We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

2017 SCHEDULE

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

George Sanders Day today...good tribute to one of the better sophisticated rogues on screen.  Disappointed that TCM isn't showing "The Moon and Sixpence" though.  I'd rather watch that than another screening of "Foreign Correspondent".  Oh well, beggers can't be choosers!

I was also surprised this film wasn't chosen but TCM airs it several times a year. Definitely worth checking out the next time it's on!

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 midwestan

midwestan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

George Sanders Day today...good tribute to one of the better sophisticated rogues on screen.  Disappointed that TCM isn't showing "The Moon and Sixpence" though.  I'd rather watch that than another screening of "Foreign Correspondent".  Oh well, beggers can't be choosers!

• TopBilled likes this

#3 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Well . . . I was also glad to see Franchot Tone saluted but Ann Harding Day is long overdue!

• TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

Ann Harding Day.  Love it, love it!

Yes, today's schedule and the one devoted to Claire Trevor earlier in the month have been my faves.

• lydecker likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 lydecker

lydecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

Ann Harding Day.  Love it, love it!

• TopBilled likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

Interesting. TCM will not be showing THE DESRT SONG in Canada on Dennis Morgan's day, due to rights issues. Instead, Canadian viewers will get a showing of TO THE VICTOR, a Dennis Morgan film which has not aired on TCM in the States since January 2003.

Usually TCM's replacements for  films they can't show in Canada are in frequent rotation on the American side of the network, so I can't help but wonder what accounts for this.

Yes that is rather interesting. And I wonder why TO THE VICTOR seldom airs in the U.S.

#7 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:56 AM

Interesting. TCM will not be showing THE DESRT SONG in Canada on Dennis Morgan's day, due to rights issues. Instead, Canadian viewers will get a showing of TO THE VICTOR, a Dennis Morgan film which has not aired on TCM in the States since January 2003.

Usually TCM's replacements for  films they can't show in Canada are in frequent rotation on the American side of the network, so I can't help but wonder what accounts for this.

#8 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:59 PM

Yes,  a Columbia pre-code gem.   GET-TV shows the film every other month or so but it was nice to see it without commercial interruptions.

As you state use SUTS to showcase relatively unseen gems (e.g. early works before an actor became a 'star',  or later works where they have a supporting or second banana role,  or loan-out pictures, etc..),   instead of the same old stuff from the hit parade.

In a way I have a problem when DOUBLE INDEMNITY becomes the go-to Paramount film for Stanwyck. Don't get me wrong, it's one of her very best motion pictures and it deserves to be seen.

But she did so many great films at that studio and they seldom turn up on TCM. It's been years since THE FILE ON THELMA JORDON aired. Same is true for THE GREAT MAN'S LADY. I don't think NO MAN OF HER OWN has ever been broadcast, and what a spectacular melodrama it is. THE BRIDE WORE BOOTS, a Paramount rom-com she did with Robert Cummings has never been on TCM either. CALIFORNIA is a gorgeous Technicolor western she did with Ray Milland that TCM has never shown (though it sometimes pops up on the Encore westerns channel).

So when TCM keeps repeating the old stuff from the hit parade, it unfairly narrows our understanding of what Stanwyck accomplished at Paramount and other outside studios like Columbia, Universal and Republic.

• jamesjazzguitar, lydecker and ChristineHoard like this

#9 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

I agree. DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs on TCM quite often. I was glad they chose the more obscure Columbia precode THE MIRACLE WOMAN instead. These are the kinds of gems fans appreciate during Summer Under the Stars.

Yes,  a Columbia pre-code gem.   GET-TV shows the film every other month or so but it was nice to see it without commercial interruptions.

As you state use SUTS to showcase relatively unseen gems (e.g. early works before an actor became a 'star',  or later works where they have a supporting or second banana role,  or loan-out pictures, etc..),   instead of the same old stuff from the hit parade.

