It was weird, not a crease in the furniture, the magazines neatly stacked on top of one another, so perfect in appearance that they looked as though they hadn't been read. I was almost afraid to sit in one of her chairs for fear that it wouldn't still look perfect when I stood up.

It was very unexpected for me since my friend was a very down-to-earth type, always joking around and poking fun at herself. In fact she did "joke" once about being on her hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor. I didn't realize until I went to her place and saw that kitchen floor that she must have been telling me the truth.

• Sepiatone likes this

#83 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,317 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 12 March 2017 - 09:42 AM

It's tough to be critical of a show which gave us classic lines such as "Nice play, Shakespeare," and "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"

• Sepiatone likes this

I'm a big boy.

#84 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Seems to me that the OP is overthinking things a bit.

It was just a TV show.

Does his focus on "Beaver" indicate he was OK with OTHER TV fare?

Like, did he think THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES were an accurate representation of late 20th century "low income" Southerners? 

Or that THE REAL McCOYS were what ALL West Virginia farmers that moved to California were like?

Incidentally, I too had an Aunt much like the ones HAM had.

And we had a washing machine like the one in that ad in our basement when I ws a kid.

The only thing I found "disturbing" about "Leave It to Beaver" was how WELL the "Beav" and his older brother got along compared to how me and MY older brother did at that point in our lives.  ;)

Sepiatone

• hamradio, TheCid and Princess of Tap like this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#85 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,227 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:58 PM

What's disturbing??

That a stay-at-home mom in the 50's kept a tidy house?

• Sepiatone likes this

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#86 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:08 PM

Ads that reflected the "Leave it to Beaver" time period.  (I can hear the gnashing of posters teeth)

1950s-usa-household-appliances-magazine-

ccdf517ac34762193595c9159c3d0db4.jpg

#87 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

One of the fun things about broadcast channels is that they are showing super-classic tv-shows all the time. "Lone Ranger", "Perry Mason", "Roy Rogers", "Lassie".

But seeing "Leave it to Beaver" on a new digital tv-screen is kind of a weird experience.

I was never a RABID fan (not like I was about "Bewitched"), so maybe I just never paid attention to this show.

But WOW, is their house exquisite. I mean, every single darned detail of furniture, wall - design, soft-goods, etc. etc. It's like a long, extended "life is perfect in the American home" AD. I mean by today's standards, too.

One off-beat accessory for today is the "Aunt Jemima" cooky jar, but everything else in Beaver's house could thrill shoppers right now.

Is this how we won the "cold war"?

Showing the rest of the world a "perfect" existence in the USA?
No dust, dirt, poverty, messy pets, just a home in HEAVEN?

I had 2 aunts that kept house THAT clean! (heaven forbid as a child, I did anything messy)

• Sepiatone likes this

#88 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,776 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:10 PM

I don't think too many people today would be thrilled by Ward's

small den TV set, or by the compact car that he squeezed his

family of four into. But yes, the (second) house is pretty neat.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#89 papyrusbeetle

papyrusbeetle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

One of the fun things about broadcast channels is that they are showing super-classic tv-shows all the time. "Lone Ranger", "Perry Mason", "Roy Rogers", "Lassie".

But seeing "Leave it to Beaver" on a new digital tv-screen is kind of a weird experience.

I was never a RABID fan (not like I was about "Bewitched"), so maybe I just never paid attention to this show.

But WOW, is their house exquisite. I mean, every single darned detail of furniture, wall - design, soft-goods, etc. etc. It's like a long, extended "life is perfect in the American home" AD. I mean by today's standards, too.

One off-beat accessory for today is the "Aunt Jemima" cooky jar, but everything else in Beaver's house could thrill shoppers right now.

Is this how we won the "cold war"?

Showing the rest of the world a "perfect" existence in the USA?
No dust, dirt, poverty, messy pets, just a home in HEAVEN?

"I don't want to die."

"Neither do I, baby, but if I have to, I'm going to die last." -OUT OF THE PAST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users