We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Petrified Forest (1930s)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted Today, 06:43 PM

PS:  The interaction between the two black men is also very telling and interesting as it relates to the times.  

I love the interaction between those two!

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,262 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Today, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the information in your second paragraph! As for the classification of this film, it's probably a gangster-drama-romance film. By the way, I like both Bette Davis and Leslie Howard. As for Bogart, he's probably one of my favorite actors.

Bogart is my 3rd favorite actor (Grant being 2nd).    Bogie was a little stiff in The Petrified Forest but how he held his arms in some scenes in the film was modeled after Dillinger.    Still it looks odd to me.     There are so many great scenes in this film but two that stand out are the roof top one with Howard and Davis.    That dialog fits every decades but especially the hippie era as it relates to mankind trying to control nature but nature will always 'win'.

The other scene is where Bogart and Howard discuss women and how much each is a snap for a gal.    While the two men come from very different places in life,  when it comes to women,,,  well,   they were so much like the rest of us!

PS:  The interaction between the two black men is also very telling and interesting as it relates to the times.  

#3 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:52 PM

The Petrified Forest is my favorite film.   Fantastic dialog with wonderful performances by my two favorite actors,  Leslie Howard and Bette Davis.   But I don't view the film as a gangster film.   The gangster angle is only one part of the plot which resolves around the disillusion of two men; one an intellectual and the other a criminal.   

Bogart owns his career to Howard, who wouldn't do the film unless Bogart was given the same role he played on Broadway.    Bogart and Bacall named their child Leslie because they understood how important that was.

Thanks for the information in your second paragraph! As for the classification of this film, it's probably a gangster-drama-romance film. By the way, I like both Bette Davis and Leslie Howard. As for Bogart, he's probably one of my favorite actors.

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,262 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Anyone else a fan of the 1930s gangster film The Petrified Forest? I've seen this film probably about 10 times or so.

The Petrified Forest is my favorite film.   Fantastic dialog with wonderful performances by my two favorite actors,  Leslie Howard and Bette Davis.   But I don't view the film as a gangster film.   The gangster angle is only one part of the plot which resolves around the disillusion of two men; one an intellectual and the other a criminal.   

Bogart owns his career to Howard, who wouldn't do the film unless Bogart was given the same role he played on Broadway.    Bogart and Bacall named their child Leslie because they understood how important that was.

• TopBilled likes this

#5 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

Anyone else a fan of the 1930s gangster film The Petrified Forest? I've seen this film probably about 10 times or so.

• LiamCasey likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users