We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Jennifer Jones romance dramas

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TopBilled

TopBilled

Film Writing and Selected Journalism

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,960 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

TopBilled, If you're going for romance and skipping LOVE LETTERS, I suggest:  DUEL IN THE SUN, MADAME BOVARY, LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING and THE BARRETS OF WIMPOLE STREET.

Thanks. Yes, I'm leaning towards BARRETTS on the fourth week. I am not opposed to covering LOVE LETTERS again, if I can approach it from a fresh angle and say something new. I think PORTRAIT OF JENNIE is definitely an essential, and it kind of has an edge over MADAME BOVARY (though I like both pictures very much). LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING is something I've been wanting to cover.

So this is my tentative lineup (unless things change):

LOVE LETTERS (repeat)

PORTRAIT OF JENNIE

LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING

THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET

• ChristineHoard and rayban like this

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#2 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

TopBilled, If you're going for romance and skipping LOVE LETTERS, I suggest:  DUEL IN THE SUN, MADAME BOVARY, LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING and THE BARRETS OF WIMPOLE STREET.

• TopBilled likes this

#3 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,960 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

I would love to see the unedited version of "Indiscretion of An American Wife", which is longer and titled "Terminal Station".

Jennifer Jones is barely adequate in the cut version.

Montgomery Clift fares much better.

I liked De Sica's use of Richard Beymer.

I don't think I've ever seen the longer version of INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE. Not sure if TCM's ever broadcast it.

The film seems rather derivative of (inspired by?) BRIEF ENCOUNTER.

"The truth? What good is the truth if it destroys us all..?" -- Mady Christians in ALL MY SONS (1948).

#4 rayban

rayban

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Larry. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING are definitely worth greater discussion. I can save INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE for a later theme. 

I'm not too crazy about A FAREWELL TO ARMS either. Since I've already reviewed LOVE LETTERS, I might just republish it, unless I can think of a new angle. 

I would love to see the unedited version of "Indiscretion of An American Wife", which is longer and titled "Terminal Station".

Jennifer Jones is barely adequate in the cut version.

Montgomery Clift fares much better.

I liked De Sica's use of Richard Beymer.

• TopBilled and cinemaspeak59 like this

"I was born the day she kissed me.  I died the day she left me.  I lived a few weeks while she loved me." - Humphrey Bogart in "In A Lonely Place".

#5 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,960 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

Love Letters

Portrait of Jennie

The third week is a tough choice. Love is a Many-Splendored Thing is one of her biggest hits, but Indiscretion of an American Wife is a personal favorite.

I haven't seen the first or third films on the fourth week, but Farewell to Arms was a big release. I can't say I was too crazy about it, though. 

Thanks for the suggestions Larry. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE and LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING are definitely worth greater discussion. I can save INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE for a later theme. 

I'm not too crazy about A FAREWELL TO ARMS either. Since I've already reviewed LOVE LETTERS, I might just republish it, unless I can think of a new angle. 

#6 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,023 posts
  • LocationThe Phantom Zone

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

Love Letters

Portrait of Jennie

The third week is a tough choice. Love is a Many-Splendored Thing is one of her biggest hits, but Indiscretion of an American Wife is a personal favorite.

I haven't seen the first or third films on the fourth week, but Farewell to Arms was a big release. I can't say I was too crazy about it, though. 

• TopBilled, cinemaspeak59 and rayban like this

#7 TopBilled

TopBilled

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,960 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

screen-shot-2017-06-06-at-7-39-09-am.png

Since Jennifer Jones is going to be the Star of the Month in September, I think my theme in the Essentials forum that month will be Romance dramas starring Jennifer Jones. Previously I reviewed LOVE LETTERS. But this will give me a chance to cover four of her other films/performances.

Borrowing the list Barton made, which four titles are worth discussing more in-depth (preferably one for each week)..?

​September 5

​THE SONG OF BERNADETTE ('43) with Charles Bickford

LOVE LETTERS ('45) with Joseph Cotten

​CLUNY BROWN ('46) with Charles Boyer

DUEL IN THE SUN ('47) with Gregory Peck

​SINCE YOU WENT AWAY ('44) with Claudette Colbert

​September 12

​PORTRAIT OF JENNIE ('48) with Joseph Cotten

​WE WERE STRANGERS ('49) with John Garfield

MADAME BOVARY ('49) with Van Heflin

​RUBY GENTRY ('52) with Charlton Heston

BEAT THE DEVIL ('53) with Humphrey Bogart

​September 19

​GOOD MORNING, MISS DOVE ('55) with Robert Stack

​LOVE IS A MANY-SPLENDORED THING ('55) with William Holden

THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT ('56) with Gregory Peck

​INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE ('54) with Montgomery Clift

​September 26

​THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET ('57) with John Gielgud

A FAREWELL TO ARMS ('57) with Rock Hudson

​TENDER IS THE NIGHT ('62) with Jason Robards

• cinemaspeak59 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users