We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

War films for women-- what would you pick?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

I'm not familiar with your first two titles, topbilled, but I would say the other two are definitely war films for women.

The first title, THE WAR AGAINST MRS. HADLEY, is an MGM melodrama starring Fay Bainter. It's never been released on home video (to my knowledge) but TCM plays it once or twice a year.

THE GENTLE SEX is an all-star British melodrama produced and narrated by Leslie Howard. It was Howard's last motion picture before his untimely death.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

I'm not familiar with your first two titles, topbilled, but I would say the other two are definitely war films for women.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Might want to change the title to about women.

I thought it was a discussion of films that we would recommend to women for them to view.

If we say these films are about women, they could still be for men, watching stories about women. I think some of these films were not made for men at all, they were for women, as propaganda for them to know their place in the war. That's where I'm going in my upcoming reviews.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,175 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Might want to change the title to about women.

I thought it was a discussion of films that we would recommend to women for them to view.

#5 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

Great topic.    Just off the top of my head I would recommend Government Girl with Olivia DeHavilland.

Not a great film but it is about how a strong and intelligent women can assist the war effort and her country while staying in the USA.      Also,  since it is a film that was made while Olivia and Warner Bros. were having difficulties and therefore Olivia was loaned out to Selznick in return for Ingrid Bergman to be in Casablanca.

This is also one of the last films Anne Shirley did.    Anne looks more like Olivia than actual sister Joan, but in the film they play roommates.    

I saw Government Girl years ago and enjoyed it very much.  I agree that Ann Shirley and Olivia DeHavilland do look alike.    

• TopBilled likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:59 PM

I've decided the four films I will review in the Essentials forum next month will be:

THE WAR AGAINST MRS. HADLEY (1942)

THE GENTLE SEX (1943)

TENDER COMRADE (1943)

GREAT DAY (1945)

• ChristineHoard and cinemaspeak59 like this

#7 Kmarcks

Kmarcks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:43 PM

I like Cry 'Havoc' . Not a happy ending.

• TopBilled likes this

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

I'm appreciating everyone's comments very much. At the end of April I will make a decision on the other two and post it in this thread. Hopefully we'll continue to have more discussion during the next couple weeks.

Last night I did watch the title James mentioned-- GOVERNMENT GIRL starring Olivia De Havilland. Looking at other user reviews on the IMDb I realize people seem fairly divided-- they either consider GOVERNMENT GIRL a lot of fun and rate it highly, or else they find it pretty awful and rate it low. I think the film has merit but is very problematic on many levels.  

My primary issue with it is how the story goes in several directions. It was like Dudley Nichols couldn't decide whether it should be a screwball comedy or if it should be a patriotic endorsement of bombers. I'm uncomfortable with the main message of GOVERNMENT GIRL, but it obviously had an impact in its day because it was a big hit for RKO.

As for how GOVERNMENT GIRL relates to the subject of women during wartime, it's very uneven. Anne Shirley's character is rather juvenile (sort of like Anne of Green Gables getting married to a much older man then leaving Matthew and Aunt Marilla behind for Washington). Olivia's character has her moments of strength and intelligence, but she overplays it in a highly exaggerated farcical manner which seems to undercut the role and any values it might represent. I don't think women viewers would have found Olivia or Anne to be playing types they would like to emulate. The most interesting woman in the picture is Agnes Moorehead's society matron, but she doesn't have a lot of screen time.

#9 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:31 PM

Christine--

Your mentioning that Ginger Rogers movie reminds me of another Ginger Rogers movie which takes place during the war.

It's a Bittersweet love story, "I'll Be Seeing You", featuring that beautiful song that was Liberace's theme song.

This movie is really a little off-beat with Ginger Falling in Love with a shell-shocked Soldier, Joseph Cotten, while she wrestles with her own personal tragedy.

Yes!  I've seen it a couple of times.  Very different sort of film for its time but I liked it.

