We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

The Black Cat

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,138 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:50 PM

Yes, it certainly is. But it's fun to watch. David Manners is an interesting actor.

This maybe Manners' best performance. He was famous for being a mostly colorless leading man in horror films like "Dracula" and "The Mummy", but he gets show a bit of humor in his role here ("Next time I go to Niagara Falls!")

" You fool, I was only trying to help."-- My favorite Bela Lugosi line
(to David Manners)
  • film lover 293 and Amalie like this

#2 Swithin

Swithin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,641 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

So many interesting posts in this thread, and not one mentions the great director of the film, Edgar Ulmer! The Black Cat is his finest film.

Here's a great article about the film:

http://www.slantmaga...-black-cat-1135

Here is the "Black Mass" recited by Karloff:

Latin Phrases:

• c um grano salis. Fortis cadere cedere non potest. Humanum est errare. Lupus pilum mutat, non mentem. Magna est veritas et praevalebit. Acta exteriora indicant interiora secreta. Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem. Amissum quod nescitur non amittitur. Brutum fulmen. c um grano salis. Fortis cadere cedere non potest. Fructu, non foliis arborem aestima. Insanus omnes furere credit ceteros. Quem paenitet peccasse paene est innocens.

English translation:

• With a grain of salt. A brave man may fall but he cannot yield. To err is human. The wolf may change his skin but not his nature. Truth is mighty and will prevail. External actions show internal secrets. Remember when life's path is steep to keep your mind even. The loss that is not known is no loss at all. Heavy thunder. With a grain of salt. A brave man may fall but he cannot yield. By fruit, not by leaves, judge a tree. A madman believes all others mad. Who repents from sinning is almost innocent.

#3 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:40 PM

It's a fine movie and one of my favorites in the genre'.  Unique set designs, Karloff and Lugosi together, Latin gibberish spoken at the Satanic mass, Karloff being skinned alive, Lugosi's irrational fear of black cats and young gay David Manners playing yet another romantic lead in a horror film.  Perfect!

• Swithin, TopBilled, jaragon and 1 other like this

#4 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:38 PM

The story is about a man who buries a live cat along with a corpse- I thought the most bizarre aspect of the story is Lugosi's extreme fear of cats.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,802 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

The movie has almost nothing to do with Poe except for the title . 

Yeah, that's what I thought. 

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#6 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

The movie has almost nothing to do with Poe except for the tittle . 

• TopBilled and Amalie like this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,802 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

This maybe Manners' best performance. He was famous for being a mostly colorless leading man in horror films like "Dracula" and "The Mummy", but he gets show a bit of humor in his role here ("Next time I go to Niagara Falls!")

Good point. Yes, I think he was quite versatile and just didn't get a chance to show it much. His movie career ended in the late 30s. He never did television. I believe he became a writer.

There are all sorts of unspeakable things hinted at- incest, **** and Karloff and Lugosi sado masochistic bromance

It was made when the production code was starting to be strictly enforced. They borrowed the title from Poe, but were these topics hinted at in Poe's writing?

• cinemaspeak59 and jaragon like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#8 Det Jim McLeod

Det Jim McLeod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:57 AM

Yes, it certainly is. But it's fun to watch. David Manners is an interesting actor.

• jamesjazzguitar, TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and 1 other like this

#9 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

There are all sorts of unspeakable things hinted at- incest, **** and Karloff and Lugosi sado masochistic bromance

#10 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38,802 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:02 PM

This is very strange movie

• jaragon likes this

#11 jaragon

jaragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:53 PM

This is very strange movie

• TopBilled and ChristineHoard like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users