We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

John Waynes..."Island In The Sky"...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OllieTSB

OllieTSB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:27 PM

ISLAND is a favorite because of Wayne's strongly-delivered almost-tearful scenes, so rare are those in his career.  It's also got the huge cast - like he phoned up a lot of pals and said, "Got anything going on this month?  Well... I could use ya..."

HIGH & MIGHTY felt sort of a rip-off of ZERO HOUR, but it's actually the other way around.  It's such a shame that I was tainted/poisoned by seeing the second-film first. 

Perhaps these (along with LIFEBOAT, ABANDON SHIP, IN WHICH WE SERVE, ICE COLD IN ALEX) were just the beginning of disaster films.  Holy SAN ANDREAS, Batman!!

I'm rather thankful that those directors used Real Sets instead of CGI.

#2 movieman1957

movieman1957

Chris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,581 posts
  • LocationAnnapolis MD

Posted 10 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

I had just the opposite effect. I felt "Island" was good but "The High and The Mighty" was a little too predictable and long. Maybe the predictable part comes from seeing all the other airplane movies first.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. 

G. Marx.

#3 Kid Dabb

Kid Dabb

Calling Barranca. Calling Barranca.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,839 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 08 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

I was laid up with a broken ankle when Island in the Sky and The High and the Mighty were re-released in 2005. The cable in my room only had 3 channels, with one being movies, and I was forced to watch these two repeatedly for 3 months.

Although it is different than any other Wayne film, Island.. didn't appeal to me. The High and the Mighty however.. I liked this one - probably because it's similar to Airplane! (I hadn't seen Zero Hour! 1957 yet).

FdX2C0H.gif

#4 scsu1975

scsu1975

Tor B the Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,927 posts
  • LocationEd Wood movie

Posted 07 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

It's a very good film, except for the part with Andy Devine in swimming trunks.

I'm a big boy.

#5 ladyofshalott

ladyofshalott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 April 2007 - 12:59 PM

I love this little known/under appreciated film of John Waynes. I think it is soo different than what we are used to seeing John in. Great plot line and nicely acted by a good supporting cast! I love the part where he is looking to the sky to hopefully see the rescue plane and he says " We must be awful hard to see down here"...and he has such an emotion look and sound to his voice...just a brillant snippet of acting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045919/

Robin Hood: Men, if you're willing to fight for our people, I want you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users