We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Anyone Else Like Listening to Bill Burr?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:43 AM

White Knights, Manginas and Simps, oh my!

#2 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Dammit, darkblue...  These videos take up so much time.  But they can be interesting.

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#3 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

#4 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

#5 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

Bill just did his first ever Sunday video podcast. Not sure why I enjoy listening to this guy's stream of consciousness utterings so much, but I do.

#6 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

#7 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

#8 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

#9 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:22 AM

#10 LawrenceA

LawrenceA

Lone Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20,623 posts
  • LocationThe Octagon

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

Exactly, MCOH.

Basically what this ****ing Bill guy here needs to do is tighten up his ****ing act, and then he might be a little more ****ing funny.

Yep, and maybe also lose some of those ****ing f-words he spouts after about every fifth ****ing word.

Yeah yeah, I know dark. And THIS comin' from a guy who uses the word  "freakin'" an awful lot around here, huh. BUT, not NEARLY as much as THIS angry MF Burr dude here uses the f-word on his little freakin' podcast, anyway.

Ah, but then AGAIN dark, what the hell do I know about this kind'a thing, huh. I mean, seein' as how I've "lost my touch" around here lately when it comes to "being funny" and/or "relevant", huh!

LOL

(...and btw and on a different note here...is it only me, or does this guy look a hell of a lot like a younger version of actor Michael Moriarty?...well, IF Moriarty bulked up a little bit, anyway) 

Bill Burr has been around for a long time. I recall seeing him on stand-up shows 20 years ago. Like a lot of stand-ups, he hung around with other comedians a lot. While Burr was modestly successful on the stand-up circuit, he had to watch as most of the other members of his comedy circle went on to much bigger things: Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, Louis C.K., etc. And Burr's attitude and material started to reflect that bitterness. Ironically, it was when he turned darker, meaner and more ill-tempered due his being "left behind" in the show business game that he started gaining some of the bigger success himself over the last few years.

#11 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

#12 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,044 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:44 AM

I used to listen to Carlin at times.  I didn't agree with everything he said, but I usually paid attention when he came on.

This guy's not too bad...  I listened to the second one you posted.  The whole bit about Italians might be a subset of a larger point for Carlin.  It wouldn't be a very significant larger point though, basically his main points were like thesis statements in a sensible yet dark sort of way, but totally unimpressive.  He would position the meat of his act into his different topics and arguments to back up his thesis statement, and then keep yelling: "See they all ******* point to THIS!!" 

So if he could tighten up his delivery and break it up some with other topics, as well as come up with some totally unimpressive main thesis statement that would be hard for anybody to take seriously or care about, then he might be able to approach what Carlin did.

Exactly, MCOH.

Basically what this ****ing Bill guy here needs to do is tighten up his ****ing act, and then he might be a little more ****ing funny.

Yep, and maybe also lose some of those ****ing f-words he spouts after about every fifth ****ing word.

Yeah yeah, I know dark. And THIS comin' from a guy who uses the word  "freakin'" an awful lot around here, huh. BUT, not NEARLY as much as THIS angry MF Burr dude here uses the f-word on his little freakin' podcast, anyway.

Ah, but then AGAIN dark, what the hell do I know about this kind'a thing, huh. I mean, seein' as how I've "lost my touch" around here lately when it comes to "being funny" and/or "relevant", huh!

LOL

(...and btw and on a different note here...is it only me, or does this guy look a hell of a lot like a younger version of actor Michael Moriarty?...well, IF Moriarty bulked up a little bit, anyway) 

#13 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:36 PM

• cigarjoe likes this

#14 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

• cigarjoe likes this

#15 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:28 AM

Here's a clip of Burr on Conan.

• cigarjoe likes this

#16 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

I used to listen to Carlin at times.  I didn't agree with everything he said, but I usually paid attention when he came on.

This guy's not too bad...  I listened to the second one you posted.  The whole bit about Italians might be a subset of a larger point for Carlin.  It wouldn't be a very significant larger point though, basically his main points were like thesis statements in a sensible yet dark sort of way, but totally unimpressive.  He would position the meat of his act into his different topics and arguments to back up his thesis statement, and then keep yelling: "See they all ******* point to THIS!!" 

So if he could tighten up his delivery and break it up some with other topics, as well as come up with some totally unimpressive main thesis statement that would be hard for anybody to take seriously or care about, then he might be able to approach what Carlin did.

He's totally different from Carlin. Don't think he's at all interested in doing what Carlin did.

Burr talks his own talk.

And doesn't make any funny faces when he's doing it. He just talks.

#17 MovieCollectorOH

MovieCollectorOH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts
  • LocationLand of Bread and Circuses

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

Moviecollector's Corner                   *Look for what should be there, but isn't.*              Principia-Scientific.org (independent science news)

#18 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,397 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

I'm only interested in Raymond Burr. ;)

#19 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

#20 darkblue

darkblue

child of vision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,735 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

I like listening to this guy even more than I used to like listening to George Carlin.

• cigarjoe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users