We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Doomsday (1928)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:58 AM

I saw it at the annual Capitolfest film festival in Rome, NY in August 2016. I enjoyed it very much. Not only was it nice to see Gary Cooper in something I'd never seen before, but Florence Vidor is someone we don't see enough of.

She did a VERY good job. What a talented actress she was!

#2 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,215 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Just wondering who else has seen the 1928 silent film Doomsday, starring Florence Vidor?

I saw it at the annual Capitolfest film festival in Rome, NY in August 2016. I enjoyed it very much. Not only was it nice to see Gary Cooper in something I'd never seen before, but Florence Vidor is someone we don't see enough of.

#3 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:09 AM

Nice picture of Gary Cooper! Thanks for posting!  :)

#4 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,489 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 April 2017 - 03:21 PM

I have read Gary Cooper described as "beautiful" early in his career and I would agree (I'm talking late 1920's & early 1930's).  He was certainly good looking later but not beautiful.

My wife also found Cooper to be 'beautiful' in his early (30s) films moving to a more rugged \ handsome look in the 40s.   Of course the main reason is aging but I also believe make-up has something to do with it.   In some of those 30s films the make-up is a little too obvious.    Yeah, every actor was 'made-up' by the make-up department to some degree but in the 30s the 'look' was less realistic than it became in later decades.

• ChristineHoard likes this

#5 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 01:09 PM

Cooper shirtless in Lives of a Bengal Lancer in 1935. A treat for many ladies, I'm sure.

7328705382_8d43d3fdda_b.jpg

#6 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

I have read Gary Cooper described as "beautiful" early in his career and I would agree (I'm talking late 1920's & early 1930's).  He was certainly good looking later but not beautiful.

He was still hot in the 1941 film Ball of Fire, but I didn't notice his looks much in later films, like High Noon.

I found him to be extremely appealing in Ball of Fire

#7 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:34 PM

#8 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:55 AM

I thought that it was much more interesting than a soap opera. To me, it's excellent drama, but each to his/her own.

Gary Cooper was very hot, and he sure looked hot in this movie!  :)

#9 TomJH

TomJH

I know what gold does to men's souls.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,127 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

I saw a print of Doomsday last year.

It wasn't my cup of tea, to be honest with you, because it's essentially a soap opera. Still, it was interesting to see a young Gary Cooper in it, strikingly beautiful, a word not usually associated with this actor, in a number of his closeups.

2c390aa4a63f43583fab3e71a2005cc7.jpg

#10 kjrwe

kjrwe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:02 AM

Just wondering who else has seen the 1928 silent film Doomsday, starring Florence Vidor?

This movie is an excellent and underrated silent drama about a poor young woman who falls for a poor farmer (Gary Cooper), but has the chance to marry a very rich local man (Lawrence Grant). This woman has spent years taking care of her father (lots of housekeeping involved) and the temptation to marry for money is there.

Highly recommended drama. It has some obvious pre-production code elements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users