We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

How about a monthly "Robert Osborne night"?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bobkat13

bobkat13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 05:15 PM

I think this would be a wonderful way to honor Robert!

#2 thomasterryjr

thomasterryjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 04:08 PM

I originally brought up this subject in another thread which smacks of what is being spoken of in this thread.  I wrote: "It is grand that TCM is devoting time to the great career of our friend Robert with his long-form interviews and such. With April 14, the anniversary date of TCM, coming around and falling on a Friday, would it not be special to air "Bob's picks" this particular weekend with his introduction to the movie and thoughts after the movie? His love for film would be displayed through the screen and appreciated by all of us who watched him all these years."

Granted my suggestion is not endorsing the monthly idea of "Bob's Picks", it is for the 23rd anniversary of TCM which is Friday April 14th and would make a great weekend of movie viewing.  What I've suggested may be too much for TCM to handle since someone would have to go through their archive footage to find all of the "Bob Pick's" intros and outros throughout the years.  More importantly, the schedule for the weekend of April 14th is already set.  I really don't think the Director of Programming at TCM feels the need to reschedule the entire weekend at this date.     

So just for the record, I believe having a monthly "Robert Osborne Night" would be too much.  Once every two or three months would be better. 

#3 EricJ

EricJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:10 PM

Think we're still in the "Sainthood" phase that follows any highly-promoted obituary (Prince and Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds spring to mind), where we get a little TOO respectful, and our new imaginative inspirations start going past "respectful" and just trying to exploit neat ideas about how to make the Memoriams a little more permanent than they should be--

Remember when everyone was campaigning to have Ronald Reagan put on the $20 bill, and asking why there were only four heads on Mount Rushmore?

Osborne's had some respectful tributes, just like Gene Siskel got on Siskel & Ebert's show, but sooner or later, it comes down to the everyday job of who's going to continue.

Roger Ebert never did find a good Siskel replacement (oh, we fans were campaigning for Ain't It Cool News' Harry Knowles, until Joel Siegel did his guest shot, and Ebert ended up going for work-buddy nepotism instead), and the show never found a good replacement for Ebert, period, but now it's time to say whether TCM needs Ben Mankewicz, or whether a critic, historian or retired actor/director would fill the role of enthusiastic movie "educator".

Let's start a revolution:  http://movieactivist.blogspot.com

#4 KarmaGirl

KarmaGirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:46 AM

As much as I admire Osborne and his contributions, watching talking heads on an ongoing basis on TCM for me is a non-starter. Maybe once a month, a night should be reserved for showing his favorite films.

I agree.  I think that "Bob's Picks" should continue.

• bobkat13 likes this

#5 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

I've really been enjoying the tribute to Robert Osborne this weekend. To state the obvious, he was a masterful interviewer and was interesting as an interview subject, too. He made TCM what it is today (with able assistance from the great TCM team, of course).

At the same time, the tribute makes me sad, because it marks Bob's last hurrah on TCM.  The man who represented TCM so well for over two decades with his deep knowledge of classic films won't be seen regularly on the channel any more.

But then I started wondering, does it have to be that way?

It's not that I don't want TCM to move forward, and it's certainly not anything against Bob's worthy successors, like Ben. But does the future of TCM necessarily have to be one without Robert Osborne?

What about a monthly Robert Osborne Night?  It could feature his movie introductions based around a theme one month, then a night of Private Screenings the next month, and an evening of past Bob's Picks with his introductions the month after that, among other possibilities.  (Alternatively, there could be a weekly slot with an introduction or interview featuring Bob.)

I'd very much enjoy seeing Bob on a regular basis, even if it's only a dozen times each year. And I have to guess that the TCM programmers might appreciate a regular feature that they can rely to fill an evening each month. Would it be so odd for a channel that's based on the love of classic films to revisit some of its own classic moments, even if only for a few hours each month? 

What do others think? A good way to continue Bob's legacy, or just backward-looking nostalgia?

As much as I admire Osborne and his contributions, watching talking heads on an ongoing basis on TCM for me is a non-starter. Maybe once a month, a night should be reserved for showing his favorite films.

#6 sagebrush

sagebrush

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Locationwestern USA

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:26 AM

This is a great idea. If it was on the schedule, we would know when to look for it.

• bobkat13 likes this

#7 Golightly11

Golightly11

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:22 AM

I love this idea! It would keep a little piece of Robert alive on the channel. It would be comforting in a way.
  • bobkat13 likes this

#8 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:12 PM

Something.  Can't just go cold turkey.

• bobkat13 likes this

#9 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,965 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

I'LL concur.  :)

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#10 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

I think this is a great idea also.  TCM take note and think about it.

• bobkat13 likes this

#11 rover27

rover27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

I like the idea.

• bobkat13 likes this

#12 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:29 PM

I've really been enjoying the tribute to Robert Osborne this weekend. To state the obvious, he was a masterful interviewer and was interesting as an interview subject, too. He made TCM what it is today (with able assistance from the great TCM team, of course).

At the same time, the tribute makes me sad, because it marks Bob's last hurrah on TCM.  The man who represented TCM so well for over two decades with his deep knowledge of classic films won't be seen regularly on the channel any more.

But then I started wondering, does it have to be that way?

It's not that I don't want TCM to move forward, and it's certainly not anything against Bob's worthy successors, like Ben. But does the future of TCM necessarily have to be one without Robert Osborne?

What about a monthly Robert Osborne Night?  It could feature his movie introductions based around a theme one month, then a night of Private Screenings the next month, and an evening of past Bob's Picks with his introductions the month after that, among other possibilities.  (Alternatively, there could be a weekly slot with an introduction or interview featuring Bob.)

I'd very much enjoy seeing Bob on a regular basis, even if it's only a dozen times each year. And I have to guess that the TCM programmers might appreciate a regular feature that they can rely to fill an evening each month. Would it be so odd for a channel that's based on the love of classic films to revisit some of its own classic moments, even if only for a few hours each month? 

What do others think? A good way to continue Bob's legacy, or just backward-looking nostalgia?

• BelleLeGrand1, Dargo, Sepiatone and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users