We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

who'll replace robert osborne ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

I do think that Dave Karger would make a worthy addition to TCM's roster of regular hosts. As it is, Karger has already distinguished himself as one of the leading authorities on the Academy Awards, assuming that mantle from Osborne, and I would not be surprised if Karger is tapped to continue Osborne's legacy as the official historian of the Oscars -- 90 Years of the Oscar ​is due next year.

+1

#22 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

I do think that Dave Karger would make a worthy addition to TCM's roster of regular hosts. As it is, Karger has already distinguished himself as one of the leading authorities on the Academy Awards, assuming that mantle from Osborne, and I would not be surprised if Karger is tapped to continue Osborne's legacy as the official historian of the Oscars -- 90 Years of the Oscar ​is due next year.

• film lover 293 likes this

#23 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,225 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

I only watched the Robert Osborne "Private Screenings" episode last night and was kind of startled.  I REMEMBER that scene in THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and some of those beer commercials.  I never correlated RO as the same guy when I started watching TCM.

Rotating guest hosts might work for a while, but they need to get a regular.  If it's "political" Ben, well OK.  He does well enough.  But I'd consider, if not Ben, then getting someone from the same arena Bob came from.  A movie writer/historian with a similar background in  film literature.  And with some "connections" and slight experience with working in front of a camera.

Or maybe even some retired and well known and respected actor, actress or director.  But I'm at a loss to suggest any names.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#24 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:43 AM

I think it would be interesting to have a regular rotation of guest hosts within the film industry to introduce films that are close to the genres to which they are associated. They can be actors, directors, editors, etc, and they can change them yearly like The Essentials co-hosts.

I think Billy Crystal would make a great guest host. I also think Alec Baldwin would be great. I hesitate to offer this person as a suggestion, but Seth MacFarlane has a great love of all things nostalgia, and might be a very entertaining guest host.

Whatever TCM decides to do, I think we can all agree that there will never be another host who is as perfectly suited for the job as Robert Osborne.

• Dargo, Sepiatone and film lover 293 like this

#25 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:27 AM

Interestingly I posted a similar topic about 3 weeks before we lost RO. 

In that post I asked if folks thought Dave Karger would make a good host since he seems in the same style and manner as RO.  I believe there were 3 or 4 people who were in favor before the post was mysteriously pulled...

Yancey

I remember looking for that topic and not being able to locate it.

#26 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:11 AM

I don't think TCM will "replace" Robert Osborne.  He had been absent off and on for a couple of years and they increased Ben M's presence (ok by me  --  I've always like him) and went with various "guest hosts" for special segments during that time.  I think they'll continue doing that unless it makes more financial sense to have one person host all of the "Spotlights," etc. and then have Ben do the nightly hosting. Personally, I'd prefer a regular "Spotlight" host but perhaps that is because the performances of those folks have been so spotty  -- one time the host is pretty awful, the next time he/she is just fine.  I think "Essentials" is gone for good and I don't really have a problem with that.

Lydecker

• ChristineHoard likes this

#27 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,225 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

Dude, Donald Trump was a Guest Programmer of the Month. You see only what you want to see.

Heh, yeah.  And he probably thinks the WHOLE STATION is a "scam".  ;)

Sepiatone

#28 sewhite2000

sewhite2000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 03:27 AM

Dude, Donald Trump was a Guest Programmer of the Month. You see only what you want to see.

#29 yanceycravat

yanceycravat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:21 AM

Interestingly I posted a similar topic about 3 weeks before we lost RO. 

In that post I asked if folks thought Dave Karger would make a good host since he seems in the same style and manner as RO.  I believe there were 3 or 4 people who were in favor before the post was mysteriously pulled...

Yancey

#30 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:16 AM

They need someone who isn't political, people have had it with that.

Oh geeeeez. Here we go again.

You and your freakin' "Ben's too political" crap/NONSENSE!!!

(...I've said it to ya before and NOW I'll say it to ya AGAIN, dude...the ONLY thing "wrong" with Ben is that damn nasally VOICE of his...one day I'd LOVE to teach the guy how to say "actor" withOUT sounding like that freakin' AFLAC duck in those commercials, but alas I'd probably have just about the same level of success at THIS as Kathleen Freeman's diction coach Phoebe Dinsmore in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN does trying to get Jean Hagen's Lina Lamont to stop saying "I caint stands 'im" in HER nasally voice!!!)

LOL

• rover27, Sepiatone and film lover 293 like this

#31 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:14 AM

They need someone who isn't political, people have had it with that. And for a station that points out blacklisting so much, they don't seem to have many conservatives on, if ever.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#32 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

Now, ya know who WOULD make one hell of a great TCM presenter? And, a guy would doesn't seem to be doin' much lately in The Biz?

Uh-huh. A guy would LOVES classic movies.

AND, a guy who almost EVERYBODY agrees was THE best host of the Oscar ceremonies, and where he'd constantly exhibit said love and knowledge of movies.

Yep! I'm talkin' Billy Crystal here.

Wonder if he could be pressed into service? He seems the perfect fit to ME, anyway.

(...now, I, DARGO, would do it, but nobody knows ME from what Sheldon Leonard's Nick the bartender once says about George Bailey in Capra's Christmas perennial-"Adam's Off Ox", and so don't look for the TCM honchos to come knockin' on MY door any time soon, folks...and besides, I'm MUCH too damn cheap to sign onto that whole "Blacklot" thing, and where supposedly one can get their foot in the ol' door) 

;)

• CinemaInternational likes this

#33 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:25 AM

Ozzy Osbourne. Keep it in the family.

Sorry Vautrin, but BOB's family never spelled THEIR surname with that dumb British superfluous letter 'u', and UNLIKE the limey Ozzy's!

(...and so sorry, but your comment doesn't make sense, dude)

;)

#34 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:35 PM

I'd like to see more of Michael Phillips on TCM, although he's busy with his duties as the film critic of The Chicago Tribune.

Phillips will be hosting TCM on Friday nights in April, introducing a series devoted to post-WWII melodramas.

• jakeem likes this

#35 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

Ozzy Osbourne. Keep it in the family.

• GGGGerald likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#36 GGGGerald

GGGGerald

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 601 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:31 PM

Some will assume it'll be Ben.  Maybe they'll find an older and experienced film writer with a solid Hollywood background.

I don't really care but that I certainly hope it isn't ALEC BALDWIN.

Sepiatone

He'll be busy the next four years, at least !

• lydecker and film lover 293 like this

#37 jakeem

jakeem

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,353 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

I'd like to see more of Michael Phillips on TCM, although he's busy with his duties as the film critic of The Chicago Tribune.

• film lover 293 likes this

#38 LornaHansonForbes

LornaHansonForbes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  • LocationDark City, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

Some will assume it'll be Ben. Maybe they'll find an older and experienced film writer with a solid Hollywood background.

Sepiatone

I'm LOVING the shade in the first paragraph of your reply.

#39 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

Some will assume it'll be Ben.  Maybe they'll find an older and experienced film writer with a solid Hollywood background.

Sepiatone

Nahh, he's having too much success right now.

• GGGGerald likes this

#40 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,225 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 02:44 PM

Sepiatone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users