We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Unforgiven" voted all-time best western by...

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:20 PM

Too bad 'Dances with Wolves' was such a stupid movie.

Aw, HELL.  You give it WAY more credit than I do.

And Kevin Costner's stiff and lifeless narration only made it WORSE.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#2 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

Stupid is as stupid does.

Exactly.

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#3 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

f212fd68aeca509fcdbbb675e67ce9276b0d9fa9

#4 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:25 PM

Among the first 4 movies I ever collected on video back in the late 1980s when I was a teenager and decided I wanted to own movies on tape and not just rent them one of them was a Western.  A Western Comedy, to be precise.  I have that tape some 28 years later; it still works.     

Waterhole #3 (1967) on Paramount Home Video, their 75th anniversary logo (1912-87) is on the video box. 

I have it on DVD.

It's the Code of the West!

• Mr. Gorman likes this

#5 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Among the first 4 movies I ever collected on video back in the late 1980s when I was a teenager and decided I wanted to own movies on tape and not just rent them one of them was a Western.  A Western Comedy, to be precise.  I have that tape some 28 years later; it still works.     

Waterhole #3 (1967) on Paramount Home Video, their 75th anniversary logo (1912-87) is on the video box. 

(The other 3 movies I started out my collection with were "The End", "Advise and Consent", "Hail").

I don't have a favorite all-time Western, but there are ♦plenty♦ of them I like and have since bought on tape or disc over the intervening 2+ decades.  But the first was WATERHOLE #3 with James Coburn. 

#6 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

Jerome Moross's music score for "The Big Country" is great, but I'm a John Barry enthusiast. It's hard to beat his Oscar-winning score from "Dances with Wolves," which was the last Western to win Best Picture honors.

#7 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Oops! I knew there was another Western in there somewhere! :huh:

Some would maybe qualify NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN As a neowestern though.

#8 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

Except for Unforgiven. ;)

Oops! I knew there was another Western in there somewhere!  :huh:

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Micklewhite

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,349 posts
  • LocationSouff London

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

Jerome Moross's music score for "The Big Country" is great, but I'm a John Barry enthusiast. It's hard to beat his Oscar-winning score from "Dances with Wolves," which was the last Western to win Best Picture honors.

Except for Unforgiven. ;)

#10 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,426 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:24 PM

#11 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,380 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

Big Country *also wins for the music.  That theme gives me chills, the best theme from a western ever, hands down.

Here you go, one of the great musical scores of the movies:

• film lover 293 likes this

#12 YabbaDabba

YabbaDabba

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:54 PM

THE BIG COUNTRY is definitely among my top ten westerns, an intelligent William Wyler production, with an outstanding cast all rising to the occasion and one of the truly great western musical scores by Jerome Moross.

I have a feeling that many western buffs might be dismissive of this lengthy film primarily for two reasons:

1. its relative lack of action

2. its pacifist message

You might be right.  Dad loved this movie, though, and he wasn't a pacifist.  Not to mention that Heston is in it....lol   But when he got his first DVD player, this is one of the movies I got him to go with it.  

Big Country *also wins for the music.  That theme gives me chills, the best theme from a western ever, hands down.

#13 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,380 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

I have to agree with my fellow posters here. I mean, who DOESN'T want to kick Strother Martin's scuzzy character in the face?

That's GOTTA be fun!

One other thing. Once that steak hits the floor, I don't care who picks it up, I'm not eating it!

I just found the scene of Strother Martin getting the big Duke boot in the face on YT. Enjoy:

Just listen to Strother's high pitched dirty laughter at Jimmy Stewart's expense! Oh man, this dude deserved a full boot in the face!

Gotta be honest, though. Now that I watch the scene again for the first time in years I'm a little disappointed by the staging. It's still effective because of the sound effects but you don't actually see the connection made between boot and chin. Nevertheless, it's the thought that counts.

#14 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 18 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

I have to agree with my fellow posters here. I mean, who DOESN'T want to kick Strother Martin's scuzzy character in the face?

That's GOTTA be fun!

Another thing....

I have the movie on both tape and disc.  Whenever I watch it, I "rerun" that part over and over until my wife says(in frustration) "e-NOUGH already!"   :D

But don't get me WRONG here...I got nothin' but LOVE for "Brother Strother" !  :)

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#15 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:52 AM

"Ride the High Country" & the superb "Ox-Bow incident" would be my runners-up
  • Sepiatone likes this

#16 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:50 AM

'spence', the 1963 release 4 FOR TEXAS was a Western comedy starring Frank and Dino. 

Sinatra also made a movie in the late '40s called 'THE KISSING BANDIT'.  I think it was a Western, but I could be full of bull as I'm not 100% sure!

4-got about that one & I thank you. It's not bad either (**1/2)

#17 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:47 AM

Mr.Gorman--"The Kissing Bandit" (1948) is an MGM musical set in 1800's California.  The film has one good dance number "Dance of Fury", with Ricardo Montalban, Ann Miller, and Cyd Charisse; it was excerpted in "That's Entertainment! Part III" (1994).  Costar Kathryn Grayson has a nice song "Love Is Where You Find It".  Below is the "Whip Dance", with Sono Osato.

Thanx but it was not a Western & thanx again for the clip I've never seen all of "Johnny Concho' though "Kissing bandit" was always the butt of jokes in his (58) films
  • spence likes this

#18 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:45 AM

And are you forgetting, Good Sir, DIRTY DINGUS MCGEE, Sinatra's final picture and a western?

Or did you not know existed? I wouldn't blame you if You didnt....

I only found out about it a couple months ago whenwe were discussing Sinatra in another thread.

In the words of both Coop & Clint, yep, I posted something about the one & forgot "Sergeant's 3" the only Rat Pick picture I've yet to see

But, "The Chairman's' final picture was actually & believe it or not 1984's "Cannonball Run II"

#19 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

That's GOTTA be fun!

One other thing. Once that steak hits the floor, I don't care who picks it up, I'm not eating it!

Brother Strother only made it to age 61 & went in 1980
  • spence likes this

#20 spence

spence

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
  • LocationTampa Bay, FL

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:37 AM

Best western swan song: The Shootist

2.png

The Duke brought a dignity and proud grace to his final role as the dying gunman who decides to go out his own way. His restrained, dignified farewell scene with Lauren Bacall remains one of the actor's finest moments.

& "The Duke" truly deserved *Oscar attention for it, over "True Grit' because of the competition for 1969

Harry Carey, Jr does an homage to him on TCM & in his opinion deserved to win *Oscars for "She wore a Yellow Ribbon" (l949), "The Searchers," True Grit" & "The Shootist"
  • YabbaDabba and spence like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users