We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Naked Spur (1953)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

I enjoyed reading your take on NAKED SPUR very much.  I think Ben grins so much because he is playing everybody and he enjoys it so he just can't help himself.  Anthony Mann westerns are among the best of the genre.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#2 cinemaspeak59

cinemaspeak59

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

Watching The Naked Spur (1953), set in 1869, I kept wondering why Robert Ryan’s character Ben Vandergroat was grinning so effusively after being captured by James Stewart’s bounty hunter Howard (Howie) Kemp.  I found it strange.  Another character fond of showing his pearly whites was Roy Anderson, a cavalry officer, played by a mustachioed Ralph Meeker, who two years later would play Mike Hammer in the great noir Kiss Me Deadly.

As the film unfolds, it becomes clear that Ben and Roy are borderline sociopaths. Ben is wanted for murdering a marshall, and Roy ambushes peaceful Indians to cover up past transgressions.  The scene of the Native American massacre, today, is exponentially more horrifying.  But Howie is no epitome of virtue:  Emotionally damaged, and betrayed by his wife while fighting in the Civil War, Stewart’s Howie is hardened and ruthless and concerned only with returning Ben to the authorities so as to collect the $5,000 reward.  What drove Howie to his state is revealed in a fever-fueled delirium, with Howie drenched in sweat thinking he’s back home with his wife.  

In with this group is Jesse, a sad old prospector looking for one last score: gold.  He’ll follow any lead, trust any crook, as long as they bring the prized fortune he’s been exhausting most of his life seeking.   Jesse is played by Millard Mitchell, who gives a touching performance, much like his work in Winchester ’73 (1950).   Janet Leigh plays Lina, Ben’s girlfriend; the only person not blinded single-minded greed.   All five of them set off on a long journey from Colorado to return Ben to Kansas and hand him over to the authorities. 

The introductory titles are a bold red-orange, set against the Rocky Mountains.  The green pine trees surrounded by white mountain peaks under a blue sky make for gorgeous scenery, clean and pure.  This setting is the opposite of the men on screen.  In the end, Lina and Howie are the only two left standing.  After fighting to preserve the Union, and fighting to save his marriage, Howie finally gets his reward - and it’s not the $5,000. It is Lina.

I’m glad TCM has showcased Anthony Mann westerns.  Host Tiffany Vazquez provided insightful introductions.  It seems westerns can have a sub-genre in Anthony Mann-directed westerns: They are among the finest, and are so much more than just good vs. bad. 

• jamesjazzguitar and ChristineHoard like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users