We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Winchester '73 (1950)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:33 AM

It's always fun to see actors in something early in their careers.  For those seeing this for the first time, look for brief scenes with Rock Hudson, Tony Curtis, and James Best.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,446 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

I don't think I've seen Jimmy Stewart more handsomely rugged than in Winchester '73 (1950).  With his long sideburns and longer hair, and in his portrayal of cowboy Lin McAdam, Stewart is a man free of sentimentality.  Tiffany Vazquez, in her introduction, was correct in saying Director Anthony Mann stayed within the Western genre, and also added complexities.  Mann does touch all the Western tropes; the twilight shots of the landscape are a sight. But he also shows how the West, in its vastness, can be quite insular.

Stewart isn't terribly materialistic about his Winchester rifle. He skips having it engraved. The mission to bring his father's killer to justice takes precedent. Unlike Dutch Henry Brown (Stephen McNally), Lin won't use the rifle for thrill killing. The most touching scenes are the quiet ones.  When Lin wakes up in the cavalry camp, his good buddy High-Spade Frankie Wilson (Millard Mitchell) smiles at him, and lovingly says "I made you coffee", capturing the bond between the two men.  The ending hints that, perhaps, the Shelley Winters character, Lola Manners, and Stewart's Lin McAdam, may have a future together.  If not, Lin and Frankie will do just fine.  

Great write up;   This is the Stewart film that made me change my POV about him.   Yea,  I liked him but I wasn't really much of a fan of some of his early 'hick' (ah, shucks) persona type roles.      But in this Mann film (as well as others collaborations) the Stewart film persona is more well rounded and nuanced.     The film uses most of the standard themes (family dispute, buddy bonding,  gang of bad guys and possible double crossers,   clueless good guy killing,   good girl gang moll or not gal etc...   BUT none of these themes are pushed 'too much' but instead weaved into a very compelling film.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:25 PM

I don't think I've seen Jimmy Stewart more handsomely rugged than in Winchester '73 (1950).  With his long sideburns and longer hair, and in his portrayal of cowboy Lin McAdam, Stewart is a man free of sentimentality.  Tiffany Vazquez, in her introduction, was correct in saying Director Anthony Mann stayed within the Western genre, and also added complexities.  Mann does touch all the Western tropes; the twilight shots of the landscape are a sight. But he also shows how the West, in its vastness, can be quite insular.

Stewart isn't terribly materialistic about his Winchester rifle. He skips having it engraved. The mission to bring his father's killer to justice takes precedent. Unlike Dutch Henry Brown (Stephen McNally), Lin won't use the rifle for thrill killing. The most touching scenes are the quiet ones.  When Lin wakes up in the cavalry camp, his good buddy High-Spade Frankie Wilson (Millard Mitchell) smiles at him, and lovingly says "I made you coffee", capturing the bond between the two men.  The ending hints that, perhaps, the Shelley Winters character, Lola Manners, and Stewart's Lin McAdam, may have a future together.  If not, Lin and Frankie will do just fine.  

Excellent review. I think my favorite Mann western is MAN OF THE WEST.

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

• jamesjazzguitar, TopBilled and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users