We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Is this how rape was treated in the 50s & 60s?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Your original list of films also got me thinking about Anatomy of a Murder but in some ways the plot justifies the rape;  I.e. that a wife like that deserves to be raped and that the husband did commit murder (and therefore it wasn't justified homicide).   Yea, the husband is found not guilty but that is because of the sound legal defense by the Stewart character,  but to me the vibe given is that the husband did commit murder and it wasn't justified because the wife lead the other man on (ok that other man was presented as a creep and thus it could be said the film offers no straight forward view of what occurred that night).

I have always wondered how the film got away with using murder in the title instead of An Anatomy of a Killing.    

Well, that is the title of the book.  And it's a better title.

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,737 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:36 PM

I would first direct you to a film about rape that was actually directed by a woman. The great actress Ida Lupino directed the film called Outrage in 1950.

Other films that are better known would be:

Anatomy of a Murder directed by Otto Preminger starring James Stewart and

Town Without Pity starring Kirk Douglas.

One film that is truly remarkable stars Carroll Baker and it's called
Something Wild, 1961; this is an independent film that is extraordinarily modern in scope.

I would check some of those films out before you come to any conclusions.

Your original list of films also got me thinking about Anatomy of a Murder but in some ways the plot justifies the rape;  I.e. that a wife like that deserves to be raped and that the husband did commit murder (and therefore it wasn't justified homicide).   Yea, the husband is found not guilty but that is because of the sound legal defense by the Stewart character,  but to me the vibe given is that the husband did commit murder and it wasn't justified because the wife lead the other man on (ok that other man was presented as a creep and thus it could be said the film offers no straight forward view of what occurred that night).

I have always wondered how the film got away with using murder in the title instead of An Anatomy of a Killing.    

#3 Debra Johnson

Debra Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

I would first direct you to a film about rape that was actually directed by a woman. The great actress Ida Lupino directed the film called Outrage in 1950.

Something Wild, 1961; this is an independent film that is extraordinarily modern in scope.

Thanks will do.  But have you seen the two films I mentioned in the original post?  Do you agree that rape in both of these films was treated very cavalierly.....to say the least?

#4 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,953 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

• jamesjazzguitar and ChristineHoard like this

#5 Debra Johnson

Debra Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

So I just finished watching two great movies from. "A Rage To Live" (1965) starring Suzanne Pleshette, Peter Graves and Ben Gazarro .  "No Down Payment" (1957) with Tony Randall and Joanne Woodward.  In BOTH movies....a rape occurs.

In one movie, the rape literally occurs within the first 15 minutes of the movie....nothing at all happens to the attacker and in fact the scene is written to make it seem like "the woman's MOUTH was saying no but her BODY was saying yes"  :(    In the second movie, a woman tells neighbors one of their mutual friends raped her the night before and it's like.....not THAT big of a deal.

Was rape REALLY treated this casually during this era?  :blink: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users