We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Watch TCM app broken after Apple iOS 10.1

iOS app

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CER1

CER1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:11 PM

I had given it up as useless after it quit so many times on launch, but after a day of two it began to function normally again without my having done anything...and it has given me no serious trouble since then until tonight...

Well, lo and behold - today, just for grins I tried the 6s plus over my cellular connection while at the mall (no WiFi), and the TCM app worked

I have to say though, those "snappy" improvements to iOS didn't help the TCM app at all... there's a bit of jittering when an image is panning... but the audio sync does seem better than before.

Some other things I'm noticing -

• as long as the TCM app is actually playing, I no longer need to set the iPhone 6's "autolock" time to "Never". (Something my iPad still requires)
  • it may be my imagination, but the iPhone 6s plus may not be running as "hot" while playing via TCM as it once was. 

Remember, I didn't have 2.16 up to now, so I can't attribute these differences to iOS or the App. If I get brave, I may try restoring the older app at some point to check if it's better. As of now - I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.

FTI - I don't just watch films "On the Phone" but feed them to an AppleTV connected to my 55" TV. This increases the phone's processor load because it uses Airplay in "mirror" mode to transfer the picture. (Did it always require that? I think I recall an earlier version that rendered on the AppleTV directly... but that may have been the VLC app, not TCM)

Pressing my luck a little - I checked the 5c (loaded with v2.11 of the TCM app) - it "works" now too. It still has a hiccup - and kicks out to the home screen unpredictably, but at least it doesn't crash-on-launch as before.

Anyway, I hope telling of this tale, and all our experiences helps someone else out in the future.

Thanks all! I will definitely post again if it dies!

Now if only my older BBC News app would begin to behave! Grrr...

#2 CER1

CER1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:22 AM

I'm having an identical problem with the app. However, I began abruptly having this problem tonight BEFORE I upgraded the iOS to 10.3. ...

Thanks for that reply. In looking at the published tech stuff, iOS 10.3 introduced (among other things) a new file system, and some alterations to speed up graphics to make it feel more "snappy".

Yeah, it snapped alright.

The understanding I glean from those error logs indicate they introduced some kernel bugs with at least one of those changes. This seems confirmed because even though the app kicks out to the iOS home screen, it's not successfully "terminated" by the OS. There's also language in the logs suggesting they are using compression techniques to extend memory space, not just to improve file storage. Such things can get complex in a hurry and expose latent issues.

I'm going to hope there's another update to 10.3 that fixes this again. ( <-incurable optimist )

Agreeing with you - folks tend to post when there's something to complain about. Especially in something that's worked well for so long. Truthfully, I saw no other place to try to get help.

I do find it interesting that your app has had issues that self-cured in the past, and that new problems came on again recently - prior to your last update of iOS. I've had similar experiences myself, with this and other apps. It's one of the reasons I tested my older "still working" device on the same internet service.

BTW - Did you update the TCM app too?

Another thing you might do, is post the TCM error log files from your phone as I did. I'd like to see if the errors are similar to mine.

The files can be found in: Settings - Privacy - Analytics - Analytic Data

You'll see a list of error ".ips" files with names indicating what app created them. To post one's contents - open the file and select the text within it, then COPY to the paste buffer. Then open a note and paste it in and send the note to your pc to post here. (at least that's the way I did it)

Thanks again. I'd sure love to hear if it's working for ANYONE running iOS 10.3.2. 

#3 Der Klassiker

Der Klassiker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:18 AM

I'm having an identical problem with the app. However, I began abruptly having this problem tonight BEFORE I upgraded the iOS to 10.3. After performing the same steps (uninstall, reinstall, reboot, etc.) I decided to upgrade the system. The same problem as before simply persisted after the new system was in place. This is extremely frustrating, but I vaguely recall this happening about a year ago with the same app. I had given it up as useless after it quit so many times on launch, but after a day of two it began to function normally again without my having done anything...and it has given me no serious trouble since then until tonight.

Since I'm not a techy, I cannot account for why the app suddenly ceases to function or recover. But it concerns me that the app itself hasn't been updated in so long, causing me to wonder if anyone but disgruntled users are looking at this forum.

#4 CER1

CER1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:31 PM

I've extracted the iOS log data files for 3 crashes on the 2 phones above. Hopefully they will help identify the issue. They are in pure text format.

• On the iPhone 6sp running iOS 10.3.2 there are logs for TCM app v2.15 and 2.16. (current)

• On an iPhone 5c running iOS 10.3.2 the log is for the TCM app v2.11 - restored from a working backup to re-test.

These are examples representing both 64-bit and 32-bit hardware, running once working versions of the App when on a previous iOS revision, now broken by update to the current iOS.

I am available for further poking and prodding should a knowledgable code-head be interested in some app debugging. 

Attached Files

#5 CER1

CER1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

I believe this is the same problem as described in another thread on this forum, dated Nov 2016.

#6 CER1

CER1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:31 PM

I recently updated my iPhone 6s plus from iOS 10.1 to iOS 10.3.2 - and now the Watch TCM app does not work. 

I checked on two iOS 10.3 phones - and it's broken the same way on each:

The app launches... we see the "TCM" banner - the main page loads, but as soon as the "wheel" spins to load a video image - focus is taken back to the iOS Home screen.

The phone thinks the TCM app is still loaded, because it's visible  when double-tapping the Home button.

I've uninstalled the app (which worked on iOS 9.1) and re-installed the latest (2.16)  from the App store - same behavior. I note that the Watch TCM app has not been updated since Dec 7, 2015 ?!?

I've tried a number of settings and devices and am convinced this is because of a change to iOS.

Just in case you might be thinking - Oh, it's an internet connection issue...

On the same internet connection, my iPad is playing a movie on the Watch TCM app as I type this post. It is running an older iOS (8.3) and the TCM App is version 2.11.633. That is the same version which worked on the iPhone up to iOS 10.1, and stopped as described above after update to 10.3.

• Is anyone else having this issue, or more importantly - NOT Having a problem with this combination of app and iOS?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iOS, app

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users