We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The 100+ Club

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 17 June 2017 - 09:51 AM

Oh, I remember that.  

I think you mean "Oy, I remember that."

• lydecker likes this

I'm a big boy.

#2 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Which was then spoofed on SNL by having a rabbi perform a circumcision in the back seat

Oh, I remember that.  

#3 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,485 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:58 PM

Which was then spoofed on SNL by having a rabbi perform a circumcision in the back seat

LOL

Ya know, I think I remember that now.

#4 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

LOL

Well, not to sidetrack your thread anymore than I already have, but you might remember a TV commercial which I believed played around the mid-'60s for Ford's Lincoln division, and in which to show how smooth-riding and comfortable their Continental models were, presented some renown jeweler cutting a diamond in the back seat while it was being driven over a rough road. 

• lydecker likes this

I'm a big boy.

#5 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:05 PM

LOL

Well, not to sidetrack your thread anymore than I already have, but you might remember a TV commercial which I believed played around the mid-'60s for Ford's Lincoln division, and in which to show how smooth-riding and comfortable their Continental models were, presented some renown jeweler cutting a diamond in the back seat while it was being driven over a rough road. 

Sidetrack away . . . 

#6 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,485 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

I would have thought cigarettes, too.  On the other hand, perhaps Ford had a commercial running on "Wagon Train" that went something like. . . "Our cars are a lot more comfortable than a damn wagon train." 

LOL

#7 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

According to this website, Wagon Train was for many years sponsored by the Ford Motor Co...

https://www.pinteres...71007497701214/

(...although I would've put my money on somebody like Winston Cigarettes, as it seemed at least half the programs back then were sponsored by some large tobacco concern)

I would have thought cigarettes, too.  On the other hand, perhaps Ford had a commercial running on "Wagon Train" that went something like. . . "Our cars are a lot more comfortable than a damn wagon train." 

• Dargo likes this

#8 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,485 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

RIght you are, Dargo. 20 Mule Team Borax (what a name for a product!) sponsored "Death Valley Days" which, for a while, was apparently hosted by our former president, Ronald Reagan.  In case anyone is dying to know more about 20 Mule Team Borax (stop the presses) here's a link:  https://en.wikipedia...Mule_Team_Borax

Which makes me wonder . . . who was the sponsor of "Wagon Train?" 

L

According to this website, Wagon Train was for many years sponsored by the Ford Motor Co...

https://www.pinteres...71007497701214/

(...although I would've put my money on somebody like Winston Cigarettes, as it seemed at least half the programs back then were sponsored by some large tobacco concern)

#9 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

RIght you are, Dargo. 20 Mule Team Borax (what a name for a product!) sponsored "Death Valley Days" which, for a while, was apparently hosted by our former president, Ronald Reagan.  In case anyone is dying to know more about 20 Mule Team Borax (stop the presses) here's a link:  https://en.wikipedia...Mule_Team_Borax

Which makes me wonder . . . who was the sponsor of "Wagon Train?" 

L

#10 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,485 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

Thanks for this!  I loved Bond in The Maltese Falcon.  He played such a wonderful world-weary cop and was a great counterpoint to Bogart.  Oddly, though I grew up in the era, for some reason all I remember about Wagon Train is "20 Mule Team Borax!"

Actually overeasy, I'm pretty sure "20 Mule Team Borax" sponsored the program Death Valley Days, not Wagon Train.

• lydecker likes this

#11 FItzMularkey

FItzMularkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

Thanks for finally doing a salute to Ward Bond. Amazing that he was in eleven Best Pictures.  Wonder if that is a record??

Fitz

#12 overeasy

overeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

attachicon.gifwardbond.jpgWard Bond

He was everywhere in film (227 films!) and played down-to-earth, solid American men  -- cowboys, cops, cabbies, soldiers and more.  He also, more often than not, showed up in film as a good buddy of John Wayne’s, a part which he also played in life.

