We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Gable / Jannsen urban legend

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 March 2017 - 05:15 PM

Yeah, well, ya know Tom, as many men start to get into their senior years, they TOO begin to look like Ike.

(...in fact, just this morning while I was shaving, I noticed I myself have started looking less like James Coburn and more like Ike!) ;)

LOL

TRADE YA!

I'M starting to look more like ORSON WELLES( the later years)! 

So, to you, what's WORSE-----looking LESS like James Coburn and more like IKE?

Or less like James Coburn and looking more like CHARLES Coburn?  ;)

Sepiatone  (PS:  I wouldn't mind LOOKING like Welles if only it also came with that VOICE!)

• Dargo likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#2 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

LOL

Nope, I went with his famous D-Day speech instead.

(...you know, that whole, "You are about to embark upon the great crusade" thing)

;)

I don't know that speech but let us know when you get up one morning and, after a look in the mirror, feel compelled to have to give the Gettysburg Address.

• Dargo likes this

#3 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:54 PM

Yeh, but did you also warn yourself about the industrial-military complex?

LOL

Nope, I went with his famous D-Day speech instead.

(...you know, that whole, "You are about to embark upon the great crusade" thing)

;)

• TomJH likes this

#4 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, well, ya know Tom, as many men start to get into their senior years, they TOO begin to look like Ike.

(...in fact, just this morning while I was shaving, I noticed I myself have started looking less like James Coburn and more like Ike!) ;)

LOL

Yeh, but did you also warn yourself about the industrial-military complex?

• Dargo likes this

#5 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Some have commented (I'm sounding like Donald Trump there) that, take away the moustache and the hair, an older Gable started to look increasingly like Ike.

butnot9.jpg

(That's Gable on the left). ;)

LOL

#6 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

Not quite as deep, but besides Dale Robertson, do ya know who also sounded a bit like Gable?

The POTUS from 1953 to 1961.

(...yep...Eisenhower)

Some have commented (I'm sounding like Donald Trump there) that, take away the moustache and the hair, an older Gable started to look increasingly like Ike.

butnot9.jpg

(That's Gable on the left). ;)

#7 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

Not quite as deep, but besides Dale Robertson, do ya know who also sounded a bit like Gable?

The POTUS from 1953 to 1961.

(...yep...Eisenhower)

#8 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,522 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:48 AM

What tickkles me in all this are the presumptuous assumptions  (wasn't that the name of some Catholic church?)  y'all make about the cause of raspy voices.  But in MY experience.......

I know quite a few people with raspy voices who don't and NEVER smoke, or drink.  Not saying mind you, that the two combined CAN'T be a cause, but then again, not in ALL cases.

GEORGE HARRISON, who died of throat cancer WAS a long time smoker but his voice never got raspy.

But singer KIM CARNES, who I believe is a NON smoker, has a raspy voice.

I never heard the Gable/Jannsen legend, and never thought the two sounded alike.  But on a talk show once, Jannsen jokingly credited his voice to "Scotch training".  

Singer BOB SEGER also has a raspy voice, and ever since he started his music career.  And sure, at the time he WAS a smoker, but he was only 21 and likely not smoking long enough to have it affect his voice.

But also I never considered it before, but I have no trouble jumping on the Gable/Robertson sound-alike train.

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#9 TomJH

TomJH

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,690 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:07 AM

The voice I always thought of as close to Gable's was Dale Robertson's.

I do a Rhett Butler impersonation which has gained a few laughs over the years but I could easily substitute that same voice for Robertson's, except where am I going to find anyone who knows Dale Robertson (outside of a Tales of Wells Fargo or Iron Horse convention)?

By the way, Gable and Robertson were both born in states beginning with the letter "O." Something else they had in common that no one ever discusses. (It's fascinating tidbits like this that make my postings so engrossing).

• Dargo likes this

#10 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:04 AM

And re the whole Gable/Jannsen thing...

Does anyone remember that so-so biopic from 1976, GABLE AND LOMBARD, ? 

As I recall, before James Brolin was cast in the role, both Jannsen's and Burt Reynold's names were mentioned as possibles, but supposedly both turned down the role.

And as a side note, I once recall Burt Reynold doing a pretty good Gable impression while telling Johnny Carson on the old Tonight Show about how early in his career he messed up a chance to be cast opposite Gable in the 1959 comedy BUT NOT FOR ME. Reynold's very entertaining story ended with the comment, "And ya know who got that role? The guy who we now know as 'Mr. Goodwrench' on all those TV commercials!"

(...that would little remembered actor Barry Coe, btw)

#11 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,710 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:37 PM

Speaking of heavy smoking and the effects it has on an actor's voice, or anyone's for that matter, Mr.G.

Remember hearing the beautiful Suzanne Pleshette's voice in her later years? It would become just as you described such a thing in your previous posting.

(...and ironically, it was she who would deliver her close friend David Jannsen's eulogy during his funeral)

• Mr. Gorman likes this

#12 Mr. Gorman

Mr. Gorman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • Locationstate of GA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

I've heard that 'urban legend' before, Nipkow, and I don't believe it.  David Janssen's ears are large like Clark Gable's but they are not shaped alike at all.  When I've heard that 'urban legend' referenced it's always been because both men had large ears.  As if no other actors had large ears . . . yet their ears look completely different.  Look at pictures of both men.           

As for their voices, both Janssen and Gable were long-time smokers (drinkers, too) and over time cigs are known to deepen the voices of heavy smokers and will usually make one's voice scratchy-sounding.  I would never mistake Janssen's voice for Gable or vice versa.  (I would, however, mistake Joel McCrea's voice for Rex Allen's like I did the other night when the Disney films were airing). 

Want to hear some deep voices while still fairly young due to heavy smoking and drinking?  Great! 

Listen to Richard Boone (June 18, 1917 - January 10, 1981) in HOMBRE (1967). 

Listen to Redd Foxx (Dec. 9, 1922 - Oct. 11, 1991) in "Sanford & Son" (1972-77).

→ Boone was 49 when 'Hombre' was filmed and Foxx had just turned 49 when "Sanford & Son" premiered in January 1972 so neither were old at all but both *were* heavy smokers and drinkers and sounded older.  I mention this because David Janssen only lived to be 48 and his voice was getting hoarsey as he aged from the cigs and booze.       

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO, if anyone reading wants to listen to HEAVY breathing due to cigarettes go to YouTube and watch the Allen Stewart interview of 65-year-old Redd Foxx in a New Orleans nightclub in early 1988.  It's only a 5-minute interview.  Redd talks about why he's on tour (to find the best black comic in America) and then his new record label and the various artists who were supposed to be recorded on it.  Someone duly noted in the 'Comment' section under the clip "He be breathing like an angry gorilla!".  Amazing Redd even lived to see age 68 from all the cigarettes, marijuana, cocaine, booze and his eating habits.  He'd talk about 'soul food' in his nightclub act. 

• Dargo likes this

#13 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,971 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

I think about this from time to time. that David Jannsen was Clark Gable's illegitimate son.

I find it intriguing because running their voices over in my mind, there does seem to me to be some tonal similarities in their voices.

whatta you all think? :)

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users