We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Pieces" (1982)

Hysterical Horror

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

I like the homages to other horror films: Edmund Purdom making a jigsaw puzzle out of the body parts, hearkens to Fuad Ramses in Blood Feast; and of course the sudden crotch grab at the end reminds one of the hand out of the grave at the end of Carrie.

Christopher and Lynda Day George would be reunited for their next film, Mortuary, which sadly was to be Christopher's last.

The film reminds me of classic giallo- specially the murder of the reporter on the water bed which is truly shocking.  The excellent two disc blu ray edition includes the superior original score and the Spanish language track which makes the film a bit less funny-also there is an extended interview with the director who explains how the rather low budget but effective gore scenes were created.

#2 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,648 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:28 PM

J Piquer Simon's infamous gore fest "Pieces" is about a chainsaw wielding homicidal maniac who likes to collect his female victims body parts.  If it was played straight it might be hard to watch but the "unintentional" humor makes it a lot of fun if you can stomach the often realistic gore.  My favorite moments: dean Edmund Purdon explaining a girls beheading by chainsaw as just an unfortunate accident.   The way the victims never seem to notice the CHAINSAW wielding killer.  Linda Day's priceless over reaction to a murder "The Bastard!!!!" 

I like the homages to other horror films: Edmund Purdom making a jigsaw puzzle out of the body parts, hearkens to Fuad Ramses in Blood Feast; and of course the sudden crotch grab at the end reminds one of the hand out of the grave at the end of Carrie.

Christopher and Lynda Day George would be reunited for their next film, Mortuary, which sadly was to be Christopher's last.

• jaragon likes this

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

J Piquer Simon's infamous gore fest "Pieces" is about a chainsaw wielding homicidal maniac who likes to collect his female victims body parts.  If it was played straight it might be hard to watch but the "unintentional" humor makes it a lot of fun if you can stomach the often realistic gore.  My favorite moments: dean Edmund Purdon explaining a girls beheading by chainsaw as just an unfortunate accident.   The way the victims never seem to notice the CHAINSAW wielding killer.  Linda Day's priceless over reaction to a murder "The Bastard!!!!" 

• LawrenceA likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users