Ward Bond was born in Nebraska in 1903.  In the 1920’s, while attending the University of Southern California, he met John Wayne, who, like Bond, played on the USC football team.  In 1929, Bond, Wayne and the entire USC team were hired to appear as extras in a football film, “Salute,” which was directed by John Ford.  Ford, Bond and Wayne forged a friendship which lasted all of their lifetimes.

Once Ward Bond became an actor, he never stopped.  In 1934 he appeared in 21 films, in 1935, he appeared in 25 and was, year after year, always in demand as a reliable character actor.  Ward Bond, astonishingly, appeared in 11 films which were nominated for Best Picture (which may be a record) including:  “Arrowsmith,” “Lady for a Day,” “It Happened One Night,” “The Maltese Falcon,” It’s A Wonderful Life,” and, of course, “Gone With The Wind.”  Bond appeared in some bit parts but was generally used as a major supporting player.  Some of his more memorable characters were John L. Sullivan in “Gentleman Jim,” Detective Tom Polhaus in “The Maltese Falcon” and Bert, the Cop in “It’s A Wonderful Life.”  Ward Bond was a polarizing figure, a man of strong opinions and was either loved or hated by those who knew him. He was an ardent anti Communist and strongly approved of the activities of the House Un-American Activities Committee. Because of this, for many years after the Committee Hearings, Bond was only hired to work in films with John Wayne (who was of a like political persuasion.)

Like many other character actors, when the studio system was phasing out in the 1950’s, Ward Bond moved to television where he found new fame. At 54, he made a major comeback as Major Seth Adams (finally, a leading role!) in the western series, “Wagon Train.”  A whole new generation suddenly discovered the talents of Ward Bond. Bond appeared in 133 episodes of the show and, though he had been warned by his doctors to cut back on his schedule, he continued to work steadily.  Ward Bond died of a heart attack at age 57. His good friend and frequent co-star, John Wayne delivered his eulogy.

Thanks for this!  I loved Bond in The Maltese Falcon.  He played such a wonderful world-weary cop and was a great counterpoint to Bogart.  Oddly, though I grew up in the era, for some reason all I remember about Wagon Train is "20 Mule Team Borax!"

#13 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

Attached File  wardbond.jpg   6.34KB   0 downloadsWard Bond

He was everywhere in film (227 films!) and played down-to-earth, solid American men  -- cowboys, cops, cabbies, soldiers and more.  He also, more often than not, showed up in film as a good buddy of John Wayne’s, a part which he also played in life.

Ward Bond was born in Nebraska in 1903.  In the 1920’s, while attending the University of Southern California, he met John Wayne, who, like Bond, played on the USC football team.  In 1929, Bond, Wayne and the entire USC team were hired to appear as extras in a football film, “Salute,” which was directed by John Ford.  Ford, Bond and Wayne forged a friendship which lasted all of their lifetimes.

Once Ward Bond became an actor, he never stopped.  In 1934 he appeared in 21 films, in 1935, he appeared in 25 and was, year after year, always in demand as a reliable character actor.  Ward Bond, astonishingly, appeared in 11 films which were nominated for Best Picture (which may be a record) including:  “Arrowsmith,” “Lady for a Day,” “It Happened One Night,” “The Maltese Falcon,” It’s A Wonderful Life,” and, of course, “Gone With The Wind.”  Bond appeared in some bit parts but was generally used as a major supporting player.  Some of his more memorable characters were John L. Sullivan in “Gentleman Jim,” Detective Tom Polhaus in “The Maltese Falcon” and Bert, the Cop in “It’s A Wonderful Life.”  Ward Bond was a polarizing figure, a man of strong opinions and was either loved or hated by those who knew him. He was an ardent anti Communist and strongly approved of the activities of the House Un-American Activities Committee. Because of this, for many years after the Committee Hearings, Bond was only hired to work in films with John Wayne (who was of a like political persuasion.)

Like many other character actors, when the studio system was phasing out in the 1950’s, Ward Bond moved to television where he found new fame. At 54, he made a major comeback as Major Seth Adams (finally, a leading role!) in the western series, “Wagon Train.”  A whole new generation suddenly discovered the talents of Ward Bond. Bond appeared in 133 episodes of the show and, though he had been warned by his doctors to cut back on his schedule, he continued to work steadily.  Ward Bond died of a heart attack at age 57. His good friend and frequent co-star, John Wayne delivered his eulogy.

