We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

How to Marry a Millionaire (1953)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

This, along with GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, are a great introduction for kids to Marilyn Monroe, and even "classic" movies. So many kids wear MM images on t-shirts, but have zero idea who she was! I've shown these movies to teens who absolutely love the story & "look" of the sets & charactors.

She was also great in a small part in The Asphalt Jungle.

I have never seen her image on any T-shirt!

#2 TikiSoo

TikiSoo

sprockethole

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:47 AM

This, along with GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, are a great introduction for kids to Marilyn Monroe, and even "classic" movies. So many kids wear MM images on t-shirts, but have zero idea who she was! I've shown these movies to teens who absolutely love the story & "look" of the sets & charactors.

I like how this movie illustrates different types of women, not all women of the time period were shrinking violets like many would have you believe. But they all had to "play the game"

These fun, easy going stories appeal to teens and even opens an opportunity to discuss social mores of earlier generations uh, history.

For those smitten with MM, I often show SOME LIKE IT HOT next to introduce them to Billy Wilder, then switch gears with NIAGARA, since kids enjoy suspense.

#3 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

I'm surprised that Lauren Bacall's character didn't catch on sooner that the "gas pump jockey" was a rich guy. How else would he have been able to get a special showing of the clothes which the ladies were modeling? To do this, he had to have some money/status in society.

#4 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

It's barely written and yet it's quite entertaining - I attribute that success to its' director, Jean Negulesco.

I'm not sure whether barely written is meant as underwritten or sparely written (or something else), but I think Nunnally Johnson's script is part of the film's success. Johnson was one of the top go-to script doctors of the day when storyline and dialogue needed punching up. The dialogue in "Millionaire" seems to me to be deftly tailored to each of the three leads, particularly in the case of Lauren Bacall's acid wit. I still use her line when she dismisses the repo guy who says he wishes he could give her more for the furniture (while presumably lowballing her): "I already laughed at that one today." It was generally acknowledged that the movie was to mark Betty Grable's passing the baton to Marilyn and the fact that it was achieved so gracefully and that both of these ladies were celebrated in their own unique way is as much attributable to Nunnally Johnson as to Jean Negulesco. Love this film. It's been a sure-fire way to improve any bad mood I've ever been in.

• johnm001 and rayban like this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:53 AM

I've seen this film many times. It's a fun romantic comedy about three women who are determined to marry rich men, and they come up with a plot to meet these rich men. Great cast, too!

It's barely written and yet it's quite entertaining - I attribute that success to its' director, Jean Negulesco.

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 03:51 AM

I've seen this film many times. It's a fun romantic comedy about three women who are determined to marry rich men, and they come up with a plot to meet these rich men. Great cast, too!

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users