We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Robert Osborne's Black Book

Osborne

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,732 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:59 AM

I hope they will be able to publish in some form the "black" book Robert kept.  If any information would be harmful to those still alive I'm sure it wouldn't be printed.  Ethel Merman kept one about her career.  I've heard it contained some racy material about the people she performed with.  It is being kept from publication because her son feels it would hurt those still living.

WHO could till be living??? I thought Ethel only had a daughter?

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

Robert Osborne's movie book, which was started at an early age, should be put up for auction.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:09 PM

I hope they will be able to publish in some form the "black" book Robert kept.  If any information would be harmful to those still alive I'm sure it wouldn't be printed.  Ethel Merman kept one about her career.  I've heard it contained some racy material about the people she performed with.  It is being kept from publication because her son feels it would hurt those still living.

At least her son has a soul.

#4 im4cinema2

im4cinema2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

• rayban likes this

#5 yanceycravat

yanceycravat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

The word you are typing is also considered a racial slur, and so it gets auto-censored.

So much for discussing Clark Gable's character in SAN FRANCISCO!

Yancey

#6 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:47 PM

The title of this thread has been edited to reflect the topic of discussion. 

Good move, Moderator!

(...and besides, it's always hard to follow a great comic like Carlin, isn't it!) ;)

LOL

#7 TCMModerator1

TCMModerator1

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

The title of this thread has been edited to reflect the topic of discussion. 

• mkd3702 likes this

#8 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,825 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

Yes, this word and how it's always been censored has always reminded me of one part of George Carlin's classic comedy routine, The Seven Words You Can't Say on Television.

(...and that being: "And THEN there are SOME words which only SOMETIMES can not be said on television, and depending upon if they're used as a verb or a noun, and such as you CAN say 'prick your finger', but CAN'T say 'finger your prick' ")

#9 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,315 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:03 PM

And all this time I though the term referred to a detective.      :blink:

Poor Boston Blaquie.

• lydecker and mkd3702 like this

#10 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,297 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

The word you are typing is also considered a racial slur, and so it gets auto-censored.

And all this time I though the term referred to a detective.      :blink:

• rayban likes this

#11 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,315 posts
  • LocationThereabouts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:50 PM

I don't know what is happening ... I typed in the name of the notebook in the subject line and the body of the post and I've tried editing it 3 times.  It changes it to **** every time.  

• mkd3702 likes this

#12 mkd3702

mkd3702

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:20 PM

I don't know what is happening ... I typed in the name of the notebook in the subject line and the body of the post and I've tried editing it 3 times.  It changes it to **** every time.  

#13 Fedya

Fedya

Crotchety blankety-blank

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:13 PM

When I saw the thread title, I was wondering whether somebody was giving Osborne a four-star review, or whether it was a "naughty" word.

TCM Message Boards: Uncut-and commercial-free.

(And I get the heebie-jeebies thinking of Dargo's posts panned-and-scanned.)
  • film lover 293 likes this

#14 BingFan

BingFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

Didn't Bob refer to the notebook as "B*L*A*C*K*I*E*" (a reference to the color of its cover) in the Private Screenings interview with Alec Baldwin?  (Without the asterisks, of course.)

Anyway, I wonder if Bob left the notebook to the Academy library or some other institution, where his long hours of research would be accessible to and benefit other film researchers.

• rayban and mkd3702 like this

#15 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,266 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:20 PM

Hi All - 

Has anyone heard what happened to "****", Robert Osborne's precious notebook with the lifelong collection of information about the movies and stars?  It's such a treasure I hope that it will be maintained as a historic document.

..even though it apparently has a risqué name.

#16 mkd3702

mkd3702

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:19 PM

Hi All - 

Has anyone heard what happened to ****, Robert Osborne's precious notebook with the lifelong collection of information about the movies and stars?  It's such a treasure I hope that it will be maintained as a historic document.

• rayban likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Osborne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users