• Dargo likes this

#14 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

Attached File  images-1.jpeg   4.81KB   0 downloadsLouise Beavers

Louise Beavers was a trailblazer for black movie actors but she also dealt with a great deal of criticism for the roles she played.  She worked at a time when talented African-American actors were, for the most part, only given the opportunity to play servile characters.  She once remarked: “As long as the plays are being written and produced for whites by whites, there will be the same chance for criticism.” Yet, she persevered for 33 years and gave 124 fine films performances which we still enjoy today. 

Louise Beavers was born in Cincinnati in 1902 but moved to Pasadena with her family when she was 11.  Her mother, a voice teacher, had hopes that Louise would sing in concert halls but, instead, after graduating from Pasadena High School, Louise joined a group of young women singers called the “Lady Minstrels.”  Charles Butler of Central Casting (who was well known as an agent for African-American actors) saw Louise perform and suggested she audition for work in films.  There is some dispute about which film was Louise Beavers’ first  -- 1923’s “Gold Diggers” or 1927’s “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” but Beavers’ first performance of note was in 1929’s “Coquette,” playing Mary Pickford’s nanny in the film. Film buffs like to point out that Louise Beavers was actually 10 years younger than Pickford (!) when she played her “old” nanny.

Beavers’ role of a lifetime came in 1934 as Delilah Johnson in “Imitation of Life.”  Rather than being relegated to the sidelines, Louise Beavers shared the screen equally with Claudette Colbert as they played two young mothers struggling to raise their daughters.  It is Delilah Johnson’s famous pancake recipe which propels the women from rags to riches.  Louise Beavers finally had a three dimensional, dramatic role to play and she made the most of it, pretty much stealing the film from Claudette Colbert.  Many film scholars believe that this breakout role ruined any chance Beavers might have had to appear in even more significant parts for one simple reason  -- As Hollywood gossip columnist, Jimmie Fidler said:  “She was too good! Any actress who can steal a picture away from Miss Colbert will be given few chances to steal from other stars.”  Louise Beavers had been considered, far and away, the leading candidate to play Mammy in “Gone With The Wind” but the role instead went to Hattie McDaniel (who in turn nearly stole that film from Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable!)  While Louise Beavers continued to be a very busy actress, she never was offered a part as important as Delilah Johnson by a major studio again. Louise Beavers did appear as the lead actress in a pair of films produced by Million Dollar Productions, a company which specialized in films featuring all African-American casts,  “Life Goes On” (1938)  and “Reform School" (1939) but the distribution of those films was limited.

Beavers continued to work steadily through the 1940’s and 1950’s in such films as “Shadow of the Thin Man,” No Time for Comedy,” “DuBarry Was A Lady” and “Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.”  In 1952 Louise Beavers took over for an ailing Hattie McDaniel, starring in the TV Show “Beulah” for 2 seasons.  She then took on the role as the tart tongued housekeeper, Louise, (often stealing scenes from Danny Thomas) in “”Make Room For Daddy.” Her last film role was in 1960 in “The Facts of Life” and she died two years later at the age of 60. In 1976 Louise Beavers was posthumously inducted into the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame.

Coming up next:  Ward Bond

• jamesjazzguitar and MovieCollectorOH like this

#15 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Ward Bond is on my list to salute. Patience, grasshopper!!

#16 FItzMularkey

FItzMularkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:51 AM

Are you going to salute Ward Bond??  It seems as though he was in a million movies.

#17 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Attached File  Unknown.jpeg   7.89KB   0 downloadsSamuel S. Hinds

He played the quintessential gentleman; a thoughtful, principled authority figure in film after film.  It was an easy role for him to slip into, since in many ways, Samuel S. Hinds was, in real life, very much the same as the roles he played.

