We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Any Natalie Wood Fans?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#321 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:01 AM

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#322 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 09:00 AM

#323 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

#324 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:59 AM

#325 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:54 AM

#326 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hi KJ Angel---yes, Natalie was cut off in her prime. I have visited the graves of only two Hollywood figures, Natalie's and Marilyn's (they are both in the same cemetary). I left a rose for each.

I really do hope that a nice selection of her films will be released one day on dvd, either individually or in a suitable box set. We still do not have one of her best, her Oscar-nominated Love With the Proper Stranger and it scarcely ever gets played on TV, either. It's my favorite of all her films. I even like Steve McQueen in it, because for once he can't help but be softened up by her vulnerability.

And I include her child performance among my favorites, too---she and Hayley Mills are my favorite child stars. The little refugee she played in Tomorrow is Forever was just too touching, and of course she was little "Anna" in The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Miss G

#327 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

Hi, LuckyD---I was surprised to learn she was so tiny, too, but she more than pleasingly filled the big screen. I remember seeing Gypsy as a twelve-year-old on TV and forming the quite serious resolution of becoming a professional stripper. My parents soon put a period to that ambition. ;)

I have always thought that Natalie Wood, Ava Gardner and Brigitte Bardot had the best figures in movies. Unbelievably small waists, all of them.

#328 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:44 AM

FG: Natalie had the gift in that her performances, her characters, had a way of communicating directly to the audience, reaching their hearts. You could see the real vulnerability in her eyes and I think that always grabs people.

#329 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:42 AM

Beautiful pictures, ForeverG! I love the way she looked when she grew her hair out long. So lovely.

#330 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 08:42 AM

Only 69. She would still be what I call "young". It is particularly sad because I think she developed into a very strong and appealing mature actress. I also think at least one more Academy award would have been in her future, and many performances worthy of it.

#331 KJ_angel

KJ_angel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

I love Natalie Wood.

I haven't seen all her films though but from what I have seen she was an amazing actress to say the least. As well as naturally gorgeous.

I'm afraid I don't know much about her biography so I enjoyed reading that little bio you provided MissGoddess.

I can't believe she died so young!

#332 LuckyDan

LuckyDan

Adjunct Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationCarrollton Texas

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

O what a girl!

She was only five feet tall?

I think I first saw her in Sex and the Single Girl, but I'll never forget the first time I saw the burlesque montage in Gypsy. It was quite an experience, and I'm sure my nine-year old eyes didn't blink.

More, please!

#333 ForeverGarland

ForeverGarland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:17 PM

Out of all the great stars that have passed...Natalie is one i always miss seeing on screen..she was such a great lady!
FG

Message was edited by: ForeverGarland

#334 ForeverGarland

ForeverGarland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

TCM

Message was edited by: ForeverGarland

#335 randyishere

randyishere

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:41 PM

A beautiful woman inside and out. Her death was heartbreaking, a waste of a good human being. I'm glad she and Robert reconnected and had a legendary love for each other. I've rarely heard a bad word spoken about her, which is rare. I thought about her on July 20th, her birthday. She woulda been sixty-nine. I'm sure whereever she is now, Natalie is making others happy as only she can.

#336 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:49 PM

[nobr]Wistful, brunette beauty Natalie Wood was born Natalya Nikolaevna Zakharenko to Russian parents in San Francisco in 1938 and drowned tragically off Catalina Island in 1981. The petite, 5-foot tall actress started appearing in films at the tender age of four and was one of the most successful in Hollywood at transitioning from child star to mature actress. Natalie had two daughters, one from second husband Richard Gregson, and another from first and second husband Robert Wagner. Her sister, Lana Wood, also is an actress, most notable for appearing as a Bond girl "Plenty O'Toole" in Diamonds Are Forever.[/nobr]

[nobr]Some trivia tidbits courtesy imdb.com and me:[/nobr]

[nobr]* Nominated three times for an Academy Award (Rebel Without a Cause, Splendor in the Grass and Love With the Proper Stranger)[/nobr]

[nobr]* Had a mortal fear of drowning since childhood[/nobr]

[nobr]* Dated Elvis Presley in the 1950s and may have married him, but his mother did not approve. In the 50s, Natalie had a reputation as one of "Hollywood's Bad Girls", along with Janet Leigh and Debbie Reynolds (!) [/nobr]

[nobr]* Her mother was a ballerina and Natalie studied ballet since she was a tot. Later, she would attend the same ballet classes as Robert Wagner's current wife Jill St. John, and his TV wife, Stefanie Powers.[/nobr]

[nobr]* Her favorite actress, and mine, was Vivien Leigh![/nobr]

[nobr]
[/nobr]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users