We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

SPLITTING CALIFORNIA IN TWO

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#121 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

Survival Rules for Pro-Trump Californians Living Behind the Blue Curtain

But the obstacles facing California’s Trump supporters, conservatives, or just anyone opposed to the Democratic agenda are no joke. While the rest of the nation can look forward to the rollback of all the excesses and abuses of the Obama years, California’s one-party machine is doubling down on all those disastrous policies, including continued harboring and supporting of illegal immigration, out-of-control environmental regulations, and more onerous tax increases.

But know this: There are a lot of us out here in the once glorious Golden State. It’s just that most of us are hiding in plain sight.

BREITBART >> http://www.breitbart...lue-california/

giphy.gif

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#122 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,084 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:56 AM

I remember how when I watched the Waltons, I had to remind myself they were supposedly in western Virginia and not West Virginia.

Eastern West Virginia - the land Robert Byrd built?

Seems I heard something like this before......

"...Then I want Eastern portion of his WESTERN sandwich!"  (The First Family--"Economy Lunch"  1962)  :P

Sepiatone

• TheCid likes this

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#123 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

cat-lady-state-ben-garrison_1_orig.jpg

LMREO, Nine Lives Matters. :lol: 

70540990.jpg

Protest can tun into a furball at anytime. :P

6384584321_f1c900e524.jpg

#124 JakeHolman

JakeHolman

Borders, Language, Culture & Christian Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,689 posts
  • LocationGod's Country.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:24 AM

cat-lady-state-ben-garrison_1_orig.jpg

Then the Lord descended in the Cloud and stood at the entrance of the Tabernacle. Numbers 12:5

Figure a man's only good for one oath at a time; I took mine to the Confederate States of America. The Searchers --
John Wayne

This most beautiful system of the sun, planets and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being. Isaac Newton  

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:2

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under. President Ronald Reagan

In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.  Gen. Robert E. Lee

Movies are written in sand: applauded today, forgotten tomorrow. D.W Griffith

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth. Steve McQueen

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Perfect freedom has no existence. The grown man knows the world he lives in, and for the present, the world is Rome. Ben Hur

#125 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:41 PM

Robert Byrd is highly respected in West Virginia, which came first for him in Washington.

A lot named in his honor.

Byrd is WV equivalent of Strom Thurmond in SC.  Also Rep. Mendell Rivers of Charleston, S.C. in the House.  One person quipped during Rivers' tenure that if he put one more federal facility in Charleston, it would sink.

Between Thurmond and Rivers, tremendous number of federal facilities built in S.C., most of them military.  Military facilities have some of the highest financial impact on an area.  Not only is there the pay and benefits of the military personnel and civilian employees, there are also the many lucarative contracts, off post housing and entertainment, shopping, etc.

At one time, Charleston had two Navy bases, one Army facility, a Coast Guard Base and an Air Force Base that I know about.  The Marines were down the coast in Beaufort.  There were two other Air Force Bases and a major Army Base elsewhere in the state.  Not to mention one of the largest per capita National Guards and Reserve Components in the nation.

#126 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:22 PM

Robert Byrd is highly respected in West Virginia, which came first for him in Washington.

higher-University-of-Charleston-1024x654

Trivia, the RCB Telescope was the FIRST to receive the feeble signal from the Huygen's probe directly confirming it landed on Saturn's moon Titan.

gbt.jpg

He was very concerned about the unraveling of our liberties started by the Bush administration after 9/11.

517G2W4GA8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I thought you meant that there was a Robert A. Byrd Vacant Lot.

#127 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

I remember how when I watched the Waltons, I had to remind myself they were supposedly in western Virginia and not West Virginia.

higher-University-of-Charleston-1024x654

Trivia, the RCB Telescope was the FIRST to receive the feeble signal from the Huygen's probe directly confirming it landed on Saturn's moon Titan.

gbt.jpg

He was very concerned about the unraveling of our liberties started by the Bush administration after 9/11.

517G2W4GA8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

#128 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

I won't be specific, only it's in the eastern part of West Virginia.

#129 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:25 PM

There were great clubs in the South of Market area, circa 1990.

The last time we were there(for her gay niece's wedding about 12 years ago) my wife and I walked around the Tenderloin area one night and found a classic old style piano bar. We had a great time singing along with the piano player and the rest of the crowd there.

(...and yes, he played that Billy Joel song twice while we were there...a fun and memorable night it was) 

#130 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:16 PM

Before relocating to L.A. with the airlines and before I met her, my wife(who was born in your neck of woods back there, but at 5 years of age moved to San Diego) worked in Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco for about 5 years.

