We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Any Natalie Wood Fans?

• Please log in to reply
335 replies to this topic

#21 natfan

natfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:45 AM

It can be pre-ordered on Amazon for $44.99, that's not too bad as far as price.

#22 Film_Fatale

Film_Fatale

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:07 AM

I'm looking forward to this release and I'm sure that it will be up to WHV's usually high standards. However I'm also a bit disappointed that most of the movies will not be sold separately - which means that folks have to fork over big bucks for the whole set even if they aren't interested in buying all of the movies.

#23 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts
  • LocationHaleakaloha and Monument Valley

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

Here's a link to TCM's write-up on the upcoming Natalie Wood box set, including a listing
of the "extras". It looks like Warner Brothers has done a good job, as they usually do:

http://www.tcm.com/m...=215156&rss=new

1-sophia-loren--150x150.jpg

#24 natfan

natfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:50 PM

The review repulsed me. Thank you for posting it so others could see that I was not exaggerating.

#25 Stephhxxx3

Stephhxxx3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:01 PM

I absolutely agree. Just check out the review here: http://www.observer.com/node/48689

Eyman's comments like "a woman who managed to become a major star without ever earning the bona fides of a major actress." Hello, she was nominated 3 times for Best Actress. Here's some more:

"her line readings were often flat and gauche."
"served as another notch on Warren Beatty's bedpost, which seems to have induced a mysterious suicide attempt."
"you couldn't say she was a natural screen comedienne. It's almost as if acting was some sort of violation of her essential nature, even as it fed her need for drama, for notice."
"Mr. Wagner isn't entirely clear... what a woman who had always been terrified of the water was doing trying to get into a dinghy" RJ said he knew she didn't take the dinghy.
"but [her] career is punctuated by dreary failure."
"She helps render West Side Story unwatchable"
+ "And yes, she's very moving in Splendor in the Grass , but Elia Kazan could have drawn good work out of Lash La Rue."

I'd say he's got something against her.

Message was edited by: Stephhxxx3

#26 natfan

natfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Well balanced was not how I would describe his review. It was insulting and crude and in some parts, inaccurate. RJ said the he chose Eyman because he was impressed with his work in Loin of Hollywood. I was surprised and a bit put off when Wagner chose him. There are other writers equal to or better than Eyman.

#27 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:51 PM

That is surprising, but writers can have their ego trips like anyone and maybe Eyman was on one
that day. Fortunately, I've never come across that kind of extremism in any of his biographies, and
I've read all but one of them so far. He generally comes off as one of the most balanced and fair
biographers of the current crop and I think that may be why Wagner chose him.

#28 natfan

natfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

I'm familiar with his work also. I still feel that RJ may have stretched the truth a bit.
I also know that Eyman has no respect for Natalie in a professional sense. I lost all respect for him as a writer when I saw his review of Gavin Lambert's biography of Natalie. He did not actually review the book, he reviewed Natalie and, trust me, it was not positive. It was demeaning, degrading and insulting. It made me wonder why Wagner chose him of all people as a collaborator.

#29 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:06 PM

I was prepared for it to be on the "gossipy" side. If it's of any assurance, I know the work and
trust the credibility of his collaborator, Scott Eyman.

#30 natfan

natfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

It gets more readable in the chapters having to do with Natalie but I found it a tad boring aside from the Natalie parts. It drags in certain areas. I find some of lacking in credibility.

#31 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:38 AM

I have noticed a little bit of that myself and it may explain why I have been so slow
about finishing it (I'm still only on the third or fourth chapter).

#32 natfan

natfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

I thought Wagner did a bit too much kiss and tell in the book and the language and some situations he described were in bad taste. It seemed he had so little to say about himself and his career that he needed to use stories that had nothing to do with his life.

Message was edited by: natfan

#33 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

The only TV work I've seen Natalie do was an anthology series appearance (I can't recall if
it was for Four Star Theater or some other production) and in the seventies, a rather dreary
Aaron Spelling made-for-TV picture called "The Affair". I think Natalie definitely had what
it took to go on to bigger and better things, and I can even imagine her getting one or two
Oscar-calibre performances in before the day was done. It's a terrible loss we didn't get to see
that happen.

I'm still reading on in the new Wagner biography.

#34 ding09221941

ding09221941

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

absolutely a natalie fan. you know, she did a tv serial in the early 50s as the daughter in some family sitcom. i believe she is very underrated. just listen to her voice in a simple one'liner in gypsy at the end, when roz has sung about how great she would have been on stage,and then is berating gypsy for not appreciating what she did for them and asking her who she thought all of it was done for. natalie simply ever so simply says- i thought you did it for me, mama. . and she and dyan cannon are both so good in bob and carol and..... if anyone gets the chance, she and wagner did cat on a hot tin roof for the BBC. it's good.

ding

#35 Film_Fatale

Film_Fatale

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

Coming up next Tuesday at 2p Eastern:

*Penelope* (1966)
A neglected wife turns to bank robbery to get her husband's attention.
Cast: Natalie Wood, Dick Shawn, Peter Falk. Dir: Arthur Hiller. C-98 mins, TV-PG

#36 natfan

natfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

They should so it in November. It will be 27 years this November 29th that she left us.

#37 RainingViolets101

RainingViolets101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,316 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:14 PM

I wish TCM would make a Natilie Wood tribute month for
Natalie , surely she made enough film, and has an enourmos amount of fans
waitng for a month of films starring Natalie Wood...

#38 Stephhxxx3

Stephhxxx3

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

This Property is Condemned is my absolute favorite film of Natalie's. I suggest it, along with Inside Daisy Clover, every once in a while but they never show it.

#39 Film_Fatale

Film_Fatale

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,982 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

*This Property is Condemned* is a terrific movie. I wish TCM would play it now and then.

#40 MissGoddess

MissGoddess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,749 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:44 PM

I haven't seen *This Property is Condemned* in a long time. I thought Natalie gave a wonderful
performance, very moving and sad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users