We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

77 Sunset Strip

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:38 PM

Today's episode was how the firm came together and each one of the guys had a different version. Hilarious!!!!

Saw that one too. A good one!

#2 musicalnovelty

musicalnovelty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

...One thing I really love about many of these crime shows done during that era is the music. There are hip small jazz combos and this is the type of music I love to play. So seeing the 'cats' perform it, even if it is just in the background or to set the vibe of a scene (often in a cool nightclub), allows me to feel like I'm back in that era. 

And on "77 Sunset Strip", whenever there is music being performed, it is usually a tune from an old WB movie!

• Arturo likes this

#3 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,503 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

I think that is part of the show.  They also are frequently listed in the credits, their sign is displayed in front of Dino's (where they paly), etc.  A lot of shows from that era seemed to have musical interludes.

Yes,  Dino's is where these jazz combos play and a frequent meeting spot for the P.I.s and their clients.   

#4 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

I don't have a recorder. Can you recommend one? I have a Smart TV & a Blueray player.

Toshiba used to sell a very good DVDR/VCR, but has quit selling them due to the hassel from DVD manufacturers.  There are still some for sell, but are pretty pricey.

I got mine a year or so ago for about $300, which was normal retail.

Of course, you may still be able to find some VCR's out there, but not sure.

Unless you want to go the DVR route and I know little about that as I don't have one.

#5 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,822 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

I haven't seen a lot of 77 episodes, but in some of them the jazz combo goes through the whole number. They are on and the actors are watching. Pretty cool. They played the theme song in one of the first episodes I saw, so I was ecstatic.

I think that is part of the show.  They also are frequently listed in the credits, their sign is displayed in front of Dino's (where they paly), etc.  A lot of shows from that era seemed to have musical interludes.

#6 Hibi

Hibi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,579 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 May 2017 - 05:22 PM

Sometimes the Decades channel runs it. I'll check the schedule.

#7 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 05:51 PM

I don't have one either.  Instead I just make 'temp' copies that I can watch later using the services my cable companies provides.   Hopefully someone else here can make a recommendation.

As for 77 Sunset Strip;  I really like the show and watched many of the episodes when Decades showed the series.   One thing I really love about many of these crime shows done during that era is the music.    There are hip small jazz combos and this is the type of music I love to play.   So seeing the 'cats' perform it, even if it is just in the background or to set the vibe of a scene (often in a cool nightclub), allows me to feel like I'm back in that era.

I haven't seen a lot of 77 episodes, but in some of them the jazz combo goes through the whole number. They are on and the actors are watching. Pretty cool. They played the theme song in one of the first episodes I saw, so I was ecstatic.
  • jamesjazzguitar likes this

#8 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,503 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

I don't have a recorder. Can you recommend one? I have a Smart TV & a Blueray player.

I don't have one either.  Instead I just make 'temp' copies that I can watch later using the services my cable companies provides.   Hopefully someone else here can make a recommendation.

As for 77 Sunset Strip;  I really like the show and watched many of the episodes when Decades showed the series.   One thing I really love about many of these crime shows done during that era is the music.    There are hip small jazz combos and this is the type of music I love to play.   So seeing the 'cats' perform it, even if it is just in the background or to set the vibe of a scene (often in a cool nightclub), allows me to feel like I'm back in that era. 

• mr6666, Arturo and Janet0312 like this

#9 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

YouTube is 'useless' when it comes to showing protected content because they are following the law.     Also if WB decided to release the series on DVD,  uh,   that will not be free.    I.e. companies that own such source content do so to make MONEY.

PS:  Decades showed the series during on of their weekend marathon.    You may be able to record such material the next time Decades show is (which I assume will be in the next few months or so).

#10 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

Janet-- I'm one of the original old Edd "Kookie" Byrnes fans from way back. And luckily for me I'm a night owl because in my neck of the woods it comes on around 3 o'clock in the morning. LOL

I was thrilled to see how well the show held up and just how good it was. But most of all, I was thrilled that Kookie still seem cool to me and not outdated at all.

BTW-- Efrem Zimbalist jr. Wasn't so bad to look at either!

I just finished Edd Bynes' autobiography. Interesting guy he was in his prime. He looks so small on the show. I wonder how tall he is?

EZ jr is a hunk. They all were.

#11 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,503 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

Does anybody know if this show can be seen anywhere on the web for free? I tried You Tube, but they're pretty useless. Warners hasn't released it on DVD yet.

YouTube is 'useless' when it comes to showing protected content because they are following the law.     Also if WB decided to release the series on DVD,  uh,   that will not be free.    I.e. companies that own such source content do so to make MONEY.

PS:  Decades showed the series during on of their weekend marathon.    You may be able to record such material the next time Decades show is (which I assume will be in the next few months or so). 

#12 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:33 PM

MeTV is where I discovered this excellent show. It's on at 4:00 A.M. in my neck of the woods as well, and I have bags under my eyeballs because of it. But what a great show! Today's episode was how the firm came together and each one of the guys had a different version. Hilarious!!!!

Janet-- I'm one of the original old Edd "Kookie" Byrnes fans from way back. And luckily for me I'm a night owl because in my neck of the woods it comes on around 3 o'clock in the morning. LOL

I was thrilled to see how well the show held up and just how good it was. But most of all, I was thrilled that Kookie still seem cool to me and not outdated at all.

BTW-- Efrem Zimbalist jr. Wasn't so bad to look at either!
  • lavenderblue19 likes this

#13 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:28 PM

MeTV is where I discovered this excellent show. It's on at 4:00 A.M. in my neck of the woods as well, and I have bags under my eyeballs because of it. But what a great show! Today's episode was how the firm came together and each one of the guys had a different version. Hilarious!!!!

Once Upon A Caper
Stu, Jeff, and Kookie tell Rex three very different versions of the events that launched the agency.

#14 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 05:19 PM

• Arturo likes this

#15 Arturo

Arturo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:24 PM

Me-TV Hollywood has been showing it at 4 am Tuesday-Saturday, which I discovered about a month ago. I discovered that same day there were a bunch of episodes on YouTube, uploaded about a week or two earlier. Alas, a day or so later they were removed.

Hopefully, they will repeat the series on Me TV once its done (they're toward the end of season 3 now). I agree its disgraceful that WB hasn't released these on dvds, or even their Dvdr service.

#16 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Watchman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,109 posts
  • LocationThe Wild Frontier

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:13 PM

Me-TV just started showing Strip a couple of months ago. It's one of those free digital channels that are acquired by local broadcasters.

Me-TV in my area doesn't show 77 Sunset Strip. It must be during one of the hours when they have local programming. The 8 PM - 10 PM block and the 3 AM - 5 AM blocks have locally chosen programming.

#17 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

Me-TV just started showing Strip a couple of months ago. It's one of those free digital channels that are acquired by local broadcasters.
  • TopBilled likes this

#18 Janet0312

Janet0312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

Does anybody know if this show can be seen anywhere on the web for free? I tried You Tube, but they're pretty useless. Warners hasn't released it on DVD yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users