We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

who'll replace robert osborne ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

How about an array of "guest" hosts like Julie Andrews introducing musicals, Kevin Costner introducing westerns and etc. for the silents and classic old films some revered star from long past.  This could continue until an official host is chosen.

#2 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,934 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

Now, ya know who WOULD make one hell of a great TCM presenter? And, a guy would doesn't seem to be doin' much lately in The Biz?

Uh-huh. A guy would LOVES classic movies.

AND, a guy who almost EVERYBODY agrees was THE best host of the Oscar ceremonies, and where he'd constantly exhibit said love and knowledge of movies.

Yep! I'm talkin' Billy Crystal here.

Hey, Billy, you're on  . . .

Oscars-2012-Billy-Crystal-007.jpg

The clown with his pants falling down

Or the dance that's a dream of romance

Or the scene where the villain is mean

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!

Now there's Rick, who calls Ilsa his chick

Or, yes, Rhett, loving Scarlett you bet

And King Kong, oh man is he strong

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!

Yes there's Bing, he's the master of swing

And the Duke, his horse it don't spook

Or Monroe, on the screen does she glow

THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT!

TCM is a stage; that stage is a world of EN-TER-TAAAAAIN-MENT!

How am doing, folks, and welcome to TCM! Have we got a great film for you tonight . . .

• Dargo likes this

#3 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,228 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:25 AM

Well, maybe I misunderstood. It seemed to me the thread was implying who will replace Robert Osborne as the main host, when that question has already been answered. But as far as just hiring a new host in general, I sort of feel like that's already happened. Ben will do the most hosting, and you'll see various others mixed in: Dave Karger, Eddie Muller, Tiffany Vazquez and occasional celebrity guest hosts such as Dana Delaney, Iliyana Douglas and Robert Wagner.

They shouldn't attempt to insert someone similar to Osborne in the main slot. Ben will do just fine.

• lydecker likes this

#4 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:37 AM

Well, maybe I misunderstood. It seemed to me the thread was implying who will replace Robert Osborne as the main host, when that question has already been answered. But as far as just hiring a new host in general, I sort of feel like that's already happened. Ben will do the most hosting, and you'll see various others mixed in: Dave Karger, Eddie Muller, Tiffany Vazquez and occasional celebrity guest hosts such as Dana Delaney, Iliyana Douglas and Robert Wagner.

#5 yanceycravat

yanceycravat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:52 AM

I've been observing this thread with quiet bafflement for some time now. It appears no one else is ever going to say it, so here goes: this whole thread seems to be insult as it doesn't acknowledge someone already replaced Robert well over a year ago, assuming the bulk of the hosting duties even during Robert's final months on the network.

Assuming there is a chain of command one would assume Ben automatically moves up to the top spot. I don't think anyone is disputing that. Nor do I think anyone is trying to be insulting.

It seems clear the network is interested in someone sharing the duties with Ben or he'd have been going solo for the last several years. Maybe we're all wrong. We've sort of gotten used to there being two night time hosts trading off intros and naturally figured there might be someone in the wings to be that "other host".

To many of us Robert Osborne could never be replaced by anyone, respectfully, not even Ben. But it seems clear the network decided ten or eleven years ago that doing all those intros is too much for one person.

Yancey

• film lover 293 likes this

#6 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 878 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:02 AM

I've been observing this thread with quiet bafflement for some time now. It appears no one else is ever going to say it, so here goes: this whole thread seems to be insult as it doesn't acknowledge someone already replaced Robert well over a year ago, assuming the bulk of the hosting duties even during Robert's final months on the network.

#7 gagman66

gagman66

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,488 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

One of my first choices obviously would be Leonard Maltin. Here are some other unique suggestions. None are high profile people, but all of them could be.

Karie Bible - Just a beautiful and highly charismatic lady with a profound passion for Noir, Golden Age and especially Silent Films.

Ginger Pauly - Lovely young gal, who is Vintage through and through. Loves the Golden Age and Silent Era's. Actress, Comedienne, Singer, interviewer. Boundless personality and charm.

Fernando Martin Pena' - His knowledge of the Cinema and in particular Spanish, Argentine, and the Silent Era is virtually without peer.

Hugh Munro Neely - An amazing historian who has personally discovered and restored many previously lost films. Extremely personable. His knowledge of the Silent and Golden Era's is impeccable. 

Bob Fells - If you amalgamated together Bob Dorian and Robert Osborne he would look like Bob Fells. Bob belongs on TCM. Few people know more about Classic Cinema anywhere.

Jorge Finkielman - Jorge is literally a one man archive beyond compare. Has restored more Classic film images Lobby's, Posters, stills, etc, then anyone else I can think of. Jorge makes many so called historians sound like novices by comparison. 

Chuck Tabesh - Chief TCM Programmer from the beginning. Hey, Chuck when are you actually going to appear on camera? I've been waiting for well over a decade! Don't be shy!

Ron Hutchinson - Head of The Vita-phone Project. Great knowledge of Silents and Pre-code cinema. Very personable guy.

