We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Rebel in Town (1956)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:15 PM

screen-shot-2017-04-23-at-7-31-01-am.jpg

The supporting cast you listed is excellent.

Then maybe you'll understand why, for me anyway as a fan of Laramie, it was shocking to see John Smith play the especially oily villainous role, although he was also pretty good as the antagonist in Fury at Showdown.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

"Anybody who doesn't want to hang can step out get shot"

#2 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

I'm glad you reminded us of all the Westerns that Ruth Roman made.  And there were some good ones.  She always is believable in these roles.  My personal favorite is "Great Day in the Morning".  I never get tired of watching this.

Nice, I'll keep an eye out for that one!

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:28 AM

I'm glad you reminded us of all the Westerns that Ruth Roman made.  And there were some good ones.  She always is believable in these roles.  My personal favorite is "Great Day in the Morning".  I never get tired of watching this.

screen-shot-2017-04-23-at-7-34-34-am1.jp

Yes, she and Raymond Burr are excellent in GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING. They're playing supporting characters but in my opinion, they're the whole show.

I also like BARRICADE which has her and Dane Clark as prisoners at a work camp run by evil Raymond Massey. Other Ruth Roman westerns include her work with James Stewart in THE FAR COUNTRY; and with Gary Cooper in DALLAS.

In 1970 Ruth guest-starred on an episode of The Virginian as Van Johnson's scheming invalid wife. Another good performance by her.

screen-shot-2017-04-23-at-7-36-56-am.jpg

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,374 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:24 AM

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,683 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:54 PM

screen-shot-2017-04-23-at-7-31-01-am.jpg

It's been a few years since TCM aired it. And REBEL IN TOWN is certainly a worthwhile western. Ruth Roman proves how much at home she was in the genre, and so does John Payne. The supporting cast you listed is excellent.

Most of the titles airing on the Starz Western channel can be streamed if you add the Starz subscription through Amazon Prime. 

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 AlamoScout210

AlamoScout210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Rebel in Town (1956)

Director: Alfred L. Werker

Stars: 

John Payne

Ruth Roman

J. Carrol Naish

Ben Cooper

John Smith

Ben Johnson

- After the Civil War, tragedy occurs when a small family of former confederate soldiers ride into a town for supplies.

With perhaps the most shocking and brutal slaying of a child I've ever seen in the opening sequences of a 50's western, Rebel in Town delivers a tragic and dramatic story of personal conflict, betrayal and emotional heartache shared by all parties involved.

The terrific performances by this stellar cast keeps you on the hook until the exciting conclusion.

Rebel in Town can be seen this month on the Starz Western channel. 8/10

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users