We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Victor Buono

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

His facial reactions to Baby Jane Hudson are priceless.

Especially when she is singing "I've Written A Letter To Daddy".

(It's also interesting that in the TV re-make with the Redgraves, the character was also played by a gay man, John Glover.)

470659000-victor-buono-and-bette-davis.j

• Princess of Tap and jaragon like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

In the film, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane", Victor Buono's character seemed to be definitely a gay man.

I first saw Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? when I was in elementary school. As young as I was, I had the impression that he was quite gay. it was also clear to me that he was in it for the money.

Decades later his performance stood out in my memory--like the first time I had seen Robert Duvall in To Kill a Mockingbird, when I was a kid.

Those kind of debut performances come along once in a lifetime.
  • rayban likes this

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:28 AM

In the film, "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane", Victor Buono's character seemed to be definitely a gay man.

Since Baby Jane was such a repulsive women it was difficult to tell how the Buono's character felt about her sexually.   If she had been a attractive older women that a young man clearly isn't interested in,  that would have sent a stronger vibe with regards to his orientation.    Of course he was a mommy's boy but that doesn't mean,  per se, that he was gay.     

• jaragon and rayban like this

#4 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:21 AM

Ok now there is some gay subtext!   :lol:

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#5 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:45 PM

As Victor Buono was going down on the young hustler, who wanted to get into the movie business, he told the young actor that he had "loads of talent".

Ok now there is some gay subtext!   :lol:

• jaragon and rayban like this

#6 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:44 PM

It was a good scene in more ways than one ;)

As Victor Buono was going down on the young hustler, who wanted to get into the movie business, he told the young actor that he had "loads of talent".

#7 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:40 PM

His sex scene was quite unexpected.

It was a good scene in more ways than one ;)

• rayban likes this

#8 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,448 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

I saw Victor Buono in a classic TV re-run of the original "Perry Mason" series.

As soon as Raymond Burr saw him, he had such a hateful reaction - not as Perry Mason, but as Raymond Burr - that that reaction threw you right out of the episode in that moment.

Perhaps Victor Buono was just too fat for Raymond Burr.

Raymond Burr struggled with his weight throughout his career.

If you're talking about the one where Buono is part of a group of actors,  I saw that a few times but I don't recall the initial Burr reaction to Buono.

Hey, wait,  I might be confusing Buono with Dan Seymour.   I just checked Wiki and Seymour was on Mason 7 times. 

I also had to check and see that it was Seymour who was in the Bogart \ Bacall film Key Largo and NOT Buono.

• rayban likes this

#9 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

I saw Victor Buono in a classic TV re-run of the original "Perry Mason" series.

As soon as Raymond Burr saw him, he had such a hateful reaction - not as Perry Mason, but as Raymond Burr - that that reaction threw you right out of the episode in that moment.

Perhaps Victor Buono was just too fat for Raymond Burr.

Raymond Burr struggled with his weight throughout his career.

#10 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:41 AM

I've been watching "Feud" the somewhat campy series about the making of " Whatever Happen to Baby Jane".

Victor Buono is of course featured as one of the characters. I had no idea that in real life Buono was gay

His sex scene was quite unexpected.

• jaragon likes this

#11 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:02 PM

I've been watching "Feud" the somewhat campy series about the making of " Whatever Happen to Baby Jane".

Victor Buono is of course featured as one of the characters. I had no idea that in real life Buono was gay

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users