We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Pursuit of Happiness: Just Empty Brainwash Rhetoric for Americans?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,274 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:27 PM

Yes, everyone is miserable here in the U.S. That's why so many keep sneaking in to live here.

Sure - from the third world.

Nobody ever claimed that the land of the stupid doesn't have some attraction for the most wretched people on the planet. 

I may live badly but at least I don't have to work to do it.

#2 MovieMadness

MovieMadness

Bogie Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • LocationHigh Sierra

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Yes, everyone is miserable here in the U.S. That's why so many keep sneaking in to live here.

Things are never so bad they can't be made worse.

#3 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,274 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:50 AM

We were only promised the pursuit of happiness.  And anyone or thing that could stand in the way of achieving it were also given "free rein" to do so.

I guess that's a vote for "empty".

Doesn't really sound like a promise at all. Sounds like bull****.

Those "founding father" holes did a lot of that.

#4 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,255 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:50 AM

A cold climate also seems to correlate with happiness: The top seven countries all are in northern locations: Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands and Canada, according to the ranking in the fifth annual World Happiness Report. 

Explains why he's so jolly. :P

6823851-choosing-xmas-letter.jpg

• TikiSoo and Sepiatone like this

#5 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,495 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

We were only promised the pursuit of happiness.  And anyone or thing that could stand in the way of achieving it were also given "free rein" to do so.

That promise was made in a preamble to a document aimed at declaring a seperation from BRITISH TYRANNY.  WE prefer OUR tyranny to be "homegrown".  :wacko:   :D

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#6 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,274 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:08 AM

The Scandinavian nation of Norway, known for its spectacular fjords, reindeer and "Midnight Sun," ranks No. 1 among 155 countries rated for happiness in a United Nations report out Monday.

It helps that Norway, which moved up from fourth place last year to dethrone Denmark, has oil wealth. That boosted the per person annual income, as measured by economic output, to more than $100,000 — nearly double that of the United States. It also helps that it has a low unemployment rate slightly below the U.S. (4.7%) and low income inequality — the gap between the richest and poor citizens is one-third as large as that in the U.S.

A cold climate also seems to correlate with happiness: The top seven countries all are in northern locations: Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands and Canada, according to the ranking in the fifth annual World Happiness Report. 

"By choosing to produce oil deliberately and investing the proceeds for the benefit of future generations, Norway has protected itself from the volatile ups and downs of many other oil-rich economies," said John Helliwell, one of the authors of the report. 

Countries that achieved positive results have "high levels of mutual trust, shared purpose, generosity and good governance," said Helliwell, a professor at the University of British Columbia. "All of these are found in Norway, as well as in the other top countries." 

Happiness in the United States appears to be declining. Rattled by a slow economic recovery and deeply partisan political landscape, the U.S. dropped down one spot from last year to the 14th happiest in the world. Decreased social support and increased corruption are two of the main causes, according to the report.

Americans, however, are happier than European counterparts Germany (16th), the United Kingdom (19th) and France (31st). This is probably understandable considering how much those European nations have been inundated with Muslim immigration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users