• kingrat, Dargo and film lover 293 like this

#8 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Now, ya know who WOULD make one hell of a great TCM presenter? And, a guy would doesn't seem to be doin' much lately in The Biz?

Uh-huh. A guy would LOVES classic movies.

AND, a guy who almost EVERYBODY agrees was THE best host of the Oscar ceremonies, and where he'd constantly exhibit said love and knowledge of movies.

Yep! I'm talkin' Billy Crystal here.

Wonder if he could be pressed into service? He seems the perfect fit to ME, anyway.

(...now, I, DARGO, would do it, but nobody knows ME from what Sheldon Leonard's Nick the bartender once says about George Bailey in Capra's Christmas perennial-"Adam's Off Ox", and so don't look for the TCM honchos to come knockin' on MY door any time soon, folks...and besides, I'm MUCH too damn cheap to sign onto that whole "Blacklot" thing, and where supposedly one can get their foot in the ol' door) 

;)

Well, I stopped watching the Oscars during his reign as host.  I hated those shows.  Other than the year they gave Blake Edwards an honorary award, I've never watched them, again.  Mostly, because I don't care about actors, today, and the majority of films nominated are just tedious, imo.  I'm okay with Ben as the lead host.  He is, anyway, so I hope they just keep it that way.  I also don't want Alec Baldwin!

#9 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,746 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:21 PM

Sorry Vautrin, but BOB's family never spelled THEIR surname with that dumb British superfluous letter 'u', and UNLIKE the limey Ozzy's!

(...and so sorry, but your comment doesn't make sense, dude)

;)

Well now, perhaps Bob's family decided to drop the u when they

arrived in the States. He did make a joke about Ozzy when he

gave his speech for his star on the Walk of Fame. I'm fine with

no host at all, but if Ozzy isn't available, how about Geezer Butler?

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#10 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,407 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:14 PM

I have serious doubts that any Hollywood A or B-list actor, even if they are on the downside of their careers, is going to do this job.

So who suggested THAT?

You can't mean me because I said nothing about A or B list.  OR about being on the downside of their career.  But then, don't rule that out either....

For many years, a favored and highly respected local Detroit movie host was BILL KENNEDY who had only a few credits in major hollywood productions( his pride and joy being the executioner in JOAN OF ARC) and some small TV roles and doing the SUPERMAN voice over introduction.  But the people loved him.  He had knowledge of the old hollywood ropes and enough referrence materials to make any info about the movie he was showing more interesting.

But using old RO intros would be OK too.  But as they keep adding to the library, they'll have to get a new face to usher those in whenever they're shown.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#11 JeanneCrain

JeanneCrain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:45 PM

No one can replace Robert Osborne and no one should...I am sure TCM has thousands of Robert Osborne movie introductions...and like those in the movies that have long passed, it would seem appropriate for TCM to continue Robert Osborne movie introductions, particularly, the true classics...as Robert would say, the magic of movies is that those in them never die...it would be a shame if TCM killed Mr. TCM himself by never re-airing Mr. Osborne's wonderful movie introductions. :wub:

• lydecker and Sepiatone like this

#12 overeasy

overeasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

Exactly.

Over the years I have been very impressed with Bob Mondello on NPR.  He is a superior writer, has an interesting voice and, from what I can tell online, looks good enough to be on TV.  Clearly he knows movies.   I don't about his ability in front of a camera, but he would be worth a serious look.

And while yes, while Madeleine Stowe did OK (I wouldn't say great...) I have serious doubts that any Hollywood A or B-list actor, even if they are on the downside of their careers, is going to do this job.

I don't like the idea of the rotating host.  It undermines the TCM "brand" and it means you end up with the good, the bad and the ugly.  There really is no upside to that approach, unless you're doing it as way to audition people for a full time gig.

Of course, TCM has had a LONG time to consider this.  Robert was clearly ill for some time.  Indeed, they should be ready to pull the trigger right now....

#13 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:21 PM

I think the one thing that is essential to being a success as a TCM host (whether occasional or regular) is that the person doing it needs to be comfortable "reporting" on camera.  RO was an anomaly  --  a person who had often appeared on camera (he had done stand-up reports for LA stations, had appeared on the CBS Morning News and hosted The Movie Channel all prior to becoming the host of TCM) who also had an encyclopedic knowledge of classic film history.  It is highly unlikely that that kind of person will ever come along again. But, someone who is a film critic on broadcast or cable TV would be ideal. These people know how to convey information on camera   --  an absolutely critical skill for the job which a recent hire who shall go unnamed clearly will never have. One of the reasons that most of the actors (Matthew Broderick, etc. etc.) who have hosted on TCM do such a poor job is because there is a world of difference between being an actor and being a TV host/reporter.  An actor plays a character; a TV host/reporter "plays" himself and reports information. TCM should be checking out TV entertainment reporters as potential hosts if they seriously want to hire an additional person (or replace one who shall go unnamed!) I'd love to think a serious film scholar could do the job but a person like that would likely not have the needed on-camera skills to be successful.  

