We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

JACQUES DEMY

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:33 AM

I tried to find any official statements about Demy's private life and found nothing.  I imagine Varda and his children are protecting his image- at the end his wonderful films filled with beautiful people and music is what really matters

I couldn't agree more - his many films are his lasting legacy to a very rare cinematic sensibility.

Simply put, there was no film director like Jacques Demy.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#2 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:33 PM

Since I don't really want to talk about Jacques Demy's private life, I would suggest the film that his wife, Agnes Varda, made from his autobiographical writings, "Jaquot de Nantes".

One correction, however - one of the children had a different biological father, a man who was famous in French theater.

The other, Mathieu Demy, debuted as an actor and later became a director.

I tried to find any official statements about Demy's private life and found nothing.  I imagine Varda and his children are protecting his image- at the end his wonderful films filled with beautiful people and music is what really matters

• cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#3 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

Demy was married to Agnes Varda. They had two children.  Demy died from complications from AIDs in 1990.  He was only 59 so probably would have made other films. 

Since I don't really want to talk about Jacques Demy's private life, I would suggest the film that his wife, Agnes Varda, made from his autobiographical writings, "Jaquot de Nantes".

One correction, however - one of the children had a different biological father, a man who was famous in French theater.

The other, Mathieu Demy, debuted as an actor and later became a director.

• jaragon likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#4 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:15 PM

Demy was married to Agnes Varda. They had two children.  Demy died from complications from AIDs in 1990.  He was only 59 so probably would have made other films. 

• rayban likes this

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

I believe Demy was straight- but he did have an eye for beautiful young men - I wonder if he might have been bi?https://youtu.be/3yNzdMEiaTY

Would a  straight man have so many movies with cute sailors ;)

Given the evidence of his films, no, I do not believe that Jacques Demy was straight.

• jaragon likes this

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 04:49 PM

I believe Demy was straight- but he did have an eye for beautiful young men - I wonder if he might have been bi?https://youtu.be/3yNzdMEiaTY

Would a  straight man have so many movies with cute sailors ;)

• rayban likes this

#7 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

If you watch the body of his work, it is just - so varied.

But "A Slightly Pregnant Man" has to be seen to be believed.

And it stars Catherine Deneuve and Marcello Mastroianni.

It was written by Jacques Demy himself.

51SV4QRTZPL._SY445_.jpg

Another film of his that must be "experienced" is his update of the Orpheus legend, "Parking" -

tumblr_inline_n2ldf3wwWb1s5czgw.jpg

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

I love the films of Jacques Demy.

He was a uniquely gifted film director.

Films like "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "The Young Girls of Rochefort" are extraordinary achievements.

His sensibility was rare.

Recently, I saw a film of his - a Hollywood film - that has fallen through the cracks - "Model Shop", which was made for Columbia Pictures and starred Anouk Aimee and Gary Lockwood.

Technically, it is a sequel to one of Demy's early and famous films, "Lola".

But, although Gary Lockwood's character does meet Lola and get to know her, the film seems to be much more about him and his unhappiness.

He is a troubled young man.

Gary Lockwood's fine performance and Jacques Demy's sensitive direction really capture the young man's indecisive existence.

Early Jacques Demy films like "Bay of Angels" and "Lola" are celebrated for capturing the essence of their female protagonists.

And "Model Shop" should be celebrated for capturing a young man's world, too.

It's unusual to see a film by a male director that is so attuned to its' male protagonist.

"Model Shop" is a film that should not have fallen through the cracks! 

1200.jpg

Loves Demy and Lockwood was hot

• rayban likes this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

Good post Ray. Great, in fact. It's been awhile since I've seen MODEL SHOP. I need to re-view it.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#10 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

I love the films of Jacques Demy.

He was a uniquely gifted film director.

Films like "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "The Young Girls of Rochefort" are extraordinary achievements.

His sensibility was rare.

Recently, I saw a film of his - a Hollywood film - that has fallen through the cracks - "Model Shop", which was made for Columbia Pictures and starred Anouk Aimee and Gary Lockwood.

Technically, it is a sequel to one of Demy's early and famous films, "Lola".

But, although Gary Lockwood's character does meet Lola and get to know her, the film seems to be much more about him and his unhappiness.

He is a troubled young man.

Gary Lockwood's fine performance and Jacques Demy's sensitive direction really capture the young man's indecisive existence.

Early Jacques Demy films like "Bay of Angels" and "Lola" are celebrated for capturing the essence of their female protagonists.

And "Model Shop" should be celebrated for capturing a young man's world, too.

It's unusual to see a film by a male director that is so attuned to its' male protagonist.

"Model Shop" is a film that should not have fallen through the cracks! 

1200.jpg

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users