We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

"Cloud Atlas"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VivLeighFan

VivLeighFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationIn her room, most likely

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

One of my favorite movies right now! It really changed how I saw the world. The actors look they are having the time of their lives making it.
  • jaragon likes this

#2 SWfan

SWfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

As a lover of avant garde experimental literature, I loved the Cloud Atlas novel by David Mitchell. Considering its unusual plot, I was completely floored when I heard it was being turned into a movie. I was even more floored when I saw the film. It deftly used jump cuts to heighten the pace of the story. This was due to the fact that Mitchell co-scripted. The excellent cast performed admirably in the difficult problem of playing so many different roles. I've seen Atlas a dozen times and thoroughly enjoyed it every time.

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

Yes, I liked it a lot, much more than the critics seemed to. I liked the ambition of the film, and the fact that it doesn't talk down to the audience. I count it among my 10 favorite films of that year. 

I have never seen it the entire thing- keep catching bits of it on cable all the time-  it's challenge to keep up with the story line perhaps too complex- but I do like the look and message of the film

• rayban likes this

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Caretaker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,460 posts
  • LocationThe Overlook Hotel

Posted 31 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

Yes, I liked it a lot, much more than the critics seemed to. I liked the ambition of the film, and the fact that it doesn't talk down to the audience. I count it among my 10 favorite films of that year. 

• jaragon and rayban like this

#5 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:14 PM

Has anybody else seen this ambitious but strange film which seems to take place in different time periods  and once? 

• rayban likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users