We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

100 years since the Abdication of Nicholas II

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,000 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

Yes, I just read it in a magazine. Despite the deeply

obsequious tone of the letter that Friedrich wrote, he was

not allowed to stay in Bavaria, so it was back to the U.S. 

Germany's loss was our loss.

LOL.

#2 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,000 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

I understand very well that Nicholas had some close relatives in England-- the Royal Family. They didn't lift a finger to help him, so I guess some relatives are just that way.

When the French people executed Marie-Antoinette her mother, Maria Theresa, the Empress of Austria organized most of Europe to attack France.

But Napoleon took care of all that. There are always people like Napoleon who take advantage of revolutionary situations. In Russia it was Lenin.

Once a Revolution starts, no one has any control over it and no one knows what the ending will be.

That's the nature of the Beast.

Maria Theresa was long dead when Marie Antoinette was executed. It was Marie's brother. (I forget which one, there were two or three that ruled during Marie's short lifetime, doing little to help her).

Nicholas and George (V?) were cousins. They looked so much alike, they could've been brothers! George was afraid that public opinion would be very much against offering the royal family asylum and decided against it. From what I've read he was haunted by that the rest of his life after the entire family were murdered...

#3 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:49 PM

I hope you read that somewhere recently or just looked it up, and that this knowledge was not taking up space in your brain.

Yes, I just read it in a magazine. Despite the deeply

obsequious tone of the letter that Friedrich wrote, he was

not allowed to stay in Bavaria, so it was back to the U.S. 

Germany's loss was our loss.

• LawrenceA likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#4 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,908 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

This thread just reminded me of "The Battleship Potemkin" (1925) TCM recently aired.  It is set in 1905 during the first Russian Revolution.

The Odessa Steps scene

312b7yd.jpg

Vintage_Potemkin.jpg

#5 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:22 PM

Replacing one tyranny with another, hate to rain on anyone's parade.

Hmmm....where have I heard THAT before?  Oh, YEAH!

"Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss".   ;)

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hammer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,985 posts
  • LocationBreathin' Down Your Neck!

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:55 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish. He abdicated in favor of the

next relative in line, who wisely said Thanks, but no thanks. 

Trump's granddad, Friedrich, did write the prince regent of

Bavaria in 1905 asking to be allowed to stay there because

he had failed to complete his military service and register

his first immigration to the U.S. many years before. He was

turned down and left again for America.

I hope you read that somewhere recently or just looked it up, and that this knowledge was not taking up space in your brain.

#7 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,107 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:07 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish. He abdicated in favor of the

next relative in line, who wisely said Thanks, but no thanks. 

Trump's granddad, Friedrich, did write the prince regent of

Bavaria in 1905 asking to be allowed to stay there because

he had failed to complete his military service and register

his first immigration to the U.S. many years before. He was

turned down and left again for America.

• Princess of Tap likes this

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#8 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

First rule of dictatorship...eliminate your future enemies.

Quick-- somebody needs to check and see if Ted Cruz's children got safely out of the White House after that dinner the other night.

Trump may have held them there to question them about their grandfather's alleged implication in the assassination of President Kennedy.

Or, at least that's what he said he might hold them for. LOL

#9 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,908 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:00 PM

Whatever his faults, Nicholas did not deserve execution... and his son and daughters definitely didn't.

First rule of dictatorship...eliminate your future enemies.

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:55 AM

This week marks the 100th anniversary of the abdication of Nicholas II Romanov, Czar and Autocrat of All the Russias, in the face of what is called either the First or the February Russian Revolution. (It was in February on the old Julian calendar but in March on the new Gregorian calendar.) Far from being the "bloody Nicholas" of Bolshevik propaganda, Nicholas was a mild-mannered and ineffectual ruler, well-intentioned but easily dominated by his (German) wife and a camarilla of reactionary ministers. In the 20 years before 1914, Russia had made enormous economic and social progress, but blundering into war with Germany and Austria was a terrible mistake. His feeble and corrupt government was unable either to fight the war effectively or to get out of it, and after three years of defeats, huge casualties and privation, the Russian people had had enough. In the face of riots and mutinies, the regime collapsed without resistance, and Nicholas abdicated without complaint. But the liberal republic which then took office was also unable to escape from the war, and this gave the Bolsheviks their chance to stage the coup now called the Second or October Revolution, despite having virtually no support in the country outside Petrograd. Nicholas and his family were murdered by the Bolsheviks in 1918.

I understand very well that Nicholas had some close relatives in England-- the Royal Family. They didn't lift a finger to help him, so I guess some relatives are just that way.

When the French people executed Marie-Antoinette her mother, Maria Theresa, the Empress of Austria organized most of Europe to attack France.

But Napoleon took care of all that. There are always people like Napoleon who take advantage of revolutionary situations. In Russia it was Lenin.

Once a Revolution starts, no one has any control over it and no one knows what the ending will be.

That's the nature of the Beast.

#11 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,579 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

This week marks the 100th anniversary of the abdication of Nicholas II Romanov, Czar and Autocrat of All the Russias, in the face of what is called either the First or the February Russian Revolution. (It was in February on the old Julian calendar but in March on the new Gregorian calendar.) Far from being the "bloody Nicholas" of Bolshevik propaganda, Nicholas was a mild-mannered and ineffectual ruler, well-intentioned but easily dominated by his (German) wife and a camarilla of reactionary ministers. In the 20 years before 1914, Russia had made enormous economic and social progress, but blundering into war with Germany and Austria was a terrible mistake. His feeble and corrupt government was unable either to fight the war effectively or to get out of it, and after three years of defeats, huge casualties and privation, the Russian people had had enough. In the face of riots and mutinies, the regime collapsed without resistance, and Nicholas abdicated without complaint. But the liberal republic which then took office was also unable to escape from the war, and this gave the Bolsheviks their chance to stage the coup now called the Second or October Revolution, despite having virtually no support in the country outside Petrograd. Nicholas and his family were murdered by the Bolsheviks in 1918.

You left out that Trump's great grandfather talked to the Russian ambassador according to a leaked FBI memo in 1917. He knew someday it would come in handy to help elect a grandson.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#12 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI were a nice couple too. I'm sure all the starving French peasants thought so as well.

The other thing is Fiddler On The Roof is a very good musical. Have you seen it?

But I love music so much I shouldn't complain. We'd had fewer Great American pop music composers, if not for the pogroms in Russia. Irving Berlin,George Gershwin's family-- they all came over here to escape from the anti-Semitic terrorism of the Tsarist state. So I guess there's always some good that comes out of evil. When Irving Berlin wrote "God Bless America", I just can imagine what he was thinking of.

#13 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,425 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:40 AM

Whatever his faults, Nicholas did not deserve execution... and his son and daughters definitely didn't.

if you got some free time I suggest you see a musical called Fiddler on the Roof. it has some history in it that you need to check out.

#14 Susan Hopkins

Susan Hopkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:34 AM

#15 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,908 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

Replacing one tyranny with another, hate to rain on anyone's parade.

8c7d0cc058dc60d83ff1187983bffb7b7f3c3bc7

#16 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,771 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:09 AM

So, what time is the PARTY?  ;)

And it's a lucky thing the revolution came about.  Otherwise, we may have never been treated to DOCTOR ZHIVAGO.  :blink:

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#17 Susan Hopkins

Susan Hopkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:20 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users