We're excited to present a great new set of boards to classic movie fans with tons of new features, stability, and performance.

If you’re new to the message boards, please “Register” to get started. If you want to learn more about the new boards, visit our FAQ.

Register

If you're a returning member, start by resetting your password to claim your old display name using your email address.

Re-Register

Thanks for your continued support of the TCM Message Boards.

X

Kyle Kersten was a true friend of TCM. One of the first and most active participants of the Message Boards, “Kyle in Hollywood” (aka, hlywdkjk) demonstrated a depth of knowledge and largesse of spirit that made him one of the most popular and respected voices in these forums. This thread is a living memorial to his life and love of movies, which remain with us still.

X

Photo

Congressional shooting

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,662 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

Nope, of course not, ham!

And THUS  the VERY reason that Born-Again loser of a woman in Kentucky whose freakin' secular JOB it was to issue marriage licenses to anyone then LEGALLY asking for one was WAY out of line when she used her personal RELIGIOUS beliefs as a freakin' excuse to NOT do her freakin' JOB!!!

(...PERIOD!)

I actually agree with you on that, Dargy. she didn't wanna do it she should certainly have quit. :)

• Dargo likes this

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#2 Dargo

Dargo

An "Acquired Taste"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,484 posts
  • LocationSedona, Arizona

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:00 PM

Does a gay officer suppose not to do his/ her duty because a victim may be a bigot? This has become topic on other websites.  I will be disappointed if Scalise didn't personally thank the officers for saving his life.  Changing his personal views, time will tell.

Nope, of course not, ham!

And THUS  the VERY reason that Born-Again loser of a woman in Kentucky whose freakin' secular JOB it was to issue marriage licenses to anyone then LEGALLY asking for one was WAY out of line when she used her personal RELIGIOUS beliefs as a freakin' excuse to NOT do her freakin' JOB!!!

(...PERIOD!)

#3 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

Does a gay officer suppose not to do his/ her duty because a victim may be a bigot? This has become topic on other websites.  I will be disappointed if Scalise didn't personally thank the officers for saving his life.  Changing his personal views, time will tell.

Also, will the leadership of the Republican Party as well as all other Republicans in Senate and House thank them?  Not to mention the ones who were actaully there.

#4 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:01 PM

liberals are always the first suggesting that those who have a different view should modify their convictions just like obama did with same-sex marriage...

It's called tolerance which leads to a more harmonious society when everyone adopts it.  Too bad some are still locked into bigotry and hate and use the bible as an excuse for it.  Convenient.  

• TheCid, Dargo, Sepiatone and 1 other like this

#5 NipkowDisc

NipkowDisc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,662 posts
  • Locationzaygon hegemony

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:52 PM

No.

liberals are always the first suggesting that those who have a different view should modify their convictions just like obama did with same-sex marriage...

uh-uh, with some basic conceptions of morality vs. iniquity are unchanging just as God is unchanging.

if scalise is beholden to an LGBT person than certainly he should express gratitude but should say nothing more unless his personal views are brought up. :)

"okay, so we're moving right along, folks" -al pacino, dog day afternoon

#6 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

Of course they do their jobs regardless and I doubt there was time to think "gee, should I let this congressman die because of he's a bigot?"  They do their duty admirably and I also hope Scalise will thank them when he is able.  I'd like to think he will.  I'm just speculating.  An event like this may lead to him re-evaluating some beliefs.  Like you said, time will tell.

• TheCid likes this

#7 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

#8 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

No.

You stole my thunder. I was going to say fat chance. That's hardly thunder, though ... more like a light rain (i.e., won't happen).

#9 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

And since those Brave Capitol Officers were two black people who saved his life, I also hope Scalise will reconsider his Association with David Duke and his white nationalist organization as well.

Does anyone think Rep. Scalise will soften his anti-LGBT stance since one of the Capitol officers wounded on the scene was a lesbian?  I hope so.

No.

• LawrenceA likes this

#10 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,225 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

To CHRISTINE and PRINCESS:

One can only hope.  I've actually known it to happen.

My brother( once a militant racial bigot) changed HIS tune when he noticed the EMT who probably saved his life  during his FIRST heart attack was a black man.  He said, "If that guy KNEW me better, he'd have let me croak!" 

From that day, and for the rest of his life, I never AGAIN heard him use "the N word" .

And an "anti-gay" brother in law of mine changed HIS tune when a gay acquaintance of my wife and I "whupped" him at arm wrestling!

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#11 Princess of Tap

Princess of Tap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,360 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

Does anyone think Rep. Scalise will soften his anti-LGBT stance since one of the Capitol officers wounded on the scene was a lesbian? I hope so.

And since those Brave Capitol Officers were two black people who saved his life, I also hope Scalise will reconsider his Association with David Duke and his white nationalist organization as well.
  • Dargo and Sepiatone like this

#12 ChristineHoard

ChristineHoard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:40 AM

Does anyone think Rep. Scalise will soften his anti-LGBT stance since one of the Capitol officers wounded on the scene was a lesbian?  I hope so.

• Dargo, Sepiatone and Princess of Tap like this

#13 hamradio

hamradio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

Good news, Rep. Scalise’s Condition Upgraded From Critical To Serious.

http://www.oann.com/...cal-to-serious/

• ChristineHoard likes this

#14 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

Like many folks who engage in this kind of violence, his personal life

was, as the cliche goes, spiraling out of control. I think his politics

played a part in it, but so did his own personal failures.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#15 TheCid

TheCid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

2nd Amendment be DAMNED.    OK, show of hands.....

