We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

My Top Ten Peter Lorre Films

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

Yes,  another fine idea by TB:    I would kick off the day\evening with a modern 'classic';  My Left Foot.

I love it. And it wouldn't be a complete schedule unless BRING ME THE HEAD OF ALFREDO GARCIA was included.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

There is nothing as bad as something not so bad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:55 PM

Another fine idea. You're on quite a roll.   Maybe you should be guest programmer.

Yes,  another fine idea by TB:    I would kick off the day\evening with a modern 'classic';  My Left Foot.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:04 PM

Thanks! They could actually do a whole daytime theme of movies with body parts in the title. Then for primetime do these two Lorre films. Of course, this would be for a day/evening in October. 

Another fine idea. You're on quite a roll.   Maybe you should be guest programmer.

• TopBilled likes this

#4 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

Excellent idea

Thanks! They could actually do a whole daytime theme of movies with body parts in the title. Then for primetime do these two Lorre films. Of course, this would be for a day/evening in October. 

• ChristineHoard and LawrenceA like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#5 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

I think TCM should air MAD LOVE and THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS back to back one night. Peter Lorre. The hand theme. A perfect horror double feature.

Excellent idea

• TopBilled likes this

#6 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Yea,  that was a tough choice for me to leave out of my top 10.      Well made horror film.

I think TCM should air MAD LOVE and THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS back to back one night. Peter Lorre. The hand theme. A perfect horror double feature.

• jamesjazzguitar, ChristineHoard and LawrenceA like this

#7 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:44 PM

How can you guys not mention THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS...?!

Yea,  that was a tough choice for me to leave out of my top 10.      Well made horror film.

• TopBilled likes this

#8 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Hothead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,724 posts
  • Locationaround the neighborhood

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

M

The Man Who Knew Too Much

Mad Love

Stranger On the Third Floor

The Maltese Falcon

All Through the Night

Casablanca

The Mask of Dimitrios

Three Strangers

The Beast with Five Fingers

I also recommend Der Verlorene/The Lost One (1951), Lorre's passion project that he also wrote and directed. Check out the biography The Lost One: A Life of Peter Lorre by Stephen Youngkin.

• TopBilled and rayban like this

#9 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,948 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

How can you guys not mention THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS...?!

• rayban likes this

#10 jamesjazzguitar

jamesjazzguitar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,237 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Since the top 10 doesn't appear to be limited to horror films,  I would have to include some of the iconic films Lorre was in with Bogie:

1) Maltese Falcon

2) Casablanca

3) Beat the Devil

4) Black Angel -  noir film with Dan Duryea and June Vincent

5) Arsenic And Old Lace 

6) All Through The Night

7) Stranger On The Third Floor

8) Mad Love

9) The Mask of Dimitrios  (another noir)

10) The Constant Nymph   (Joan Fontaine \ Charles Boyer)

• rayban likes this

#11 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

The original psycho killer in movies,these are my top ten favorites,comment on these or post your own list 

1. M(1931)he is terrifying and somehow sympathetic as a psychotic murderer of children,unforgettable performance. 

2. Mad Love-Lorre gives a another creepy and disturbing performance as a doctor driven mad when rejected by a woman. 

3. Crime And Punishment-though not the first one you would think of to play this famous literary character, he does an excellent job as the man haunted by his crime. 

4. Mr Moto Takes A Vacation-best of the films as Japanese detective Mr Moto,he is heroic and funny. 

5. The Face Behind The Mask-one of his more sympathetic roles as man disfigured in a fire who turns to crime. 

6. Stranger On The Third Floor-a small role but by far the most memorable character in the film,final scenes are still frightening today. 

7. All Through The Night-another of his evil sadistic characters,shocking scene where he cold bloodily murders an old man. 

8. Arsenic And Old Lace-hilarious performance as drunken plastic surgeon who operates on Raymond Massey's face and makes him look like Boris Karloff! 

9. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea-great Disney sci fi adventure,Lorre holds his own in scenes with great actors like Kirk Douglas and James Mason,great scene where he gives Douglas a punch in the stomach. 

10. The Raven(1963)one of his last but most energetic performances,as a hapless magician at the mercy of evil sorcerer Boris Karloff.

• ChristineHoard and rayban like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users