#10 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

I think TENDER COMRADE would be a most interesting choice. You have the film story of different "Rosie the Riveters" while husbands/sons are at war and you have the behind-the-scenes where some of those involved would have to deal with the HUAC in a few years. Quite a contrast between propaganda fiction and real life drama.

Christine--

Your mentioning that Ginger Rogers movie reminds me of another Ginger Rogers movie which takes place during the war.

It's a Bittersweet love story, "I'll Be Seeing You", featuring that beautiful song that was Liberace's theme song.

This movie is really a little off-beat with Ginger Falling in Love with a shell-shocked Soldier, Joseph Cotten, while she wrestles with her own personal tragedy.
  • TopBilled likes this

#11 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:23 PM

I think TENDER COMRADE would be a most interesting choice.  You have the film story of different "Rosie the Riveters"  while husbands/sons are at war and you have the behind-the-scenes where some of those involved would have to deal with the HUAC in a few years.  Quite a contrast between propaganda fiction and real life drama.

• TopBilled likes this

#12 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:00 PM

Great topic.    Just off the top of my head I would recommend Government Girl with Olivia DeHavilland.

Not a great film but it is about how a strong and intelligent women can assist the war effort and her country while staying in the USA.      Also,  since it is a film that was made while Olivia and Warner Bros. were having difficulties and therefore Olivia was loaned out to Selznick in return for Ingrid Bergman to be in Casablanca.

This is also one of the last films Anne Shirley did.    Anne looks more like Olivia than actual sister Joan, but in the film they play roommates.    

Thanks James for the suggestion. I looked to see if I have a copy and I do. 

It seems Olivia hated the film, but probably because it was "punishment" for her lawsuit against Jack Warner. That's a war of another kind. LOL

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:56 PM

And For Me and My Gal, starring Judy Garland and Gene Kelly, but this would be World War I; again a very engaging love story with a draft dodger twist and Judy singing all those endearing Vaudeville and World War I era songs.

This reminds me of THE WHITE CLIFFS OF DOVER-- a title I like very much and wanted to review. But I decided against it because most of the action focuses on the first World War, and it only becomes "current" at the end. 

My focus will be on WWII films for women (made during WWII). 

#14 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,319 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

I grew up with two World War II era films that I thought were particularly good, but on opposite extremes:

Howard Hawks' I Was a Male War Bride starring Cary Grant and Ann Sheridan, a screwball comedy and So Proudly We Hail!, a Claudette Colbert vehicle based on the true story of Army nurses at the Battle of Corregidor in the Philippines.

And of course my war film upbringing would include 2 MGM classics--

Thirty Seconds over Tokyo starring Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson-- this has a warm love story, which I think is appealing to women, with an obligatory, but cleanly Surgical,Aviation bombing in the conclusion.

And For Me and My Gal, starring Judy Garland and Gene Kelly, but this would be World War I; again a very engaging love story with a draft dodger twist and Judy singing all those endearing Vaudeville and World War I era songs.

#15 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,038 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#16 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:03 PM

In May, my theme in the Essentials forum will be 'War Films as Propaganda for Female Audiences.' I will be reviewing four titles.

One of them will be THE WAR AGAINST MRS. HADLEY (1942); and another will be THE GENTLE SEX (1943), a British production. But I haven't chosen the other two yet. 

Any suggestions...?

Here are the possible choices:

MRS. MINIVER (1942)

SWING SHIFT MAISIE (1943)

THE AMAZING MRS. HOLLIDAY (1943)

MILLIONS LIKE US (1943)

SO PROUDLY WE HAIL! (1943)

TENDER COMRADE (1943)

THE LAMP STILL BURNS (1943)

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (1944)

FOUR JILLS IN A JEEP (1944)

ROSIE THE RIVETER (1944)

LADIES COURAGEOUS (1944)

TWO THOUSAND WOMEN (1944)

CRY 'HAVOC' (1944)

MEET THE PEOPLE (1944)

KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY (1945)

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users