We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:46 PM

Kookie Twists

#2 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Edd had better have been married.  I saw on a TV news show that he has a son who's a news anchor in New England.

Yes, he was married for a time.

#3 wouldbestar

wouldbestar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 26 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

Edd had better have been married.  I saw on a TV news show that he has a son who's a news anchor in New England.

#4 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,686 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

I wish Warner Brothers would release boxsets of this shows and its spinoffs. Or at least have the option of their made to order DVD-R service.

#5 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:19 PM

FYI, Warner's also released a holiday single of Kookie doing a hipster version of "The Night Before Christmas" called "Yulesville". ('It was the night before Christmas and all through the pad not a hepcat was swingin' and that's nowhere, Dad.")

I can recall that I also bought a follow-up 45 to Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb and I believe it was called Kookie's Mad Pad. But it didn't seem to have the same popularity as the original 45 single.

#6 johnm001

johnm001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:57 PM

So furious that our local station that was carrying Me TV, change to the horrible Charge, thus losing 77 SUNSET STRIP, which I was recording, and watching, daily.  Loved it during its original run, and was loving seeing them again.

#7 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:40 AM

FYI, Warner's also released a holiday single of Kookie doing a hipster version of "The Night Before Christmas" called "Yulesville". ('It was the night before Christmas and all through the pad not a hepcat was swingin' and that's nowhere, Dad.") 

• Janet0312 likes this

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#8 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:07 AM

Yeah. It's a pretty good show. In the episode that was on this morning, Kookie came on at the very end attempting to pick up some babe in the bar.

#9 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

He gets married??? I don't watch the show every morning, only when I can't sleep, so I'm not even sure what season it is right now. I haven't seen Kookie in quite a while though.

You're going to have to forgive me here - - when this all occurred I was in kindergarten or the first grade. I couldn't really tell the difference between the actor and the character on TV - - all I know is that in the movie mags, that I bought religiously every week for a quarter-- Edd Byrnes really married a woman and it broke my young heart.LOL

By the way, when I can, I stay up till 3 o'clock in the morning to watch Strip
- - after all these years it still does not disappoint.

#10 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

Janet--I never could forgive Kookie for getting married. But to me he is still the ginchiest!

He gets married??? I don't watch the show every morning, only when I can't sleep, so I'm not even sure what season it is right now. I haven't seen Kookie in quite a while though.

#11 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:04 PM

Oh, very cool. I think Kookie is dreamy.

Janet--I never could forgive Kookie for getting married. But to me he is still the ginchiest!

#12 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, Janet. I used to watch Dick Clark's Saturday night show faithfully. (I somewhat shame-facedly admit that I combed my hair like Dick Clark back then.) I actually still have the 45 of this masterpiece. Warner's was great at cross-promotion. They had all these "dreamy" kids under contract and their own in-house record label, so why not combine the two and make all the money they could off of it? Thanks again for this unexpected but totally enjoyable gift. All-time fave from that show: Jackie Wilson.

Oh, very cool. I think Kookie is dreamy.
  • Princess of Tap likes this

#13 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

James Garner had a walk on and EZJR greeted him as Maverick. Most enjoyable show. I am enjoying it very much.

#14 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

77 Sunset Strip is on MeTV weeknights at 4 AM ET.  One night last week they had a "crossover" with Connie Stevens and Anthony Eisley from Hawaiian Eye.  They do this with the other WB shows of the period.

#15 DougieB

DougieB

I Love Melvin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

Thanks, Janet. I used to watch Dick Clark's Saturday night show faithfully. (I somewhat shame-facedly admit that I combed my hair like Dick Clark back then.) I actually still have the 45 of this masterpiece. Warner's was great at cross-promotion. They had all these "dreamy" kids under contract and their own in-house record label, so why not combine the two and make all the money they could off of it? Thanks again for this unexpected but totally enjoyable gift. All-time fave from that show: Jackie Wilson.

"When Fortuna spins you downward, go out to a movie and get more out of life."...Ignatious J. Reilly, A Confederacy of Dunces

#16 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

• Princess of Tap likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users