We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

No Words

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

I blame Jane Powell, she liked the script!

RKO soon went out of business, which says something. And Powell's days as a movie star were nearly over.

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#22 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Yes, what were they thinking. Is cannibal princess supposed to be code for a carnivorous sexual appetite?

I blame Jane Powell, she liked the script!

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#23 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

Jane Powell as, according to the ads, "a cannibal princess" in Allan Dwan's next-to-last film, "Enchanted Island" -

s-l300.jpg

Yes, what were they thinking. Is cannibal princess supposed to be code for a carnivorous sexual appetite?

• rayban likes this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#24 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:09 AM

Jane Powell as, according to the ads, "a cannibal princess" in Allan Dwan's next-to-last film, "Enchanted Island" -

s-l300.jpg

• TopBilled likes this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#25 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:41 PM

Eric Roberts and Mickey Rourke in "The Pope Of Greenwich Village" (1984 - Stuart Rosenberg) - 

two awesome performances that could never be forgotten -

as cousins, Paulie and Charlie, their relationship is heart-felt and real -

when the film ends, you are eager to see them in a sequel -

172372_full.jpg

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#26 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

"The Woman In White" - Peter Godfrey - 1948

I don't like this film - it barely manages to explain the mysterious goings on -

but John Abbot's performance as the sickly uncle is so audaciously conceived -

as a far-from-together gay man -

that it becomes a memorable camp extravaganza -

and it totally unbalances the picture -

thank God, too, because Sidney Greenstreet's evil womanizer is totally unbelievable.

220px-Curt_Bois-John_Abbott_in_The_Woman

• TopBilled and jaragon like this

#27 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Lilly James and Richard Madden made an idealhttps://youtu.be/N6wShzhcbYg fairy tale couple.

That dress! Those trousers :wub:

• rayban likes this

#28 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

I cannot believe that this perverse casting - Richard Chamberlain and Christopher Gable - wasn't deliberate.

But what was the reasoning - to me, it is such a mystery.

Unless it was a gay casting director joke- Chamberlain and Gable even have a spirited duet.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#29 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

I didn't like the actress who played Cinderella, either - she had no discernible charm and had a weak singing voice.

Yes, Gemma Craven was kind of lackluster. The two most important roles in the entire movie could have been cast better. The supporting players were uniformly excellent. I loved seeing Edith Evans in her last screen role. And Margaret Lockwood and Kenneth More did nicely.

• jaragon and rayban like this

#30 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

They were casting subtext

I cannot believe that this perverse casting - Richard Chamberlain and Christopher Gable - wasn't deliberate.

But what was the reasoning - to me, it is such a mystery.

• jaragon likes this

#31 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

I agree that Richard Chamberlain is woefully miscast as a heterosexual prince charming in THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE. He's arguably the weakest part of an otherwise strong and fine film. They should have cast someone like Michael York.

I didn't like the actress who played Cinderella, either - she had no discernible charm and had a weak singing voice.

• TopBilled likes this

#32 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

"The Slipper and the Rose - 1976 -

starring Richard Chamerblain -

the gayest Prince Charming on record - and completely invalidating the film -

6e27733fc7944164792a2ce09711541c.jpg

even worse, he's coupled with his lover from "The Music Lovers" -

the ineffable Christopher Gable.

They were casting subtext

• rayban likes this

#33 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,827 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

I agree that Richard Chamberlain is woefully miscast as a heterosexual prince charming in THE SLIPPER AND THE ROSE. He's arguably the weakest part of an otherwise strong and fine film. They should have cast someone like Michael York.

• rayban likes this

#34 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

"The Slipper and the Rose - 1976 -

starring Richard Chamerblain -

the gayest Prince Charming on record - and completely invalidating the film -

6e27733fc7944164792a2ce09711541c.jpg

even worse, he's coupled with his lover from "The Music Lovers" -

the ineffable Christopher Gable.

• jaragon likes this

#35 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

Little William Dix stealing "The Nanny" away from Bette Davis -

the_nanny_1965_5_500x341_100120101236.jp

#36 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

Bobby Kendall in James Bidgood's legendary film, "Pink Narcisssus" (1971) -

e5833cbb18df546869f7ec138a6045b7.jpg

Does anybody have an information on Bobby Kendall?

#37 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Bobby Kendall in James Bidgood's legendary film, "Pink Narcisssus" (1971) -

e5833cbb18df546869f7ec138a6045b7.jpg

• jaragon likes this

#38 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 10:39 AM

"The Boy and the Pirates" - written, produced and directed by Bert I. Gordon - 1960

The ever-prolific filmmaker hands a whole film over to a pre-teen Charles Herbert, who was that unforgettable little boy in "The Fly" -

Charles Herbert has scary encounters while he travels back in time but, somehow, manages to get back home to Massachusetts -

His constant companion, in the present and in the past, is the director's daughter, the irreplaceable Susan Gordon - 

Below, Charles Herbert is not that happy with Abu The Genie, who is dellghtfully played by Joe Turkel -

Boy%2BAnd%2BThe%2BPirates%2B%282%29.jpg

• jaragon likes this

#39 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

Below, John David Carson as the gorgeous young man who saves us from the giant ants in "Empire of the Ants" (1977) - 

unfortunately, not fast enough, the star, Joan Collins, gets eaten by a giant ant (?!) -

Empire-of-the-Ants-film-images-a83b7e8c-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users