• ChristineHoard likes this

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

It is likely that TCM has Double Indemnity,  a Paramount film,  under a specific (narrow)  leasing agreement and therefore wouldn't wish to use one of the defined 'slots' (number of times TCM can show the film),   as part of SUTS.   I.e. to not 'bury' one of her most important films in this 24 hour tribute and instead reserve it for, say,  The Essentials,  or some guest host selection (since the film is a guest host favorite).

I agree. DOUBLE INDEMNITY airs on TCM quite often. I was glad they chose the more obscure Columbia precode THE MIRACLE WOMAN instead. These are the kinds of gems fans appreciate during Summer Under the Stars.

• jamesjazzguitar and ChristineHoard like this

#11 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

Is anybody else surprised not to see the film "Double Indemnity" on the list for Barbara Stanwyck's day under the stars? I know the picture has been shown on TCM this year, but still it is surprising not to see it today. 

It is likely that TCM has Double Indemnity,  a Paramount film,  under a specific (narrow)  leasing agreement and therefore wouldn't wish to use one of the defined 'slots' (number of times TCM can show the film),   as part of SUTS.   I.e. to not 'bury' one of her most important films in this 24 hour tribute and instead reserve it for, say,  The Essentials,  or some guest host selection (since the film is a guest host favorite).

• TopBilled likes this

#12 Rainydaygirl

Rainydaygirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Point, Oregon

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:48 PM

Is anybody else surprised not to see the film "Double Indemnity" on the list for Barbara Stanwyck's day under the stars? I know the picture has been shown on TCM this year, but still it is surprising not to see it today. 

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Darn! I was hoping for another Vincent Price 24 Hour marathon. Maybe another time.

I'm sure he'll be honored again. He tends to remain fairly popular.

#14 midnighttnr

midnighttnr

• TCM_allow
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationModesto,California,U.S.A.

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:39 AM

No need to 'wait and see'. You can see on the online schedule who will be honored on August 20; it is Cary Grant. See http://www.tcm.com/s...date=2017-08-20

Darn! I was hoping for another Vincent Price 24 Hour marathon. Maybe another time. :(

#15 Barton_Keyes

Barton_Keyes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationLeamington, Ontario

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

Okay. Thanks for the info. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

No need to 'wait and see'. You can see on the online schedule who will be honored on August 20; it is Cary Grant. See http://www.tcm.com/s...date=2017-08-20

#16 midnighttnr

midnighttnr

• TCM_allow
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

I believe it's Cary Grant who will be honored on the 20th.

Okay. Thanks for the info. We'll just have to wait and see. :)

#17 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

I'm glad stars like Lon Chaney Sr. and Elvis Presley made it into the Summer Under The Stars marathon. I hope Vincent Price is the backlot pick for August 20th. I know his films were shown in a previous year's Summer Under The Stars marathon,but it would still be nice to have another Vincent Price movie marathon.

I believe it's Cary Grant who will be honored on the 20th.

#18 midnighttnr

midnighttnr

• TCM_allow
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:32 AM

the honorees

screen-shot-2017-05-03-at-4-26-07-pm.png

1    marilyn monroe

2    ray milland

3    lon chaney sr.

4    tba (backlot pick)

5    gene kelly

6    robert mitchum

7    eleanor parker

8    franchot tone

9    sandra dee

10  sidney poitier

11  ginger rogers

12  john wayne

13  barbara stanwyck

14  vanessa redgrave

15  ricardo montalban

16  elvis presley

17  rosalind russell

18  rod taylor

19  angela lansbury

20  tba (backlot pick)

21  ann harding

22  glenn ford

23  greer garson

24  dennis morgan

25  simone signoret

26  james cagney

27  leslie caron

28  slim pickens

29  marion davies

30  george sanders

31  elizabeth taylor

I'm glad stars like Lon Chaney Sr. and Elvis Presley made it into the Summer Under The Stars marathon. I hope Vincent Price is the backlot pick for August 20th. I know his films were shown in a previous year's Summer Under The Stars marathon,but it would still be nice to have another Vincent Price movie marathon.

#19 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDubai, United Arab Emirates

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

Ginger Rogers !

https://68.media.tum...wbwc9o1_400.gif

#20 Rejana Raj

Rejana Raj