How many forum members are part of "A well regulated militia"?  Well, not ME.  ;)

A "well regulated militia" refers to the National Guard.  If you are not in the National Guard, you are not a member of the militia as described by the US Constituion.  There was a reason why the Founding Fathers included well regulated rather than just stating militia.  However the extreme right wingers, NRA, gun manufacturers, etc. disagree with this.

The military reserves are not part of the the "militia" because they are part of the Federal military-Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard.

#16 Bogie56

Bogie56

Prof. Knucklehead

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,787 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

There's also a lot of debate now about how the uncivil and violent RHETORIC might be responsible for the man taking the action he did.

Like they're blaming what the polititians SAY to each other or ABOUT each other was the cause of all this.

I have what's considered(these days) an odd and dissmissed philosophy about these things.  I tend to blame the guy who PULLED THE TRIGGER for what happened.  I mean, EVERYBODY has been exposed to the same insulting rhetoric, trash talk and mean spirited blubbering that the SHOOTER has, but how many OTHERS bothered to pick up a gun and try to KILL people over it?

How many forum members are part of "A well regulated militia"?  Well, not ME.  ;)

Trying to blame what people say to or ABOUT someone else, or mindlessly "tweet" back and forth about some "molehill" issue made mountainous only serves to dilute how TROUBLED these type of individuals are,  and makes it possible for others considering such action to feel it's OK to follow through.  I mean, who's going to blame THEM?  It's TRUMPS fault for "tweeting" such nasty stuff.  Or HILLARY'S fault for whining about this person or that.  Or the REPUBLICAN'S fault for doing what they've ALWAYS done, or the DEMOCRAT'S fault for doing what THEY'VE always done. 

Certainly not MY fault.  SOMEBODY had to do something about it, and I've got the 2nd AMENDMENT to "protect" me, so why NOT

blow them all away?

Sepiatone

You're right.  Everyone is responsible for their own actions.  BUT .. it is also irresponsible for politicians to encourage violence.

"I'd like to punch him right in the face ..."

- Donald J. Trump

or Carly Fiorina making political points by calling planned parenthood a bunch of murderers then guess what happened a couple of days later.

• Sepiatone likes this

#17 Sepiatone

Sepiatone

Enhanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,225 posts
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

There's also a lot of debate now about how the uncivil and violent RHETORIC might be responsible for the man taking the action he did.

Like they're blaming what the polititians SAY to each other or ABOUT each other was the cause of all this.

I have what's considered(these days) an odd and dissmissed philosophy about these things.  I tend to blame the guy who PULLED THE TRIGGER for what happened.  I mean, EVERYBODY has been exposed to the same insulting rhetoric, trash talk and mean spirited blubbering that the SHOOTER has, but how many OTHERS bothered to pick up a gun and try to KILL people over it?

Trying to blame what people say to or ABOUT someone else, or mindlessly "tweet" back and forth about some "molehill" issue made mountainous only serves to dilute how TROUBLED these type of individuals are,  and makes it possible for others considering such action to feel it's OK to follow through.  I mean, who's going to blame THEM?  It's TRUMPS fault for "tweeting" such nasty stuff.  Or HILLARY'S fault for whining about this person or that.  Or the REPUBLICAN'S fault for doing what they've ALWAYS done, or the DEMOCRAT'S fault for doing what THEY'VE always done. 

Certainly not MY fault.  SOMEBODY had to do something about it, and I've got the 2nd AMENDMENT to "protect" me, so why NOT

blow them all away?

Sepiatone

I started out with NOTHING...and still have most of it left!

#18 JR33928

JR33928

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

You're right. The usage "bad boy" usage was terrible. I intended "cute" language to mean that he was wrong to do it at all. I see your point.

I made a poor post and on a subject matter that is generally considered to be taboo anyway, acts such as these. I should have known better than to try to make a funny with this. Very poor judgement on my part and terribly executed.

I understand you.

As a maker of poorly thought out/worded posts myself,i often wish i could take back what i said,but i can't.

It is sooo embarrassing sometimes. :(

I have often wondered why the Forum doesn't allow us to delete posts that we wish we could take back.

I know of some things i said that i'd like to take back if i could. :P

Peace. 

#19 Vautrin

Vautrin

Quel siecle a mains!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Other countries don't have these kind of weapons made available to the public and they have way less of a problem with this type of violence.

Other countries don't have a Second Amendment. Maybe the U.S. would

be a safer place without it, maybe not, but it is the law of the land and

not likely to change.

Curse Sir Walter Raleigh, he was such a stupid get.

#20 laffite

laffite

Oh Johnneeeeee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

You didn't say he was wrong to do the shooting.You only called him a "bad boy".Calling him a "bad boy" reduces his actions to a level of being no more than a teenage prank or a biker brawl at the bar on a Saturday night,a bunch of bad boys having a good ol' time.

It also deflects from what your true feelings seem to be,which comes out in the second part of the post where you say his heart is in the right place...before it stopped beating.

You never mention political affiliations or anything else that would qualify that portion of the statement as being anything other than being in agreement with his actions.You only said his heart is in the right place.That reads like tacit agreement to me.

IMO the only time his heart was in the right place was AFTER it stopped beating.

You're right. The usage "bad boy" usage was terrible. I intended "cute" language to mean that he was wrong to do it at all. I see your point.

I made a poor post and on a subject matter that is generally considered to be taboo anyway, acts such as these. I should have known better than to try to make a funny with this. Very poor judgement on my part and terribly executed.

• jamesjazzguitar likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users