We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

No Words

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:23 PM

As you say, as the film nears its' conclusion, there do seem to be "missing scenes".

I would love to interview the screenwriter to understand who made the decision about the story line- there seem to be two films a doomed teen romance and the gay story. I believe the film makers did not want to deal or explore the issues they raised.  If the movie had been made in the 1950's the gay panic suicide would make a lot more sense.

• rayban likes this

#2 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

And at the time the movie was made it's kind of shocking-but Bobby Lee is not only forgiving but has a lot of common sense- perhaps she doesn't believe that gay panic lead Bobby Joe to kill himself either?  Too bad it's too late for a sequel unless...

As you say, as the film nears its' conclusion, there do seem to be "missing scenes".

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#3 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 05:27 PM

Yes, the sympathetic treatment of James Best's character is most perplexing.

And at the time the movie was made it's kind of shocking-but Bobby Lee is not only forgiving but has a lot of common sense- perhaps she doesn't believe that gay panic lead Bobby Joe to kill himself either?  Too bad it's too late for a sequel unless...

#4 Terrence1

Terrence1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,311 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 11:31 AM

In an interview with Bobby Gentry while the song was so popular, she said that the ending was vague on purpose.  She wanted everyone to supply his or her own ending.

• ChristineHoard, jaragon and rayban like this

#5 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:29 AM

But is that the real reason Billy Joe jumps of the bridge? The song gives no answer only vague clues.  In the movie the screenwriter must have come up with the homosexual panic angle because they needed a shocking revelation but the last time we see Billy alive he seems to be on way to dealing with his confusion about the incident.  Is Billy Joe gay or just confused?  There seems to be a missing scene- what happens when Billy goes home? Did he encounter someone else on the bridge that led to his death?  The idea that he killed himself because he got the girl pregnant sounds preposterous- I mean if anyone would have committed suicide it would have been her.  The filmmakers were only interested in doing a period doomed teen romance and not explore a more complex angle to the story.  It's interesting that Billy Joe's "rapist" is treated so sympathetically - we never see the act so we don't know if it was consensual- or if Billy Joe enjoyed it.  The implication is that he did enjoy it and realized that he was " one of those men" .  The story would make more sense if Billy Joe had fallen in love with another boy who rejected him and it drives him to commit suicide perhaps it might have been Bobby Lee's studly brother whose masculine beauty is very much on display.

Yes, the sympathetic treatment of James Best's character is most perplexing.

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:29 PM

"Ode To Billy Joe" - 1976 - directed by Max Baer, Jr. -

Robby Benson killing himself by jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge -

because he spent a night with James Best -

ode-to-billy-joe-2.jpg?w=584

But is that the real reason Billy Joe jumps of the bridge? The song gives no answer only vague clues.  In the movie the screenwriter must have come up with the homosexual panic angle because they needed a shocking revelation but the last time we see Billy alive he seems to be on way to dealing with his confusion about the incident.  Is Billy Joe gay or just confused?  There seems to be a missing scene- what happens when Billy goes home? Did he encounter someone else on the bridge that led to his death?  The idea that he killed himself because he got the girl pregnant sounds preposterous- I mean if anyone would have committed suicide it would have been her.  The filmmakers were only interested in doing a period doomed teen romance and not explore a more complex angle to the story.  It's interesting that Billy Joe's "rapist" is treated so sympathetically - we never see the act so we don't know if it was consensual- or if Billy Joe enjoyed it.  The implication is that he did enjoy it and realized that he was " one of those men" .  The story would make more sense if Billy Joe had fallen in love with another boy who rejected him and it drives him to commit suicide perhaps it might have been Bobby Lee's studly brother whose masculine beauty is very much on display.