She loves Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco, and every time we go there, which isn't often, I can see why.

(...btw, just considering the climate, you Philly boy you would've fit right into the place...ever heard Mark Twain's famous line about the place: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco", ?)

There were great clubs in the South of Market area, circa 1990.

#131 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:15 PM

I wanted to move there at one point, but it never worked out.

Before relocating to L.A. with the airlines and before I met her, my wife(who was born in your neck of woods back there, but at 5 years of age moved to San Diego) worked in Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco for about 5 years.

She loves Frisco, ahem, I mean San Francisco, and every time we go there, which isn't often, I can see why.

(...btw, just considering the climate, you Philly boy you would've fit right into the place...ever heard Mark Twain's famous line about the place: "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco", ?)

#132 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 03:02 PM

Well, ya know DGF, it's been said that if you happen to be a straight male, Frisco is a place to live because your competition in the dating arena is stacked in your favor!

(...yeah, that's right...this ol' native Angeleno here still occasionally calls that beautiful city, perhaps THE most beautiful city in these United States, "Frisco", and JUST to get a rise out of some of those pretentious San Franciscans with their upturned noses in their damp SF air...'cause they HATE when ya call their city that now days, ya know!) ;)

I wanted to move there at one point, but it never worked out.

#133 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

There's always been a great rivalry between LA and SF. Nothing exhibits this more than this......I was in SF once, when two great looking females walked by a hotel entrance. I overheard one hotel employee say to another, "Who says we don't have the women?"

Well, ya know DGF, it's been said that if you happen to be a straight male, Frisco is a place to live because your competition in the dating arena is stacked in your favor!

(...yeah, that's right...this ol' native Angeleno here still occasionally calls that beautiful city, perhaps THE most beautiful city in these United States, "Frisco", and JUST to get a rise out of some of those pretentious San Franciscans with their upturned noses in their damp SF air...'cause they HATE when ya call their city that now days, ya know!) ;)

#134 DownGoesFrazier

DownGoesFrazier

Advanced Spinner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57,510 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

So, kind'a like if they break up my old stompin' grounds, I could then say I used to live in the western part of South California, eh ham?!

(...OR, if Jake's theory eventually comes true, I'd then say I used to live in the southern part of Coastal California, right?!)

;)

There's always been a great rivalry between LA and SF. Nothing exhibits this more than this......I was in SF once, when two great looking females walked by a hotel entrance. I overheard one hotel employee say to another, "Who says we don't have the women?"

#135 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

So, kind'a like if they break up my old stompin' grounds, I could then say I used to live in the western part of South California, eh ham?!

(...OR, if Jake's theory eventually comes true, I'd then say I used to live in the southern part of Coastal California, right?!)

;)

#136 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

If I remember correctly, it's in the northern part of West Virginia.

• LawrenceA likes this

#137 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,692 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:16 PM

Which is where?

If I remember correctly, it's in the northern part of West Virginia.

#138 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,723 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:35 PM

I wouldn't trade where I live for anything.  

Which is where?

#139 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,053 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:29 PM

I bet you have to put up with the constant head explosions from the electric bills.  

Actually in my case ham, the answer would be "no", and even though that map shows the state of Arizona's electricity rates higher than the national norm.

Ya see, first, I don't have a whole lot o' those electronic gadgets to run like you do. My interests when it comes to "things" and as I'm sure you know by now, are in cars and motorcycles, and THEY run on gasoline of course.

And secondly, and unlike those poor souls who live down in that concrete urban sprawl of Phoenix and where they must run their air conditioning units 24/7 during the summer months because even in the dead of night it seldom gets below 80 freakin' degrees, we UP HERE in the higher elevation of beautiful picturesque Sedona ONLY have run those suckers during the daylight hours and because after the suns sets it'll almost always drops to a very pleasant 65-70 degrees during that time of year, and thus we just open our windows and allow the outside ambient temperature into the house while we watch evening television shows and later hit the ol' sack.

And so, no, MY electrical bills would not be accurately reflected in that map o' yours.

(...oh, and one more thing here dude...I also don't have to put up with all that damn humid weather you poor souls who live east of the Rocky Mountains have to put up with during this same time o' year...yep, life is good here in beautiful picturesque Sedona Arizona alright!)

#140 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

Hmmm...I think the only thing you forgot to mention here ham is all the cheap and convenient electricity you have at your disposal for all those electronic gadgets you have, TOO!

;)

Can thank coal and gas for it. :)

I bet you have to put up with the constant head explosions from the electric bills.  

Might explain why Alaska is warmer...heat from red hot tempers.

:oei_electricityratesmap4.5.16.jpg?itok=DD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users