• rover27 likes this

#14 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,796 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Freeman and Tomlin are probably too busy as of late.

Reynolds is probably too ill.

Yep, Lawrence.

Burt was looking pretty frail last year at the Barrett-Jackson classic car auction in Scottsdale, and when he rolled up in that SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT Trans Am that went under the hammer.

#15 kingrat

kingrat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

CineMaven and yanceycravat, who have both been guest programmers, would be on my short list of potential hosts. Both have the presence, on-camera experience, film knowledge, and engaging personality necessary for the job.

Madeleine Stowe did an exceptional job as guest host, although I can't help wishing that she would get another role as perfect for her as Victoria on Revenge.

Annette O'Toole would be another top choice, either with or without Michael McKean. The back-and-forth between the two was a lot of fun, and both were quite knowledgeable about classic films.

Eddie Muller probably is too busy with noir-related activities to be a full-time host, but he is a fine addition to the TCM family.

Dave Karger did a good job as guest host, and he seems to appeal to at least one important TCM constituency, doesn't he?

No one will ever really replace Robert Osborne, but for the last couple of years Ben M has served very effectively as the main host of TCM, and will probably continue to do so for years to come. With Ben as the main host, TCM has the option of bringing in someone to take over Ben's previous role or else relying, at least for a while, on a variety of guest hosts. Some of the decision may be budget-driven.

• yanceycravat likes this

#16 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,225 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:05 PM

I would nominate to be the next primary host on TCM:

Lily Tomlin 

Burt Reynolds

Morgan Freeman

Eri Sendai

Will McKinley He is a blogger with ties to TCM

Film critic Mike D'Angelo

Film critic Ignatiy Vishnevetsky 

CineMaven She was once a regular in this forum and is an independent filmmaker. She is a very easy listen.

Freeman and Tomlin are probably too busy as of late.

Reynolds is probably too ill.

#17 SansFin

SansFin

U. S. Citizen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:56 PM

I hope that all will understand that I am writing this as my painkillers are kicking in and that I am still processing several hours' of very vivid and very surreal dreams and so my lucidity and good judgement are validly open to question and criticism.

I would nominate to be the next primary host on TCM:

Lily Tomlin 

Burt Reynolds

Morgan Freeman

Eri Sendai

Will McKinley He is a blogger with ties to TCM https://willmckinley.wordpress.com/

Film critic Mike D'Angelo

Film critic Ignatiy Vishnevetsky https://www.youtube....h?v=3G1nWHkNqZk

CineMaven She was once a regular in this forum and is an independent filmmaker. She is a very easy listen.

I would suggest alternately finding a great film historian/critic/insider to write the intros and outros and have a simple voiceover during images and mini-clips illustrating.

I would suggest alternately an amorphous cgi character which could suggest the features of whoever star is being discussed. 

My Avatar: Little girl ghost from "義足のMoses"

Russian nesting dolls are full of themselves.

#18 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

I only watched the Robert Osborne "Private Screenings" episode last night and was kind of startled.  I REMEMBER that scene in THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and some of those beer commercials.  I never correlated RO as the same guy when I started watching TCM.

Rotating guest hosts might work for a while, but they need to get a regular.  If it's "political" Ben, well OK.  He does well enough.  But I'd consider, if not Ben, then getting someone from the same arena Bob came from.  A movie writer/historian with a similar background in  film literature.  And with some "connections" and slight experience with working in front of a camera.

Or maybe even some retired and well known and respected actor, actress or director.  But I'm at a loss to suggest any names.

Sepiatone

Well put.  Ben does well, and they have had some interesting guest hosts.  I think a few of them might have been working actors/actresses who couldn't tear themselves away for more than the time it takes to film the guest spots.  In order to do this right, it would likely need to be a major career change for someone, and therein lies the problem.  In addition I'd prefer a lesser known individual, someone that I don't know all the dirt about.  Quite a tall list.

#19 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

I think it would be interesting to have a regular rotation of guest hosts within the film industry to introduce films that are close to the genres to which they are associated. They can be actors, directors, editors, etc, and they can change them yearly like The Essentials co-hosts.

I think Billy Crystal would make a great guest host. I also think Alec Baldwin would be great. I hesitate to offer this person as a suggestion, but Seth MacFarlane has a great love of all things nostalgia, and might be a very entertaining guest host.

Whatever TCM decides to do, I think we can all agree that there will never be another host who is as perfectly suited for the job as Robert Osborne.

There will never be another Robert Osborne.  Other people may try but they cannot be him.  However, another great host may exist.  Someone who could pick up and take over.  Time will tell.

• rover27 likes this

#20 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Interestingly I posted a similar topic about 3 weeks before we lost RO. 

In that post I asked if folks thought Dave Karger would make a good host since he seems in the same style and manner as RO.  I believe there were 3 or 4 people who were in favor before the post was mysteriously pulled...

Yancey

I don't know that I saw that thread, but yeah interesting.  I found myself thinking the same thing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users