Samuel S. Hinds was born in 1875 and grew up in an affluent, educated family.  His father, Joseph Hinds, was a lifelong friend of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) and Thomas Alva Edison and owned and/or ran several successful printing and lithography companies. Hinds attended prep school and graduated from Harvard University and New York University Law School.  Like so many other future actors, he was bitten by the theatrical bug while in school, but to please his father, Hinds took up law as his profession, moving to California in 1908.  He settled in Pasadena where he quickly became involved in the theatrical productions being produced in the city, eventually becoming one of the founding members of the famed Pasadena Playhouse. By day, Hinds practiced law, while at night he was one of the Playhouse’s regular leading men. Some of his most notable appearances were in plays such as: “The Admirable Crichton,” “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” and, appearing with Paul Muni, “The Man Saul.” Hinds’ involvement with the Playhouse eventually brought him to the attention of film industry and he appeared in his first film, “The Amateur Gentleman,” in 1924.

1929’s stock market crashed wiped out most of Samuel S. Hinds’ fortune and he was forced to sell his beloved home in Pasadena. This life-altering event caused Hinds to abandon the practice of law for his first love, acting.  He said:  “I thought it was a good time to change my profession. I decided I would become a movie actor.  I had nothing to lose, for I had already lost everything.”  Almost immediately, Hinds’ talent and professionalism made him a very much in-demand character actor. In 1933 alone, he appeared in 22 films. Samuel S. Hinds (sometimes billed as Samuel Hinds, no middle initial) appeared in over 200 films over the course of his career. Some of his more memorable roles were in films such as: “You Can’t Take It With You,” “Gabriel Over The White House,” “Rendezvous” and “It’s A Wonderful Life.”  He was perhaps best known for his recurring role as kindly “Dr. Stephen Kildare,” (father of the main character) in the popular MGM “Dr. Kildare” film series.  In 1940, Hinds joined with fellow actors, Dana Andrews, Moroni Olsen, Lloyd Nolan and others to form 18 Actors Inc., a professional acting company which performed in plays throughout Southern California.  Hinds worked up until the very end, dying in 1948 at the age of 73. His last film was “The Bribe,” released in 1949. 

In an interesting bit of trivia  --  Samuel S. Hind’s Pasadena home (which he was forced to sell after the Wall Street Crash) is a much sought after location used in TV and film production, most recently seen in AMC’s “Mad Men.”

#18 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

Attached File  Unknown.jpeg   7.81KB   0 downloadsEmma Dunn

The quintessential mother figure in film after film Emma Dunn always provided a charming, reassuring presence and was the consummate professional.

Emma Dunn was born in Cheshire, England in 1875.  By the time she was in her teens, she was already acting in local productions which eventually led her to the London stage and then on to Broadway. She appeared on Broadway in 1906 in “Peer Gynt,” working with Richard Mansfield and then starred in three productions for famed theater impressario, David Belasco. She was a very much in-demand stage actress.

For the woman who would play so many, many mothers in her film career, it was completely appropriate that Emma Dunn’s first film (in which she starred) was entitled “Mother,” produced in 1914 and directed by French film director, Maurice Tourneur. She made two more silent films before making her talkie debut in “Side Street” in 1924.  From that point on, Emma Dunn worked non-stop for all of the studios making 9 films in 1931 alone.  She was particularly adept with foreign accents, playing a variety of character with diverse nationalities including:  Irish, Italian, Spanish and American. Some of Emma Dunn’s 107 feature films include:  “The Guilty Generation,” “Broken Lullaby,” “Letty Lynton,” “Dr. Monica,” The Glass Key” and “Mr. Deeds Goes To Town.”  She appeared 7 times as Martha Kildare, mother of Lew Ayres aka "Dr. James Kildare” in the highly successful MGM Dr. Kildare series.

Emma Dunn was an author, as well as an actress, and wrote two books on elocution and speech:  “Thought Quality in Speech” in 1933  and “You Can Do It” in 1947. Her last film was “The Woman in White” in 1948 and she died at the age of 91 in 1966.

Coming up next:  Samuel Hinds

#19 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:23 PM

Hey Lydecker, I PM'd you once more.

Got it.  Thanks!!!!

• MovieCollectorOH likes this