We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Debbie Reynolds singing to Carla Laemmle

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JamesStewartFan95

JamesStewartFan95

Joe Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

Audrey Hepburn and Claude Rains

• antoniacarlotta likes this

#2 antoniacarlotta

antoniacarlotta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:32 PM

What you post I find very interesting since you're helping keep the sprit of these contributors to our culture alive for future generations.

As for your question;  I would pick Olivia DeHavilland and Leslie Howard.    Olivia because she played mostly strong but still feminine characters with such class.  

Howard because, while he wasn't a typical macho actor,  he was still strong and secure in himself.    As actresses like DeHavilland, Vivian Leigh and others on the set of Gone With the Wind said,  Howard was much more of a man's man than the insecure Clark Gable.

Thank you! 

I would love to talk to Olivia de Havilland. Such an interesting life, and such a career as well! And I don't know too much about Leslie Howard, but definitely seems he was underrated, at least in his legacy now.  

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,821 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

I lurk a lot, but don't post too often :)

What you post I find very interesting since you're helping keep the sprit of these contributors to our culture alive for future generations.

As for your question;  I would pick Olivia DeHavilland and Leslie Howard.    Olivia because she played mostly strong but still feminine characters with such class.  

Howard because, while he wasn't a typical macho actor,  he was still strong and secure in himself.    As actresses like DeHavilland, Vivian Leigh and others on the set of Gone With the Wind said,  Howard was much more of a man's man than the insecure Clark Gable.

#4 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,778 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

OH, and regarding your "follow-up question" here, Antonia...

The two studio era stars I would like to have seen interacting together would be Clark Gable and Loretta Young, as such a thing might just answer a question which occasionally gets tossed around 'round here!

(...if "ya know" what I mean) ;)

#5 antoniacarlotta

antoniacarlotta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

Oh yeah! Antonia comes on the boards occasionally(too occasionally in my view) and posts about her family's connection to early Hollywood.

(...specifically, the history of Universal Studios) 

I lurk a lot, but don't post too often :) 

#6 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:25 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit how many "ya knows" I cut out! They were out in full force yesterday  :blink:

Yeah, well, I probably was just as guilty of this back when I was your age, Antonia.

(..."ya know")

;)

• antoniacarlotta likes this

#7 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:19 PM

I didn't watch the video before posting. I wasn't aware they were related!

Oh yeah! Antonia comes on the boards occasionally(too occasionally in my view) and posts about her family's connection to early Hollywood.

(...specifically, the history of Universal Studios) 

• film lover 293 likes this

#8 antoniacarlotta

antoniacarlotta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:16 PM

That sort'a thing seems to run in the family, wouldn't ya say Lawrence?! ;)

(...yes, I think young Antonia here is real cutie too...in fact, I'm thinkin' in few years she could be pretty good as a TCM presenter, as she possesses a very pleasant voice...well, once she rids herself of those unfortunate "ya knows", anyway)

I'm embarrassed to admit how many "ya knows" I cut out! They were out in full force yesterday  :blink:

• Dargo and film lover 293 like this

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:12 PM

(...yes, I think young Antonia here is real cutie too...in fact, I'm thinkin' in few years she could be pretty good as a TCM presenter...well, once she rids herself of all those "ya knows", anyway)

I didn't watch the video before posting. I wasn't aware they were related!

#10 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,778 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

Carla Laemmle was the girl in glasses on the stagecoach in Dracula, right? I always thought she was a cutie.

(...yes, I think young Antonia here is real cutie too...in fact, I'm thinkin' in a few years she could be pretty good as a TCM presenter, as she possesses a very pleasant voice...well, once she rids herself of those unfortunate "ya knows", anyway)

#11 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,070 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Carla Laemmle was the girl in glasses on the stagecoach in Dracula, right? I always thought she was a cutie.

#12 antoniacarlotta

antoniacarlotta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:43 PM

I recently found a video of the late, great Debbie Reynolds singing Happy Birthday to classic horror actress, Carla Laemmle. Pretty amazing to see two legends in the same room together. And crazy enough, the video was taken by the YouTube star, Glozell.

Follow-up question: Who are two classic film stars you'd love to meet or see together? 

• Dargo and film lover 293 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users