We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Frederick Wiseman Documentaries

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SVF

SVF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Wiseman's films show up on PBS sometimes.  They've recently shown In Jackson Heights, and I also saw At Berkeley a while back.  I get only a national feed for PBS on my satellite, so they must have been part of Independent Lens or POV or something like that.

#2 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,724 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:53 AM

Nearly all of Wiseman's films are available on DVD, through Zipporah Films

At $40+ a pop, they'll remain unseen. 

#3 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

Nearly all of Wiseman's films are available on DVD, through Zipporah Films

#4 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,724 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

I've read plenty of people heaping praise on Wiseman, but I have never seen one of his films. As far as I've seen, they are rarely, if ever, shown on TV, and I've never seen one on disc or VHS. That's not to say that they aren't out there, just not anywhere that I've had access to them.

I'll also mention that his film High School is included in the 1001 Movies to See Before You Die.

#5 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

I think he is the greatest documentary film maker of all time. Film Forum in New York City is showing a retrospective of his early films, here are the  ones I admire the most. What are your opinions of Wiseman and his films?

Titicut Follies (1967)

A harrowing look inside a Massachusetts hospital for the criminally insane. Even though we know this is all true it is hard to believe what we are seeing. The most memorable moments are a doctor smoking a cigarette while feeding a patient through a tube, and orderly taunting a naked disturbed inmate.

Law And Order (1969)

This follows Kansas City cops around their town. Filming police has become commonplace in film and TV now, but this is the original raw and brutal stuff. We see a detective put a hooker in a choke hold, not even caring he is being filmed, Also a smart mouthed juvenile car thief threatens both cops and neighbors. And we see some caring and kindness for a lost little girl by some officers.

Hospital (1970)

A tough look at a New York city hospital, it spares you nothing as we see horrific wounds, sickness and death. Most memorable scene shows a young man with an overdose vomiting up what seems like gallons.

Juvenile Court (1973)

We see juvenile offenders going through the legal process in Memphis. Most shocking is a suspected teenage child molester.

Welfare (1975)

Here we see all facets of the welfare system in 1970s New York. There is anger, compassion, sadness, lies all in a day's work. So many striking moments in this one, including a racist drunk trying to provoke black guards and  a couple obviously lying to get the welfare checks.

• KilgoreTrout likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users