• rayban likes this

#7 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

"Ode To Billy Joe" - 1976 - directed by Max Baer, Jr. -

Robby Benson killing himself by jumping off the Tallahatchie Bridge -

because he spent a night with James Best -

ode-to-billy-joe-2.jpg?w=584

• jaragon likes this

#8 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Jane Powell as, according to the ads, "a cannibal princess" in Allan Dwan's next-to-last film, "Enchanted Island" -

s-l300.jpg

This should have been a musical

• rayban likes this

#9 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:17 PM

Eric Roberts and Mickey Rourke in "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" (1984 - Stuart Rosenberg) - 

two awesome performances that could never be forgotten -

as cousins, Paulie and Charlie, their relationship is heart-felt and real -

when the film ends, you are eager to see them in a sequel -

172372_full.jpg

They were young and beautiful- Eric has aged better but his career is now strictly VOD- Mickey just had really bad plastic surgery

well at least he got an Oscar nomination

• rayban likes this

#10 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,279 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

"The Woman In White" - Peter Godfrey - 1948

I don't like this film - it barely manages to explain the mysterious goings on -

but John Abbot's performance as the sickly uncle is so audaciously conceived -

as a far-from-together gay man -

that it becomes a memorable camp extravaganza -

and it totally unbalances the picture -

thank God, too, because Sidney Greenstreet's evil womanizer is totally unbelievable.

220px-Curt_Bois-John_Abbott_in_The_Woman

The film should have been better. But John Abbott is brilliant. The scene in which he meets Gig Young can be used a master class in acting like a Victorian man with exquisitely delicate nerves. Vincent Price doesn't do it quite as well in The House of Usher, though one gets the impression he has seen John Abbott's performance.

Abbott's character -- and many of his lines -- are straight out of Wilkie Collins's novel.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#11 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

I blame Jane Powell, she liked the script!

RKO soon went out of business, which says something. And Powell's days as a movie star were nearly over.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#12 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Yes, what were they thinking. Is cannibal princess supposed to be code for a carnivorous sexual appetite?

I blame Jane Powell, she liked the script!

• TopBilled likes this

#13 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Jane Powell as, according to the ads, "a cannibal princess" in Allan Dwan's next-to-last film, "Enchanted Island" -

s-l300.jpg

Yes, what were they thinking. Is cannibal princess supposed to be code for a carnivorous sexual appetite?

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#14 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

s-l300.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

#15 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

Eric Roberts and Mickey Rourke in "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" (1984 - Stuart Rosenberg) - 

two awesome performances that could never be forgotten -

as cousins, Paulie and Charlie, their relationship is heart-felt and real -

when the film ends, you are eager to see them in a sequel -

172372_full.jpg

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#16 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

"The Woman In White" - Peter Godfrey - 1948

I don't like this film - it barely manages to explain the mysterious goings on -

but John Abbot's performance as the sickly uncle is so audaciously conceived -

as a far-from-together gay man -

that it becomes a memorable camp extravaganza -

and it totally unbalances the picture -

thank God, too, because Sidney Greenstreet's evil womanizer is totally unbelievable.

220px-Curt_Bois-John_Abbott_in_The_Woman

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#17 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Lilly James and Richard Madden made an idealhttps://youtu.be/N6wShzhcbYg fairy tale couple.

That dress! Those trousers :wub:

• rayban likes this

#18 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

I cannot believe that this perverse casting - Richard Chamberlain and Christopher Gable - wasn't deliberate.

But what was the reasoning - to me, it is such a mystery.

Unless it was a gay casting director joke- Chamberlain and Gable even have a spirited duet.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#19 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,260 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

I didn't like the actress who played Cinderella, either - she had no discernible charm and had a weak singing voice.

Yes, Gemma Craven was kind of lackluster. The two most important roles in the entire movie could have been cast better. The supporting players were uniformly excellent. I loved seeing Edith Evans in her last screen role. And Margaret Lockwood and Kenneth More did nicely.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#20 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

They were casting subtext

I cannot believe that this perverse casting - Richard Chamberlain and Christopher Gable - wasn't deliberate.

But what was the reasoning - to me, it is such a mystery.

• jaragon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users