We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Favorite Charlie Chan films

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:57 AM

Two of the later films are based on the novels:

1. Charlie Chan's Murder Cruise (based on Charlie Chan Carries On)

2. Charlie Chan in Rio (based on The Black Camel)

Both are good films, but not as good as earlier versions of the stories (Eran Trece, The Black Camel).

If only the lost film Charlie Chan Carries On would turn up somewhere! In the meantime, at least the Spanish language film (Eran Trece) still exists.

#2 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 07:18 PM

Two other faves to add to my list:

Charlie Chan in Paris

Charlie Chan in Shanghai

These two were very well done, and well paced!

#3 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:06 PM

Recently I watched Charlie Chan at the Opera. I was quite moved by this story (I am, each time I watch this). I adore Boris Karloff.

Also, I have never been able to get through Charlie Chan at the Circus. This time around was no exception.

#4 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:02 AM

I plan on watching the entire series these next couple of weeks. If I have any very specific thoughts about any of the films, I'll post them here. 

It's been about 3 years since I've seen most of the films. High time I saw them again!

#5 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 02:19 AM

Recently I watched Charlie Chan in London (first time in several years), and I really enjoyed it. Nice, old-fashioned mystery set in London. Made me think of Agatha Christie mysteries from that time period. If only more of the Agatha Christie mysteries had been filmed in the thirties, shortly after the novels were published!

#6 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:20 PM

I pretty much love them all too. One of my favorite scenes, I think it CC in Paris, #1 son says, "Gee, Pop, I sure miss the radio." I don't know why that has struck me as being so funny, but it cracks me up every time.

Charlie Chan had a great and funny relationship with his sons, and also with that sidekick of his (forget the name now).

#7 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:26 PM

I pretty much love them all too. One of my favorite scenes, I think it CC in Paris, #1 son says, "Gee, Pop, I sure miss the radio." I don't know why that has struck me as being so funny, but it cracks me up every time.

#8 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:32 PM

Warner Oland - CHARLIE CHAN AT THE OPERA

Sidney Toler - CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

The best combination for me would have been Oland in Charlie Chan at Treasure Island

• shutoo likes this

#9 papyrusbeetle

papyrusbeetle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

I love them all, really, especially the ones with Mantan Moreland.

I love CHARLIE CHAN IN HONOLULU because we get to see all his children in his home, and all of the décor is chintz with Chinese motifs.

BUT- the funniest, best, most glamorous, and interesting is CHARLIE CHAN IN RENO.

"I don't want to die."

"Neither do I, baby, but if I have to, I'm going to die last." -OUT OF THE PAST

#10 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 02:44 AM

So what are your favorite Charlie Chan films?

Mine are:

The Black Camel (1931)

Eran Trece (1931): based on the novel Charlie Chan Carries On

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users